Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smokebelch

Variac Controller, how to wire it up

I have just brought a Variac controller to slow my extract fan down a bit. I thought it would be plug and play but it’s arrived as just the controller so I need to wire it up myself.

I am not an electrician so I had a look online to see if I could find some instructions on how to do it and I found a photo of how it’s done, I am bit nervous as it’s electricity and need some one to confirm the picture is correct, it’s the same controller in the photo so if it’s correct happy days.

Also the fan already has a cable so I just need to get a bit for the plug to go on, can someone please tell me what cable I need to get, cheers folks. It’s a 1.5 amp controller.

large.3759DF1D-68C1-4182-A8F5-092F2F155D0B.jpeg

I found another picture where the earth cable on

the left hasn’t been cut and is wired into the same hole as the other one. I think this looks better.

large.CEF91C9F-C201-4E86-B372-DDB0CCC6D7C9.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

After doing a bit more research and talking to a sparkie mate of mine I wired it like the second picture with both earth wires together in the earth terminal. If any one is reading this for reference ignore the first picture, don’t cut the fans earth cable, you have to wire both earth wires up together.

I used 1.5mm 3 core flexible cable and a heavy duty plug, I changed the plug fuse to a 3 amp.

My sparkie mate said I could use 1mm 3 core cable but where I brought it only had that in 10 meter lengths so I went for 5 meters of 1.5 instead. I cut 2 metres off and used that for the plug lead.

The controller works a treat and is totally hum/buzz free, I am able to set it on the middle setting number 3 out of 5 and still get a decent amount of negative pressure. It’s replaced one of those cheap £10 variispeed ones, I am much happier now I have this installed, I read on here a few of those cheap ones have gone up in flames plus the fan is now a lot quieter.

Edited by Smokebelch
1 person likes this

I have done it as on second picture and it all works great

2 people like this

gallery_94416_11658_4549.jpeg

2 people like this