Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DBK

All help appreciated, any ideas?

20 posts in this topic

Last grow didnt go too well for me, I'm starting to get issues again this time.

Growing in soil under LED, plants are around 4 weeks old. Had their first small feed (BioBizz Grow), temps around 25c , 20c at root zone, humidity 50%.

My tap water PH is at around 7.5 - 8, I'm using some BioBizz PH Down to bring it to 6.5..

Can anyone help?

elPq6Ew.jpgIvjdW1d.jpghXixC7P.jpg

looks like hunger mate, they are eating their own leaves, i nearly always have leaves like that when i misjudge feeding times, i would stick them 2-3ml of fishmix and that should stop it

and forget the ph'ing in soil, it's not needed

3 people like this

magnesium def? looks very much like it to me. light veins, crispy leafs and brown spots ... could be bugs too check your leaves thoroughly :yinyang:

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

looks like hunger mate, they are eating their own leaves, i nearly always have leaves like that when i misjudge feeding times, i would stick them 2-3ml of fishmix and that should stop it

and forget the ph'ing in soil, it's not needed

Thanks, I will be giving them more feed then. I never used to, but i was getting really bad lockout last grow and the only thing I could see wrong was that the PH of my water is sometimes really high, like 8+, so I started trying to adjust. Hopefully some more food will sort it out..

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, DBK said:

Thanks, I will be giving them more feed then. I never used to, but i was getting really bad lockout last grow and the only thing I could see wrong was that the PH of my water is sometimes really high, like 8+, so I started trying to adjust. Hopefully some more food will sort it out..

the soil buffers what ever the ph is, i have never had a problem due to not ph'ing my soil, my main mistakes have been under feeding and not checking my tap water mineral content sooner

how do you know it was lock out? unless you let the roots get cold i don't know how to tell these thing tbh

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, ratdog said:

the soil buffers what ever the ph is, i have never had a problem due to not ph'ing my soil, my main mistakes have been under feeding and not checking my tap water mineral content sooner

how do you know it was lock out? unless you let the roots get cold i don't know how to tell these thing tbh

When I measured the PH of my runoff it wasn't right and my plants were showing problems with the leaves when the rest of my environment/conditions seemed right. I could easily be wrong about it, feel like I'm maybe overthinking things. Last grow made me lose some confidence, everything looked good but things went so badly so quickly.. I really wanna avoid a re-run..

4 hours ago, DBK said:

When I measured the PH of my runoff it wasn't right and my plants were showing problems with the leaves when the rest of my environment/conditions seemed right. I could easily be wrong about it, feel like I'm maybe overthinking things. Last grow made me lose some confidence, everything looked good but things went so badly so quickly.. I really wanna avoid a re-run..

have you tested your water for calcium levels? mines pretty soft and that's my biggest thing that gets me atm, will have plenty of cal-mag next monday so i'm going to make sure they are covered.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:22 PM, ratdog said:

have you tested your water for calcium levels? mines pretty soft and that's my biggest thing that gets me atm, will have plenty of cal-mag next monday so i'm going to make sure they are covered.

I haven't , but it's almost the same thing happening as last time. It starts like N toxicity , really clawed down leaves. Then discoloration between the leaves and big rust blotches. Anything u recommend for testing the calcium levels?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, DBK said:

Anything u recommend for testing the calcium levels?

Yes don't bother. Look on your local water authority website and all the information is there regards what is present in your area. Your looking specifically for Carbonate salts, everything else is irrelevant as they are present in such tiny quantities. 

Most commercial composts are acidic, some far too acidic so using alkaline tap water naturally brings the pH into line. Remember also the bacteria in the soil constantly generate acidic waste products which is an ongoing thing throughout the grow. I personally use not only tap water in a hard water (alkaline) area but also a small handful of slow release garden lime (alkaline) in my final pots, naturally buffers the soil. My only problem with these pH up pH down products is do you actually know what your adding. To correct pH there needs to be a chemical reaction with the present base salts (Magnesium Carbonate / Calcium Carbonate) in tap water to achieve an acidic shift. Assuming it's Phosphoric Acid (common in pH down) all reacted Calcium Carbonate will form Calcium Phosphate which is not particularly water soluble, the plant will struggle to utilise this. In agriculture Calcium Phosphate (Bone Meal) is considered a slow release, weak fertiliser. Calcium Carbonate however is readily water soluble (obviously) so from the point of view of Calcium supply your actually doing the plant a disservice using pH down.

Find it completely unnecessary in a soil grow to check and / or correct pH using a commercial acidic compost when using tap water

Edited by Poisonata

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, DBK said:

I haven't , but it's almost the same thing happening as last time. It starts like N toxicity , really clawed down leaves. Then discoloration between the leaves and big rust blotches. Anything u recommend for testing the calcium levels?

as @Poisonata says, check out your water suppliers website, it should be something like "moderately soft" (this is mine)

it might be magnesium def mate, so i would get some cal-mag and give that a try. i really don't think ph'ing in soil is going to solve anything, if it does it will be a first in ten years of reading on here.

Edited by ratdog
1 person likes this

On 1/3/2020 at 3:48 PM, BLhaze said:

magnesium def? looks very much like it to me. light veins, crispy leafs and brown spots ... could be bugs too check your leaves thoroughly :yinyang:

I have a couple of gnats flying around which could actually be the problem, been reading on treating them and people suggest letting the pots dry out and then adding various products.. 

Does anyone have a tried and tested home remedy? I've seen garlic suggested a lot, neem oil,  D.E..

They're in their first week of 12/12 and in fabric pots, surprised tbh because the top soil gets really dry before watering.

1 hour ago, DBK said:

Does anyone have a tried and tested home remedy?

get some sticky traps mate, i was having a mare with these bastards so i've switched to purpose made compost, gold label, i still have a few about but nothing like what it was.

i used tanlin and that seemed to help, bit pricey though. be careful with what you do use though, i killed several seedlings with some pesticides, the fucking gnat larvae were killing my seedlings and what i tried killed more lol

Edited by ratdog

1 hour ago, DBK said:

They're in their first week of 12/12 

I'd be nuking the fuckers if you've just flipped, don't want it getting out of hand and being unable to spray because of the buds. 

1 hour ago, DBK said:

I have a couple of gnats flying around which could actually be the problem

It isn't mate, just get plenty of sticky traps to catch the adults. Very rare they do a lot of damage unless they get really bad

Seedlings and clones are a bit more susceptible to them but Ive never seen gnats kill a mature plant

Owd

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Owderb said:

It isn't mate, just get plenty of sticky traps to catch the adults. Very rare they do a lot of damage unless they get really bad

Seedlings and clones are a bit more susceptible to them but Ive never seen gnats kill a mature plant

Owd

Well they ain't dying (hopefully!!).. maybe I'm over reacting? 

Hard to see I guess from pictures, but the growth just doesnt look right.. blotches , spots on the lower leaves , out of the two plants one is twisting and clawing badly , the other looks really healthy but has the spots on the lower leaves. Definately no infestation, only spotted a couple of gnats..

If it helps:

Plant 1

mSXtTp8.jpgCfCLi1V.jpg

quK3NFX.jpg

Plant 2

COpx1Lb.jpgKVOaJg9.jpg

MwdXObT.jpg