Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nervous

Seaweed Eating Orkney Sheep

So it's better for the environment and the sheep by the looks of it. 

I wonder if they have considered the properties of the manure they produce? 

@twigs @blackpoolbouncer @oldtimer1

5 people like this

That should make some grand compost amendments 

6 people like this

I'm going to email a woman about a poop..

4 people like this

seaweed poo: all in one feed! :stoned: 

3 people like this

51 minutes ago, twigs said:

seaweed poo: all in one feed! :stoned: 

Now I've just got to find sheep that survive purely on coconuts and you'll be happy as Larry! 

1 person likes this

You wouldnt usually be so happy to get a bag of shit in the post but I've finally managed to get someone to send me some dried manure. I've promised some to be sent off to have proper analysis but the rest will be used in a side by side using normal sheep manure from a local organic farm. 

Watch this space.

Salt Marsh lamb. eemmmmmm lovely

2 people like this

Most ruminant animals produce good poo for adding to stuff , takes a minimum of 26 weeks Approx to break down to be usable 

1 person likes this

I'll be giving it a helping hand by cooking it along with my soil I reckon, should bring that time down. 

shame she doesn’t farm rabbits and feed them seaweed too! Rabbit poo has a higher npk than sheep poo and you can use it straight away :) 

seaweed fed rabbits poo would be a power house of a feed for plants..

2 people like this

This is the ingredients list for my rabbits feed at the moment: alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheatfeed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybeanmeal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate

Reads like an organic nutrient aha 

Edited by Nervous

I wonder if the sheep suffer from high blood pressure - they are confined to the foreshore (in its broader definition, not the narrow intertidal zone) so have a very salty diet.  Their droppings will be fine with no excess of salt at the time of extrusion but there may be salt spray which has accumulated on them between extrusion and collection.  I suppose that unless you have a sodium meter it would be a case of suck and see. 

@Socksnsandals the sheep are unique, they're the only mammal that can survive purely on seaweed (edit: they also eat some algae). They've been there for god knows how long so they have adapted to something which would kill most other animals. 

It might turn out that the poop is salty, I'm not too sure. If so it'll become staggeringly evident when the seedlings can't feed themselves. 

Edited by Nervous
1 person likes this