Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

teetster

Drain to waste

Hi all. I’m thinking of building my own drain to waste system. What’s the general feeling about this kind of system? I’d probably stick with coco/pearlite in plastic pots initially and sit them on Medusa trays an water them automatically through sprinkler rings and let the runoff go to waste.

How do you think this will compare to the likes of wilma’s or other recirculating systems? Ideally I need it to be fully automatic for up to a week if I have to go away. Just fill a 200ltr flexi tank e.c. and ph it and leave it to it. What I’ve read about recirculating systems is that you need to keep adjusting the ec every 2-3 days.

cheers in advance. 

1 person likes this

That’s what I do, originally started with a Wilma but now just use the pump and drippers and waste the run off

1 person likes this

Hey Dookie,

Do you grow in coco or clay balls and how often do you water and for how long?

Hi @teetster

I'm using 100% coco / airpots / medusa trays / open feed lines / 225l res / DIY brain for removing waste.

I've hand-watered in the past and this set-up nothing short of a revelation. I was hoping a full res would last me over a week so I might get away, but I've got some very thirsty and stretchy ladies on the go and it needs refilling every 5 days at the moment. 

There's a circulation pump in there to create a flume for dissolved oxygen, rather than an airstone. My EC and pH remains constant from full to empty. 

There's detailed info on my set-up in my diary (link in sig). Worth also having a read of the 'Automated Feeding' sticky in the Coco subsection.

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, teetster said:

Hey Dookie,

Do you grow in coco or clay balls and how often do you water and for how long?

I grow in 60/40 coco pebbles mix, I put them on the drippers sometime week two when I think there big enough, I have a couple of girls going now about 16 days old and I feed them on the black drippers 15 mins every three hours lights on which for me at the minute is always

Just the thought of filling a flexi res scares me, add to that a few days away, id be off my nut worried about how unreliable they are at the best of times, i get 3in of run off a day from 6 15lt air pots, i can dial it back to no run off, but id sooner not, have a look at a nutramatic timer, its the best thing i own grow wise, i couldnt grow a carrot without one now lol its saved me yrs of worry about 100lts of water sploshing about while im out,

DJ..

1 person likes this

Dookie, what’s your water consumption like and How big is your tank? I was trying to work out how big a tank I’ll need to last for a week.

18 hours ago, teetster said:

Dookie, what’s your water consumption like and How big is your tank? I was trying to work out how big a tank I’ll need to last for a week.

All dependant dude, at the minute I’m using 25 litre camping tanks and normal plastic containers as bunds as I only have two small Mephisto plants in the tent, I’ve never left them a week unattended but for long weekends I have cut the feed to almost no runoff and they have been fine.

I have two pump/drippers set ups so I can run different feeds but at the minute their getting eight fifteen minute feeds every 24 hours (I only run autos and at 24 on to keep warm at the minute) and they give about 4 litres run off a day but that will drop off as they get bigger 

large.6BBEAF2A-3F2C-4BCE-B20C-FEC91DBFE719.jpeg

3 people like this

That's a neat little set-up @Dookie :yep:

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Ranec said:

That's a neat little set-up @Dookie :yep:

Cheers geezer, it works well for me as I can get great yields with minimum effort now :smokin:

Im a bit under the weather just now so not going to say much apart from encourage you to do this. I have done it and left my girls for 2 weeks mid flower. My res is a 100 litre water butt. two pumps 1- to create movement of water within the res - the other feeds the drippers for 30 secs twice a day.

Bloody old sock over the pump that feeds the sprinklers aka my filter lol....all cheap and cheerful and with a couple of digi timers it all worked like clockwork. 

I did have a very trusty sidekick who went mid holiday and checked everything and she told me there was no need for her to do anything....the system worked.

Oh forgot to add it was drain to waste........which was split over 2 50 liter underbed storage boxes......all drilled diy gravity fed. 

There was/is a thread on here somewhere about building the whole thing diy.