Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Funk P

Extraction fan going through ceiling vent

So basically I've set everything up and put the fan through a vent in the ceiling. I was then told that the fan could be heard in another room through the vent in that specific room... This isn't a problem but the person who told me seemed to think that the vents are linked to next doors vents as well. I'm trying to tell that person and my self after going into the attic and having a look that the vent system is for my house only. Is this true? I've got the vent manual and it says it only supplies the kitchen and four rooms which it is doing because I've checked all the room's vents and the tubing in the attic & it marrys up.. So obviously it can't be going into another house? Also the manual only says it supplies one house... Someone please put the worry to bay 

Edited by FunkyPlant

It would be odd for it to go next door.

But can you hear them as well?, if you can be really quiet and put something really smelly in the vent, rotten fish or fart spray from the joke shop, If you can hear then gagging and shouting, upi know its linked.

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would be odd for it to go next door.

But can you hear them as well?, if you can be really quiet and put something really smelly in the vent, rotten fish or fart spray from the joke shop, If you can hear then gagging and shouting, upi know its linked.

Can't hear them what's so ever from what I've seen up in the attic and from reading the manual on the system there is no way it goes into another house just want to see if I'm wrong cause ya know we all make stupid mistakes lol

@FunkyPlant  New build house I take it? Sounds like what you have is a whole house ventilation system. Does each room have a vent and a central unit in cupboard/loft?

If so the only vents entering/leaving the building will be coming to this unit. The idea is fresh air into the central unit and dirty air out through exhaust pipe but they go through a heat exchanger so the incoming air is warmed and you don't pump the heat out of the house.  The main unit then extracts from bathrooms and kitchens and adds fresh air to lounge and bedrooms. The idea is to have fresh air flowing in the right way in modern sealed homes. 

If this is the case, your only hope would be to tap into the exhaust pipe after it leaves the main unit before it's vented outside. Even doing this you can't guarantee it won't affect the unit doing what it's meant to do.

If you're in a bedroom trying to pump air out of an incoming vent, you're going to be messing things up!.

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, monkeypig said:

@FunkyPlant  New build house I take it? Sounds like what you have is a whole house ventilation system. Does each room have a vent and a central unit in cupboard/loft?

If so the only vents entering/leaving the building will be coming to this unit. The idea is fresh air into the central unit and dirty air out through exhaust pipe but they go through a heat exchanger so the incoming air is warmed and you don't pump the heat out of the house.  The main unit then extracts from bathrooms and kitchens and adds fresh air to lounge and bedrooms. The idea is to have fresh air flowing in the right way in modern sealed homes. 

If this is the case, your only hope would be to tap into the exhaust pipe after it leaves the main unit before it's vented outside. Even doing this you can't guarantee it won't affect the unit doing what it's meant to do.

If you're in a bedroom trying to pump air out of an incoming vent, you're going to be messing things up!.

That is the exact system that is at my house, the vent the fan is going into doesnt have any problems extracting it through the vent the only issue is that it travels through the piping into my bedroom lol so it basically just takes the hot air & odor to a different room! Any other ideas on a better to extract the air from me filter!? 

Edited by FunkyPlant

6 hours ago, FunkyPlant said:

Any other ideas on a better to extract the air from me filter!? 

As I said, if your set up is in the loft, then cutting into the exhaust pipe with a y splitter would be my choice. If you persist in sending it up the pipe in a bedroom you will disturb the flow of the system and leave you with a damp and mouldy house. Have you got any pictures of the pipework in loft?

5 hours ago, monkeypig said:

As I said, if your set up is in the loft, then cutting into the exhaust pipe with a y splitter would be my choice. If you persist in sending it up the pipe in a bedroom you will disturb the flow of the system and leave you with a damp and mouldy house. Have you got any pictures of the pipework in loft?

It's not in the loft and oh well fuck the house  Fair one though I'll take that info with me when I move out into a more permanent place in the near future. 

Edited by FunkyPlant

If it's a flat, you may be able to tee into the exhaust pipe above the unit, but IME they are bastards to access the vents once the unit has been installed.