Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Funk P

Oscillating fans & controllers for extractor fans

23 posts in this topic
8 hours ago, G-Man420 said:

@FunkyPlant just dont run your oscillating fan on a controller thats the main reason they catch on fire and another reason they fail early

That's what I needed to know, thank you man! 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

Had a look at the AC fan combo & the one thing that stuck out is that the AC fans only shift half of the amount of air that a similar sized RVK or Ruck fan moves,

thats why the AC is quieter, as for the built in controller, thats just a triac with a couple of capacitors added to alter the triacs square sine wave to a more rounded

sine wave to stop any fan motor harmonics.  :nerd:

In my opinion I'd suggest you keep the RVK fan & keep saving for the SMS hybrid controller.

That's the plan mate. I have the Rvk now, so I'll definitely keep it.

From what I hear the Smscom hybrid Pro is worth getting. The price just seems so high though. I get that it's it's a clever bit of kit, but still, is it really worth that much!?

its worth it if you want something off the shelf without having to do any simple wiring but if you want to get something a bit more basic & cheaper then get a 1.5A STR 5 step voltage controller,

you set it manually depending on temps & noise, last time I looked they were about £70 bt for that price yo need to wire in two 3core cables (Doddle).

do you know if you got the lower powered fan version or the higher powered fan version  ?

the reason Im asking is that (unless you know already),  you have to match your specific fan to the correct filter. ie you might have a high spec fan & a low spec filter.

Edited by Joint hogger

@QFMAC hi. The smscom hybrid is expensive. But in my humble opinion worth it if you can stretch. I just got mine a week ago and I think it is worth it. Wish I had got one a while ago. Great but of kit that hopefully will last a good few years.... 

Edited by M Pamplemousse
2 people like this

12 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

its worth it if you want something off the shelf without having to do any simple wiring but if you want to get something a bit more basic & cheaper then get a 1.5A STR 5 step voltage controller,

you set it manually depending on temps & noise, last time I looked they were about £70 bt for that price yo need to wire in two 3core cables (Doddle).

do you know if you got the lower powered fan version or the higher powered fan version  ?

the reason Im asking is that (unless you know already),  you have to match your specific fan to the correct filter. ie you might have a high spec fan & a low spec filter.

I checked on the Rhino website chart, to check my fan and filter combo. 

I have the lower spec 5" fan with the Rhino 5" Pro filter. The chart chart states that fine.

Thanks for talking the time to ask though. :yep:

1 person likes this

stopped using those oscillating fans after getting the diffusair attached a ruck fan

didnt actually buy the difuseair just the cheap version from ebay

I have 2 clip on fans, not had a problem with them so far I have 1 that comes on when the lights do and the other is plugged straight into the wall running 24/7 

if they last for only one grow il buy again for 20quid a fan I guess I can’t moan but I’d expect they will last a few grows?

secret jardin monkey fan :D 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:37 PM, Joint hogger said:

I just upgraded my rvk 6inch 428m3/h to same size rvk but 720m3/h and kept the old filter... (i get the old rvk+filter as a kit)... should i need a different filter now?