Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bootsie

Root Aphids

Anyone dealt with these shites? yesterday noticed my mums were absolutely ridden with these. I took a hell of a lot of cutting about a month ago and only 15/20% have roots showing below the trays i put it down to being quite cold, how i was wrong. today doused all my plants with bug clear from the garden centre. as much i was would like to use less angry options like nematodes i cant afford to let nature work slowly especially how bad the infestation was. All 4 trays of cutting been complexly drenched mums and other seedings watered well with bud clear too i hope this will at least slow them down.

I've had a reoccurring mag/cal deficiency despite always using extra mag/cal i was a bit baffled, i put it down to using a new beneficials tribus it says one ml per gallon i've been using one ml per L as I'm greedy. i stopped using it once a week and it did stop but after looking into these they can cause what looks like a "magnesium deficiency". I watering all my flowering plants about 24 days in with this too it says it is fine to consume vegetables 7 days after application.

Forgot to put up the yellow sticky fly paper things this evening will put these in flower and veg room tomorrow to cut down on the adults if need be ill repeat this in 5-7 days if i have massively cut down on the infestiation i will use something bit softer like nematodes.

Moved to a new venue and its been a world of problems sorting everything out after building new rooms only just got rid of PM after thinking i as clever keeping heat in veg room using CLFs and no real air in or out amateur mistake. 

1 person likes this

I had a nightmare with root aphids, sand keeps them under control diluted soap in a spray gun kills them on contact but only way to eradicate is to clear your room of infected plants and start again, if you miss just one root aphid it will completely infest your plants again in no time

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, hash72 said:

I had a nightmare with root aphids, sand keeps them under control diluted soap in a spray gun kills them on contact but only way to eradicate is to clear your room of infected plants and start again, if you miss just one root aphid it will completely infest your plants again in no time

Thanks for the help i will hopefully keep on top of them in the flower room and looks likes I'm going to have to get rid of everything except some cuts and start over.

when you say diluted soak you you mean somthing like washing up liquid?

yes washing up liquid works good, I used to disturb the bottom of the pot and kill those that come out of the bottom the sand sorts the top out, standing the plant in a tray with a layer of sand works, little fuckers are born pregnant 

On 18/12/2019 at 9:39 AM, hash72 said:

yes washing up liquid works good, I used to disturb the bottom of the pot and kill those that come out of the bottom the sand sorts the top out, standing the plant in a tray with a layer of sand works, little fuckers are born pregnant 

Born pregnant!! That just isn’t fair haha.

ive drenched in bug clear put up yellow fly papers and every 5 days or so I’m going to water with h2o2 to keep there population down.

think I’ll set the bubble cloner up again too.

all the cuttings I drenched have no bugs left on them and in the 3/4 days ago that I did this there are lots of fresh roots popping out.

1 minute ago, bootsie said:

ive drenched in bug clear

i did this and it killed my seedlings bar two which i had to remove all the compost from and repot in fresh

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

i did this and it killed my seedlings bar two which i had to remove all the compost from and repot in fresh

Luckily enough it hasn’t effected any of the cuttings, they don’t look to happy as they were taken about a month ago but I don’t think the bug clear effected them to much anyways not visibly or killed them.

thanks fo info I’ll bear this in mind if I have to us it again.  

1 person likes this

i have them too on my skittles grow, what i noticed slowed them down a little was that i hoovered up the first 3 inches of soil and replaced it with fresh compost and perlite, i still lay out the yellow sticky cards and get the odd few getting stuck to it, but even now when i water the pot i see some of them jump out of the soil, little bastards!!

I've been using potsill ( potassium silicate) i think that might have helped  a little as NOW my plants are healthy and green and not suffering

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, dill786 said:

i have them too on my skittles grow, what i noticed slowed them down a little was that i hoovered up the first 3 inches of soil and replaced it with fresh compost and perlite, i still lay out the yellow sticky cards and get the odd few getting stuck to it, but even now when i water the pot i see some of them jump out of the soil, little bastards!!

I've been using potsill ( potassium silicate) i think that might have helped  a little as NOW my plants are healthy and green and not suffering

How far in are you on ur grow?

it looks like only one of my flowering plants was really damaged and looking bad due to them. They are looking good now I’m not in the situation to grow everything and start again I am going to h2o2 everything once a week Continuously, there goes any benificials no point even adding them any more now!

i am only 4 days into flowering...........

13 minutes ago, dill786 said:

i am only 4 days into flowering...........

I’m 4 weeks in and I really noticed the stunted/slowed growth, I’m really lucky I have noticed them when I did.

they look like there at least a week behind if not more.

1 person likes this