Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troxing89

Intake & Exhaust, On all the time?

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys & Gals,

As the title says, would you keep/do you keep your exhaust on all the time?

I've read my room needs air replaced every 3 minutes, so I've purchased an exhaust fan/filter than can do this, but I see a lot of people also setting them to go off at certain temps?

Can someone help please?

Thanks,

Troxing

Extraction on all the time. Always

1 person likes this

Extraction on, all the time, always always always. :)

Some people, myself included, have a fan controller that when the temp rises to a certain heat, will set the fan to full speed. 

At normal times though the fan is on a low speed.

*edit* haha monkey-pipped at the post :P

Edited by Jimmeh

If its a veg tent, i just use passive intake with fans spinning for circulation and top vents in the tent open.

In flower, carbon filter connected to extraction fan on 24/7

You want the side of the tent to be sucked in a little, this is called negative pressure which is good

Awesome,

Thanks guys, Just as I thought. I have an intake fan aswell, do I set this on all the time or just set to come on at certain temps?

Yes, if using intake or out take fans, they need to be on all the time, not only do the plants take in oxygen they also perspire, so  if you turned your fans off,

your not only depriving the plants of fresh air, you can run into problems with high humidity which can cause mold or bud rot, another danger with high humidity

levels is that once it goes over 80%, it can clog up carbon filters & they stop scrubbing the smelly air. Another danger with turning the fans off is that the smelly air 

can escape & before you know it you can stink out a building or even a street.

Its also worth pointing out that if your using both an intake & an out-take fan then the out-take fan has to be able to shift a lot more air compared to the intake fan,

this is due to the air drag effect you get when air is pulled through a carbon filter & the out-takes air movement is reduced by 15%-20%, so for example, if both your fans were

the same spec & due to the air drag effect, you'd be pumping more air into the grow space than what is being pushed out & this will lead to smelly air escaping the growing area.

3 people like this

@Joint hogger  made my day! Clear and precise information! Thank you

1 person likes this

Yes, keep the fans on all the time, but turn the power down when the lights are off, otherwise they will get too cold unless you have your central heating on quite high in the house/flat, lol

i run my exhaust fan 5 x per hour for 5 mins each time on a timer she is see :beer:........but mines a 6 inch. lol

Can I ask two things...

where would you position in take and exhaust? Exhaust at the top and in take at the bottom of the tent?

how can I also air cool the light? Surely not a third fan?

yes either a 3rd fan or use the outtake fan, it would be better using a separate fan for the light, that's what I used to do, but I had 2 or 3 lights from 1 fan

you could  use your existing extract fan just put the light in line, so it would go filter,---- fan,---- light,----- out the tent

1 person likes this

and yeah intake at bottom extraction at top, prefferrable opposite corners of the tent for better circulation and no stale air spots

2 people like this

Filter - fan - light - out? I don’t understand how this would work. Can you sketch it?

1 person likes this

I think what @badbillybob means is

You will need an air cooled reflector or cool tube where the bulb is enclosed and air is blown through the reflector therefore cooling down the heat from the bulb.

So filter -> fan -> ducting -> air cooled reflector -> ducting to outside the tent

Not sure about linking to other sites but if you Google

cool tube grow light set up and click images you will see what we mean

Edited by Subutai
1 person likes this