Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nervous

Rice/buckwheat husks in coco rather than perlite?

24 posts in this topic

Not a massive coco user, but I'm trying to get away from perlite and clay balls for more natural substances. 

Rice husk or buckwheat? Any thoughts anyone? They would not break down in one standard cycle. 

My main concerns were sprouts rotting in the coco, cation exchange. 

1 person likes this

Interesting thought mate! 

1 person likes this

Why add anything?Its fine as it comes from the shop.

Have you thought about granulated cork? You can buy ready-mixed by DNA Mills Ultimate Coco with Cork. About £20 for 50L. Yes, perlite is a non-renewable resource, I've recently learnt.

1 person likes this

Pure coco is all you need :yep:

2 people like this

1 hour ago, me n me girls said:

Pure coco is all you need :yep:

I've only used 70:30. Can you fully water a plant, two or three times a day, whose roots have not populated the pot to runoff with pure coco ?

Edited by catweazle1

Once the plant is filling out the pot with roots water everyday, smaller plants every other or few day to run off yes.

6 minutes ago, me n me girls said:

Once the plant is filling out the pot with roots water everyday, smaller plants every other or few day to run off yes.

I thought  so. I'd rather do it  every day at least, whatever the size of the plant, and maintain a constant environment in the  rhizosphere, so I need good, easy drainage. Just my preference.

Edited by catweazle1

5 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

I thought  so. I'd rather do it  every day at least, whatever the size of the plant, and maintain a constant environment in the  rhizosphere, so I need good, easy drainage. Just my preference.

Coco on it,s own drains freely enough and I personally never remove run off and never have issues. 

2 hours ago, Nervous said:

Not a massive coco user, but I'm trying to get away from perlite and clay balls for more natural substances. 

Perlite is made from a mined volcanic glass of the same name. As a raw material it contains water, trapped by the rapid cooling of lava. i dont think there a more natural substance that holds water + gives air pockets within the medium for them roots to breathe lets not mention over compaction of the medium issit :wassnnme:.......+ well for drainage its pretty faultless :skin_up:   at the end of the day its a grin aye. :beer:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
spelling
1 person likes this

ooops btw im running soiless mix...... 50% coco...30% vermiculite...20% perlite my plants are doing grand. :bong:

1 person likes this

43 minutes ago, me n me girls said:

Coco on it,s own drains freely enough and I personally never remove run off and never have issues. 

What do you mean "Never remove runoff"? You let the pot base sit in it?

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

:eek:

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Yep I don,t go with the faff and just leave it to get sucked back up, next day it,s gone.

10 minutes ago, me n me girls said:

Yep I don,t go with the faff and just leave it to get sucked back up, next day it,s gone.

your dope likes the salts hey bro,i`d suggest a look at your drip trays whilst dry + see exactly what your dope roots are thriving on.  :doh: 

Edited by thekingofobsolete
spelling