Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FigmentofFig

I've got scale bugs.

36 posts in this topic

Just putting that out there. I'm not gonna fight them really.  about 5 weeks from harvest, so too late to spray then off.  any one else had these? I didn't even know it was bugs. Bugs are creepy man.

That's crap brother hope you get on okay with it!

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, highway_017 said:

Thanks for the sympathy. It's turned my GSC plants stem completely grey. Looks like shit, like it should be dead. It's actually doing ok though,  which is surprising. Other plants are not nearly as bad.

I'm pretty sure these types have a waxy coating (outer shell) which if dissolved causes the bug to dehydrate. I used a detergent on red mites (similar waxy outer shell) when I kept chickens to great effect, all dead in a day (red mites not the chickens :eek:). But just how to apply such a product without damaging the plant / soil / buds I cannot say. Out of interest do you run an active intake filtration unit, mine seems to catch all manner of things you wouldn't necessarily expect to find in a back bedroom. What's the prognosis for scale bugs, I've no experience of these. Is it the sort if you manually remove sufficient numbers periodically the plant can limp over the finishing line :rolleyes: bet your mad, I would be <insert expletive> 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Poisonata said:

I'm pretty sure these types have a waxy coating (outer shell) which if dissolved causes the bug to dehydrate. I used a detergent on red mites (similar waxy outer shell) when I kept chickens to great effect, all dead in a day (red mites not the chickens :eek:). But just how to apply such a product without damaging the plant / soil / buds I cannot say. Out of interest do you run an active intake filtration unit, mine seems to catch all manner of things you wouldn't necessarily expect to find in a back bedroom. What's the prognosis for scale bugs, I've no experience of these. Is it the sort if you manually remove sufficient numbers periodically the plant can limp over the finishing line :rolleyes: bet your mad, I would be <insert expletive> 

I'm not mad. It's my fault for not identifying them sooner. I thought it was those bumps that form whenthe plant gets woody at first,until i found them on the leaves.

There's nothing that can be done at this point besides scraping them off i think.

I'll post a pic of the main stem of my GSC. It's so fucking ugly you wouldn't believe. Looks dead honestly, but the buds are OK on her. Ridiculously frosty actually.

I think the buggers could really damage a grow, but my plants are limping along, yeah.  lol

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Poisonata said:

On 12/13/2019 at 0:27 AM, highway_017 said:

Check this out large.20191214_083107.jpg

1 person likes this

Ugh, that's not good, not good at all. How on earth did it get so bad or do these type of bugs proliferate very rapidly. Small mercy that your so close to finishing, you'd be stuff in veg. Really hope you manage to limp over the finish line with something :ermm:

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Poisonata said:

Ugh, that's not good, not good at all. How on earth did it get so bad or do these type of bugs proliferate very rapidly. Small mercy that your so close to finishing, you'd be stuff in veg. Really hope you manage to limp over the finish line with something :ermm:

lol Idk... i guess I'm just neglectful. The other plants are not nearly that bad. And like i said, that plant is still making buds.

I'm gonna clean up that stem today though. 

1 person likes this

Marijuana abuse...or scale insect love? The world will never know.

I scraped off the stern and it was still green underneath. So that's good.

fuck me that's a serious infestation mate, i had them years ago from a plant i brought in from the poly-tunnel. they will decimate the plant if you don't get rid

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

fuck me that's a serious infestation mate, i had them years ago from a plant i brought in from the poly-tunnel. they will decimate the plant if you don't get rid

Lmao. Idk i think they're not as bad as it looks. They're like ticks for plants. Gross.

Just now, FigmentofFig said:

Idk i think they're not as bad as it looks.

up to you mate, they are evil little fucks and will destroy the plant before it's done

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, ratdog said:

up to you mate, they are evil little fucks and will destroy the plant before it's done

I scraped off most of them this morning. It's good for people to know these exist anyway. I didn't realize it was bugs.

1 person likes this

One of the reasons I'm so fond of these forums is it's an opportunity to learn something new regards marijuana cultivation and associated inherent problems sadly as in this case at the misfortune of others. Took the time to have a little read about scale bugs of which there are a wide variety but irrespective of all seem to adopt the same infestation pattern. As in your case they seem to prefer stems / branches rather than leaves where they remain permanently in situate drinking the plant sap. Multiple solutions exist for eradication but all involve either pesticides or shell dissolving detergent none of which seem appropriate considering your currently in flower. I suspect your current plan of physical removal may be the best and only course of action, apparently alcohol wipes / cotton wool pads soaked in alcohol rubbed firmly along the affected stems after scraping most off should corrupt the shells of remaining bugs. Any residual alcohol should then evaporate off instantly in an environment of rapidly moving air avoiding possible penetration / dehydration of the stems. Hopefully by number reduction the plant will then be able to limp over the finish line but its general health will be significantly compromised.

On 14/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, FigmentofFig said:

lol Idk... i guess I'm just neglectful.

I dunno, taken a very much hands off approach myself this grow. Look at them once every two days, generally when watering is due. Bane of some growers is over diagnosis often brought about fussing over the plants after the multiple check that day, something I really try to avoid. Main problem for me is time. I'm always against the clock to grow the next lot before the previous grow bud runs out so scrapping a grow due to problems / starting again is months down the pan and really a non starter.

Really hope your able to manage this annoying infestation, wish you the very best. Hope you get something :yep: 

2 people like this