Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

doominik

Ro water system

Hi

I was not sure where on the forum should I ask about it so you can move it if need to. 

I see a lot of you up here use RO water systems. I have looked at the prices and compact sets of filter start at few tens in pounds and go into hundreds. 

My tap water is rather hard-EC 0.6 and I'm growing in hydro (wilma system). 

Would I benefit from dropping it to 0.2-0.3? Do I understand it correct that by dripping basic EC of my water I can then add a bit mote nutes? 

What's the biggest benefit of using RO water? Are them filters from amazon/ebay that cost 50-80 quid worth looking at?

I wouldn't need a massive amount of water-80-120l/week is max. 

80litres of ro water isn't 80 litres out of the tap loads get wasted. And ro strips everything good and bad so you need to add calmag to put the good back in.

1 person likes this

RO water strips out everything from the water, this is advantageous in hydroponic scenarios where the only nutrition uptake is through the water and numbers are everything in terms of your nutrient profile. With hard water at 0.6 EC if you are growing in coco coir or a hydroponic style/medium it will be vital to success. If you are growing in soil, dependent on the quality of your mix the soil life will take care of many things. I have used cheap portable units and they are pretty shit to be honest. I own a Gromax 500/l per day system and I would say it does 8l in about 1.5 hours of the tap running max. I never use it now as I ditched hydro for living soil but I hope that answers some of your questions :)

3 people like this

So I guess it's not as simple but worth giving a go if growing in hydro with hard tap water.

I need to do some research ;)

just be careful mate

i have basically RO from my tap 0.0 ec scottish water

it opens a whole other can of worms adjusting nutrients that are made from euro/south of uk waters

It is important to understand the fundamental mechanics of any filtration unit you purchase relative to what you expect to achieve. Most cheaper filtration systems are nothing more than particulate filters with activated carbon (despite appearing when you google reverse osmosis water purification system). No RO membranes or ion exchangers are present which whilst fine for improving the overall taste of tap water (if you like that sort of thing) have absolutely no capacity to remove carbonates. By this I mean Calcium Carbonate & Magnesium Carbonate the predominate dissolved salts that make hard water 'hard'. Water purification systems that essentially remove all dissolvent content require multiple steps of filtration and are never cheap. 

2 people like this

I got a 5 stage with ro membrane spares available £25 off wish. It genuinely works and doesn't at all feel shabby it's a good bit of kit. Can't remember the gallons per hour but there is millions on there if you don't mind waiting weeks and weeks for delivery.

I don't bother with it but at the time of purchase thought it was necessary so was plumbed in and tested used for about a week then got sick of the sight of the thing lives in my crap cupboard now.

1 person likes this

@Poisonata I went through quite a few pages of filter descriptions and as you say most of them are to remove heavy metals and chloride but not what we need for hydroponics. 
I can see that ro system that would be working as in line filter would have to be very big and very very expensive.

i have found under tap filter that they claim it removes 95% of all salts inc carbonates-scale but there are no proof of it.

it looks like the best way is to get a water tank and put that ro system on for 2-3 days  per week. 
Do you know if them systems that cost £50-70 on amazon or eBay do te job in terms of filtration? I’m aware that they don’t do any great volumes

Hi, 

I'm also in the process of looking into an ro system. My tap water is tuff as fucking nails, comes out ec 0.8, 0 9. I run a tank with drippers and after only a few days I can't see the bottom as the water is so cloudy. don't think it's doing the plants or me any good. 

What would i be looking at for a kit to clean my water? Do I need a plumber to install it?

1 hour ago, unity said:

Hi, 

I'm also in the process of looking into an ro system. My tap water is tuff as fucking nails, comes out ec 0.8, 0 9. I run a tank with drippers and after only a few days I can't see the bottom as the water is so cloudy. don't think it's doing the plants or me any good. 

What would i be looking at for a kit to clean my water? Do I need a plumber to install it?

I got a 5 filter system, no plumber required. I have decent water pressure too so I didn't buy the pump just the. System. 

My girls looked like poo before, now they're looking much better (I'm still hand feeding so they do not look awesome lol

:bong:

Obie 

1 person likes this

A DI unit which is basically a cylinder that is filled with DI resin and water passes through it will clean up the water effectively to sufficient standard,  doesn't waste and does it quickly  but then the resin becomes an ongoing cost. I haven't yet worked out what a typical capacity is for a given base water ec. Window cleaners and car washers use it, so their forums might be useful info.

Edit: Done a very rough calc. For 0.6EC water filtered to 0TDS, a 25l bag of di resin will yield 2500l at 4p/litre resin cost. 25l bag is 90-100 quid. The size cylinder they use is about 11L.

Edited by catweazle1
1 person likes this

I have started using a ro filter (3 stage) from amazon. It’s labelled 100gpd but it does 7l/h with pressure I get at home-it’s enough for me. 
My tap water is around 0.6 and after pushing it through the filter it drops below 0.1. I calmag it to get 0.3 and add nutes. 
I am going to try advanced nutrients on my next grow and see how it goes. 

2 people like this