Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budmaster66

Air stone vs water pump in res ?

Hi guys what's people's view on using a air stone or a water pump in nutrient reservoir to keep nutrients moving around the reservoir and breaking the water surface?

Do they adjust the PH and EC levels in the nutrient mix ?

also dose using a water heater change PH and EC levels ? 

Ive used all 3 of these items but in my early growing years where PH, EC, Water temperature wasn't Something I thought too much into although I think far too much about it now lol 

thanks 

air stones raised my ph and gave me nothing but trouble so i now use a small maxijet pump to keep water moving

i dont ever use a water heater so cant comment on that

2 people like this

Can't comment on the airpump / fluming as I use h2o2 but I've not noticed a difference in pH / EC  between this grow (with a res heater) and last grow (without one)...... :yep:

1 person likes this

When I did DWC for a while the blue airstones seemed to raise the pH quitea lot. From what I understand the bubbles don't actually put air in the water but agitate it. Gas exchange apparently occurs at the surface, so a plastic pump will do just as good a job and remove another pH-changing variable. Clay balls is another potential variable if the nute solution passes over them back into circulation or splashes up at them in a DWC netpot. Not a lot you can do about that at this point if so. 

1 person likes this

I use a Maxi jet.

Air stones produced too much noise for me. I run my maxi jet for 15 minutes every hour, and for half an hour before my one feed a day.

Its not the airstones which affect the waters ph, its the by product of the result of passing air through the water.

the water out of your tap has excess C02 in it that lowers the ph when you fill your res.

the aeriation from the airstones will not cause a high ph, BUT wht it will do is speed up the process in which the co2 leaves the water, by gas exchange, which will in turn raise the ph of the nutrient solution to where it would have been if it wasn't for the excess co2.

And  if your water/nutrient stays stable at a constant ph for a few days, the airstone and subsequent aereation will not change the ph of the water.

And for the hydroton affecting the ph, its allways a good idea to soak the hydroton in ph 5.6 water for a few days, adjusting  as necessary, before putting them into the system.

And res heaters?

the temperature of the res will affect the ph too. Generally  speaking, if the temp increases the ph will lower, and vice versa

Edited by badbillybob
5 people like this

My experience, for 3 grows I've used Air stones in my Wilma. .. I think they are rubbish, I get a build up of coco and salts towards the end of flower which are impossible to clean out during flower cycle and I have to clean the air stone as most of it gets blocked and half the time the nipple snaps off. I'll be using some sort of jet next, maybe 2 small powered circulation jets. 

Heaters, I know it's frowned up on but I only heat my nutes during the 2st 3 weeks of veg then it's straight out the tap and into the res.

1 person likes this

Why are heaters frowned upon @Leafneck

I use both air stone and heater in my reservoir. I notice a slight pH increase over a couple of days (say 5.5 to 5.7). I kind of like the slight drift as I thought this made nutrients available at slightly different values.

But I had not heard that heating the water could also be detrimental. If I didn't hear the tank, the solution would sit at 10 - 12 c, and shock the roots when used.

I'm in coir with drippers if this is important.

Thanks.....

1 person likes this

Not sure if you read what I put in a different way to which I read it, I don't heat my res, sits around 12 degrees and I have big yeilds each grow 

1 person likes this

I must have misunderstood. I thought you were implying that heating the reservoir is a bad thing. My mistake.....

1 person likes this

I use air stones to agitate, just to guard against precipitation, using a pump will create a little bit of heat as it's a mechanical device.

And depending on what system you are running, there  will end up with roots in the pump. As said, they also introduce heat into the res which could be a problem, depending on temps.

heating your res isn't neccesarily a bad thing, as long as the temps remain fairly stable, the sweet spot being 19 degrees. 

its more of an issue in dwc or rdwc, but the temperature also has an affect on the dissolved oxygen levels in the water.

The higher the temp the less dissolved oxygen, which might make you think if you go lower the plants will grow quicker, because there is more D.O. but that's not the case, if you go too low it will shock the roots but even if you just go to , say 16, it will actually reduce their growth and stunt them.

its a fine balance, but if you get it right its well worth it. 

This is why I tell people to buy chillers for dwc or rdwc if their temps are prone to going too high.

If the pots are insulated it helps.

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

I had a problem with a noisy airstone once, and what I did was wrap the ends of the airstone in rubber bands, then laid it down in the res, and it stopped the loud buzzing so much ;)