Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Greenhaus

Help Me!!! Im under attack

44 posts in this topic

Hey 420

 

Please help, my plants have been under the weather for the last few days, so today I decided to test some run off to see is ph was ok..... I flushed some ph adjusted water though the pots and I was a bit bummed it came out reading  6.7. I’m growing in coco and aim for 5.8  6.2.

 

Any hoo after draining the runoff I notice little small white things popping/jumping about in the runoff.. I’ve been researching and it looks like I have springtails!! Ok so it says they’re harmless, don’t panic! But wait..... there’s more! At even closer inspection I can see tiny tiny translucent worms wriggling about in there as well... internet suggests fungus gnat larvae...

 

Thing is I have no gnats in my garden, well except 2 that we’re caught on sticky traps couple weeks ago.... I have at least 10 traps dotted about and they’re all clean?? I see nothing of the above on top of the soil.... they must just be inside my pots?

 

can anyone please help me get rid of these things... any suggestions what I can do to kill them off and return my garden to full health? 

 

Thanks guys

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Greenhaus said:

Hey 420

 

Please help, my plants have been under the weather for the last few days, so today I decided to test some run off to see is ph was ok..... I flushed some ph adjusted water though the pots and I was a bit bummed it came out reading  6.7. I’m growing in coco and aim for 5.8  6.2.

 

Any hoo after draining the runoff I notice little small white things popping/jumping about in the runoff.. I’ve been researching and it looks like I have springtails!! Ok so it says they’re harmless, don’t panic! But wait..... there’s more! At even closer inspection I can see tiny tiny translucent worms wriggling about in there as well... internet suggests fungus gnat larvae...

 

Thing is I have no gnats in my garden, well except 2 that we’re caught on sticky traps couple weeks ago.... I have at least 10 traps dotted about and they’re all clean?? I see nothing of the above on top of the soil.... they must just be inside my pots?

 

can anyone please help me get rid of these things... any suggestions what I can do to kill them off and return my garden to full health? 

 

Thanks guys

I have a springtail infestation I always notice them during flower and toward the end ther in ther millions I managed to capture them on the microscope but I haven't seen worms which I will now be on the hunt for sorry I can't help killing them any way hears the springtails I caught what I can't understand is were the hell they come from large.IMG-20191118-WA0000-652x367.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

get yourself a bottle of scotts bug clear :yep:  i had spider mite about 6 weeks back on a new cutting i housed 1 application of scotts abbracadabbra no more bugs,i misted the whole groom with it floor walls and pots :beer:   best bug killer i ever had. :yep:  

Edited by thekingofobsolete
spelling
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

I have a springtail infestation I always notice them during flower and toward the end ther in ther millions I managed to capture them on the microscope but I haven't seen worms which I will now be on the hunt for sorry I can't help killing them any way hears the springtails I caught what I can't understand is were the hell they come from large.IMG-20191118-WA0000-652x367.jpeg

 

No worries bro, glad you just had time to reply... I’m in the same boat..... don’t know where the fuck they’ve come from because i clean and sterilise all my room and equipment in between grows, I have filters on my outake, so don’t know where these could of come from, other than being in the coco/soil originally. I only first noticed the springtails and wasn’t till later I noticed the little worms.. it makes my skin crawl thinking they’re all living inside my pots, potentially eating all my roots. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Greenhaus said:

 

No worries bro, glad you just had time to reply... I’m in the same boat..... don’t know where the fuck they’ve come from because i clean and sterilise all my room and equipment in between grows, I have filters on my outake, so don’t know where these could of come from, other than being in the coco/soil originally. I only first noticed the springtails and wasn’t till later I noticed the little worms.. it makes my skin crawl thinking they’re all living inside my pots, potentially eating all my roots. 

That's the conclusion IV come to that ther already in the Coco I use Canna Coco would be interesting to see if any one els is finding them in it also just noticed u say u have a filter on ya outtake I'm not the most clued up grower yet but you should definitely filter your intake I just use a pair of the miss tights over it peace I will reply to anything I can help with or at least feel I can 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, thekingofobsolete said:

get yourself a bottle of scotts bug clear :yep:  i had spider mite about 6 weeks back on a new cutting i housed 1 application of scotts abbracadabbra no more bugs,i misted the whole groom with it floor walls and pots :beer:   best bug killer i ever had. :yep:  

This will be kept very much in my mind cheers pal 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Bug clear is for foliage , not for soil or coco pests in media irc. Spring tales I have and they don't seem to damage nout as seen in diaries . When I had fungas gnats I used Aptus soil attack liquid and it worked , applied once and they not come back . I think it may be neem based , not sure ...:oldtoker:

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Xmgsneakyg said:

That's the conclusion IV come to that ther already in the Coco I use Canna Coco would be interesting to see if any one els is finding them in it also just noticed u say u have a filter on ya outtake I'm not the most clued up grower yet but you should definitely filter your intake I just use a pair of the miss tights over it peace I will reply to anything I can help with or at least feel I can 

 

Sorry mate I meant to write intake not outtake... I have bug mesh at the beginning of my ducting...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

Bug clear is for foliage , not for soil or coco pests in media irc. Spring tales I have and they don't seem to damage nout as seen in diaries . When I had fungas gnats I used Aptus soil attack liquid and it worked , applied once and they not come back . I think it may be neem based , not sure ...:oldtoker:

 

Do I just dilute this with water and soak the soil?

 

I’m going to buy some or maybe hydrogen peroxide 3% as I’ve read it doesn’t harm the plant and kills any pests on contact.

 

The reason I first noticed them is because the plants have stopped growing... no new growth at all and seem wilted.. It might be true with springtails but that’s what’s making me think it’s something else....

 

it says fungus gnat larvae eat the roots?? But yet it also says they have a black head and the ones in my runoff don’t they’re just tiny white/translucent ???

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@Greenhaus Firstly if they are springtails I never treat for that , only if I get gnats .. Aptus soil attack is 2.5 to 5 ml per ten litre , it says " prevents problems with soil Bourne insects that nestle in substrate and harm the root system . It's a100% organic product that is mot harmful for your plant or natural predators " ..:oldtoker:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Arthur Mix said:

@Greenhaus Firstly if they are springtails I never treat for that , only if I get gnats .. Aptus soil attack is 2.5 to 5 ml per ten litre , it says " prevents problems with soil Bourne insects that nestle in substrate and harm the root system . It's a100% organic product that is mot harmful for your plant or natural predators " ..:oldtoker:

 

Thanks arthur I’ve just ordered some of this and should be here Wednesday, in the mean time I’m going to let the pots dry out as I read this helps stop them breeding.

 

It’s not really the springtails that have me worried it’s the little worms... my plants are just not growing at all now they’ve come to a complete standstill, plants showing some deficiencies also (purple stems on the leaves and middle veins)

 

my EC is 1.4 canna nutrients

PH 6.0 runoff 6.5

temps 26 on 20 off

humudty 60%

4 600 watt hps

plenty of air flow

 

Am I missing something?

 

everything is dialled in so it has too be the bugs in the soil??? Hope this Aptus does the trick and brings em back to health

 

 

 

Edited by Greenhaus

Share this post


Link to post

Could be good roots causing slow growth as well , is the 20c lights off at ground level , if so the media will be cooler than that .. I would not let the coco dry out either , maybe a lighter feed instead till the Aptus arrives ..:oldtoker: 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

Could be good roots causing slow growth as well , is the 20c lights off at ground level , if so the media will be cooler than that .. I would not let the coco dry out either , maybe a lighter feed instead till the Aptus arrives ..:oldtoker: 

 

What do you mean when you say good roots? Ok I’ll take the advice and just give them a light watering... I have some hydrogen peroxide 3% I might give them some of this in the water... iv read it really helps against bugs in the soil... would you by any chance know the dilution rate? Looked online and getting all different answers.... 

 

20c is just the min air temp on my monitor placed around canopy level...

Share this post


Link to post

It may be cold riots causing slow growth it can happen , it does help to see pics . Look at my diary that’s what I call good roots , it is coco you using ? Keep saying soil .. peroxide does kill pests but also any beneficials used 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arthur Mix said:

It may be cold riots causing slow growth it can happen , it does help to see pics . Look at my diary that’s what I call good roots , it is coco you using ? Keep saying soil .. peroxide does kill pests but also any beneficials used 

 

Sorry Arthur, old habits die hard... I mean to say coco! I’ve put the monitor at ground level and will check it tomorrow when the lights come on. I might hold off on the peroxide and maybe just use as a foliage spray to keep away any gnats and just use the Aptus for the drench...

 

ill try get some pics up soon to show how they’re looking.. they don’t look too bad tbh but they’ve definitely stopped growing and been slow overall. 

 

Canna website suggest the deficiency is sulpher, when leaf stem and vein is purple due to a high PH and suggests Epsom salts as a remedy? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now