Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hogro

Recommendations on new Nutrients.

23 posts in this topic

Hesi tnt for veg and hesi coco for bloom is all I use and a little root stim, no need for all the other magic potions.

1 person likes this

52 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

I'm a simple man and use just ionic grow/bloom in dwc.

I tried the boost but it messed with my ph so much I fucked it off.

I've been around the block with nutes and having tried all sorts at all costs I've come to the conclusion ionic suits me and my plants the best.

Coco Ive never done but many exellent growers I know swear by hesi

Most brands will get you to where you want to be to be honest,I think environment is more important.

If you haven't got a good environment then you'll never get the best from any nutrient line.

It's a minefield for sure!

Good luck

I'm using ionic grow and bloom now. My first time though so still getting the hang of things

Hesi Coco for me 

I first switched to Hesi around 5-6 years ago because Eskobar used them and said I should give them a go and I've never looked back or thought about switching 

Easy to use and always get good results although I only use root complex , Coco grow and bloom and supervit .

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Rufus Brown said:

Withnailed as I quoted myself by mistake

Edited by Rufus Brown

2 hours ago, Bigbob88 said:

@badbillybob @stu914 @stu sleeper 20vt what do you guys use?

ionic grow and bloom, sometimes their pk, canna cal mag, growth technology silicone and ph down , that's it

its all you need, and you don't need the pk if im perfectly honest.

1 person likes this

On 24/11/2019 at 3:00 PM, badbillybob said:

ionic grow and bloom, sometimes their pk, canna cal mag, growth technology silicone and ph down , that's it

its all you need, and you don't need the pk if im perfectly honest.

Do you think the cal mag is always required for coco? I've been tempted to try it for a while.

If you go down the dwc root I can voucher for advance nutrients sensi line I’m just coming to the end of my first dwc run and it’s been smooth sailing no PH adjustment just mix check EC and your off. 

30 minutes ago, mrevolve said:

Do you think the cal mag is always required for coco? I've been tempted to try it for a while.

no, not always. there are differing viewpoints on this and im by no means an expert on coco, I hate the stuff personally, but anyway, I digress. 

first viewpoint is that its only required if your plants show deficiencies in either  cal or magnesium. 

2nd viewpoint is that due to cation exchange it should be used throughout the grow. iheres the low down stolen from the net. 

Coco is known as a neutral grow medium, but there are cation exchange sites in coco. These sites on the surface of the coco fibers will form bonds with particular nutrient cations. The cation exchange capacity of coco is unlike soil or other grow media. There are far fewer exchanges and the exchange sites will become stable (buffered) once they attach to Ca or Mg.

The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the sites have a weak hold on the Na and K cations. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. Once the cation exchange sites in coco have locked on to Ca or Mg, they are “buffered” and stay stable.

The cation exchange sites in unbuffered coco can pull nearly all the Ca and Mg out of a nutrient solution. If you try to grow cannabis plants in unbuffered coco, they will experience Ca deficiency. This is tough to correct while plants are growing because Cal Mag supplements have a strong impact on electrical conductivity (EC). As a result, the total dose of CalMag that you can provide is limited, even though it all may be going to the coco and none to the plant.

Buffering the coco in advance is a critical step to creating an ideal growing media. However, even in fully and properly buffered coco, you should continue to provide additional Cal Mag supplement.

Why do you need Cal Mag Supplement If the Coco is Buffered?

The simple answer is that the coco is constantly breaking down. As large fibers of coco break down in the pots they expose new surface areas of the coco fiber. This also exposes new cation exchange sites that will take Ca and Mg from your nutrient solution and reduce the amount available to the plant.

When to use CalMag in Coco

You should add CalMag supplement to all the irrigation water that you provide to the plant throughout the grow. When adding Cal Mag supplement, you are not adding it for your plants! You are adding it to satisfy the coco. The amount that you need to add reflects the needs of the coco, not the plant.

Coco breaks down due to a variety of factors, but you can expect it to need the most Cal Mag supplement early in the grow. The fresh coco will have the greatest potential to break apart and this is hastened by the roots of growing plants. Young plants spend much of the energy pushing their roots through the coco. As they do so, they contribute to breaking it down and create an ongoing need for additional Ca and Mg to be added. Later in the grow, as plants are flowering, the coco will have become more stable and as a result it will need less Cal Mag supplement. This is helpful, as Bloom Boosters can step in and fill the EC quota that CalMag can surrender.

Hope this helps.

2 people like this