Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hogro

New system recommendations..

Evening all :skin_up:

Im after some recommendations for a new system and potential looking at moving away from COCO. I’ve been a grower in COCO for 4 years now and having recently moved the disposal / possible reuse is being unfeasible.

I currently use a RHIZOSYSTEM drip and drain, using this for just after a year with some good results, it’s actually a good bit of kit.

But as above COCO is just no longer the ideal option. I’ve look at RDWC or a flood and drain and would love some help picking a system.

ideally anything that uses clay pebbles so I don’t need to get rid of bags of coco after a grow.

Edited by Hogro
1 person likes this

Can't offer any advice but I'm looking at building myself a system very similar to what you describe so I'm interested to see what gets recommend :yep:

why not re-use your coco?

riddle it, and throw away the root mass, then treat it to a dose or 2 of rhizo, or cannazym, cant remember which cos im stoned and havnt done coco (properly)  for years. the one that breaks down the dead roots.

or if you want to go rdwc, or flood and drain there are loads of options, building your own being the cheapest. have a look in my sig for ideas.

flood and drain is another good system, id advise going for the bigger buckets if you do flood and drain. 

A mate uses this system and seems to do pretty well from it. 

Edited by badbillybob
4 people like this

Think it's cannazym for reusing the Coco. Never bothered myself as I can dispose of in compost pile.  the ease of coir disposal was the reason I stopped nft. Rockwool seems indestructible. Dwc looks sweet.....

2 people like this

11 hours ago, badbillybob said:

why not re-use your coco?

riddle it, and throw away the root mass, then treat it to a dose or 2 of rhizo, or cannazym, cant remember which cos im stoned and havnt done coco (properly)  for years. the one that breaks down the dead roots.

or if you want to go rdwc, or flood and drain there are loads of options, building your own being the cheapest. have a look in my sig for ideas.

flood and drain is another good system, id advise going for the bigger buckets if you do flood and drain. 

A mate uses this system and seems to do pretty well from it. 

Good advice, definitely get the bigger than iws 11ltr buckets if you decide on flood and drain, I'm in the process of dismantling my two f+d systems and returning to nft semi automated by adding floats to the tanks, plants are much more vigorous especially under stronger lights, the next step is led's very scary for a mh/hps grower..... regardless of what system you decide on its your environment that will dictate your end result, good luck.....

1 person likes this

On 21/11/2019 at 7:49 AM, trichomehi said:

Good advice, definitely get the bigger than iws 11ltr buckets if you decide on flood and drain, I'm in the process of dismantling my two f+d systems and returning to nft semi automated by adding floats to the tanks, plants are much more vigorous especially under stronger lights, the next step is led's very scary for a mh/hps grower..... regardless of what system you decide on its your environment that will dictate your end result, good luck.....

cheers for the reply lads. Sifting through your reuse isn’t much of an option with the mess. Tried it before and almost ended in divorce just like the time I washed my fabric pots in the bath :george: didnt end well haha.! And being inner city it’s hard to dispose of bags of waste coco.

i looked at DWC but it looks like a shit load of work and cost although this would be nice to try. I might buy a single bucket and try one.

I liked the idea of flood and drain and the clay pebbles being able to reuse them.

id dare say my environment is fairly dialled in. I have EC fans both fully controlled with temp sensors and balanced with the intake from the house holding a steady 20 degrees lights off and 23-25 lights on. Running Gavita lights for good measure. 

Two difuseairs and 2 fans for air movement. With a dehumidifier if needed but so far it’s still in the box.

only use 12l fabric pots to minimise waste but did consider jumping to 16l and lowering plant numbers but in the end it’s almost the same amount of coco

I’ts more just about the disposal of waste now....

1 person likes this

My friend I've used clay pebbles and I found it a pain to wash them. But that said, it's easier than coco.

I found the roots hugged the pebbles and you still end up with root balls you need to dispose of. I actually went to Coco to make the process easier lol.

I know people on here have luck re-using both coco and pebbles.

Is there no way you can find a local area to dump the coco? 

I was actually looking at the Rhizosystem. I run 25litre pots. I made my own drain to waste / re-circulate (if I need it to) system. It's so much easier buying something that's for sure. I notice my humidity is quite high, having open water makes a huge difference. I notice the pro-industry in US cover everything up.

If you want a pebble replacement. I had some good success in my earlier years using the Wilma systems. Just a pain in the ass with the big reservoir and tanks. Which is why I now feed the pots individually with their own catch tray, much like your current setup.

Personally. If I was stuck with waste. I would re-use Coco. The process of pulling the root ball, processing it to clean it ready for the next cycle, will be similar in some ways. And throwing a root ball of coco in a hedge won't do any harm like pebbles. Can't throw that! My mum's hedge is looking amazing now with all the waste coco :D Not as good as the horse muck, but all go together!

Btw, I'm well impressed with your lights on temps! I wish I could get that low with them on. 26.5-27.1 is my usual.

9 hours ago, mrevolve said:

My friend I've used clay pebbles and I found it a pain to wash them. But that said, it's easier than coco.

I found the roots hugged the pebbles and you still end up with root balls you need to dispose of. I actually went to Coco to make the process easier lol.

I know people on here have luck re-using both coco and pebbles.

Is there no way you can find a local area to dump the coco? 

I was actually looking at the Rhizosystem. I run 25litre pots. I made my own drain to waste / re-circulate (if I need it to) system. It's so much easier buying something that's for sure. I notice my humidity is quite high, having open water makes a huge difference. I notice the pro-industry in US cover everything up.

If you want a pebble replacement. I had some good success in my earlier years using the Wilma systems. Just a pain in the ass with the big reservoir and tanks. Which is why I now feed the pots individually with their own catch tray, much like your current setup.

Personally. If I was stuck with waste. I would re-use Coco. The process of pulling the root ball, processing it to clean it ready for the next cycle, will be similar in some ways. And throwing a root ball of coco in a hedge won't do any harm like pebbles. Can't throw that! My mum's hedge is looking amazing now with all the waste coco :D Not as good as the horse muck, but all go together!

Btw, I'm well impressed with your lights on temps! I wish I could get that low with them on. 26.5-27.1 is my usual.

Looks like I’ll stick with Coco and do some reccies to find a spot to dump haha.! 

The system is good and have no complaints just wanted to minimise waste coming out the house. That’s why I was thinking RDWC and popping root balls in the garden waste bin. 

Thanks, it’s taken some time and investment to maintain temps but found the Systemair fans to be amazing! The controllers really work a dream at balancing and maintaining constant temperatures. Also helps I bring air in from another room and have plenty of air flow helping out.

Ive had issues in the past that’s why I over compensated with an excessive fan to move the air when needed. It’s worked a dream.! 

I am now to growing so can not compare to anything apart from soil but i'm using wilma system now and it works well and its dead easy to setup and use. 

I run 8x18l filled with clay pebbles and its all very clean I had no issues so far. In veg stage I could fill it with 70-80l of water and just leave it for a week as it my pH was still in range and ec wos ok. Now they went into flower so its all much more dynamic ;) 

@Hogro  Why not go NFT? Easy to set up and no media whatsoever to dispose of. The only real drawback is you cant easily move the plants once theyre on the tray

1 person likes this

The other drawback to nft is keeping the res temps down in the warmer months. Fine if your around all the time, you can just keep adding frozen bottles but if you want to go away for a few days it can soon get pretty warm.

RTA its the best hydro system since they sliced that loaf, imo obviously :yep:

DJ....

I've tried most systems, currently in DWC...I'm going back to a 6' x  2' flood and drain table (not individual buckets) using 4" dwc mesh pots and pebbles...

With the lightproof lid on roots should exit the pots and lay on the table forming a root mat as they do with NFT, with short, frequent and shallow floods,

the roots will be super-oxyenated and free to fill the tray/table, it will also keep them warm during the cold times (heater in the res)

and in summer when it's hot as they're not in the nutes, I shouldn't need a chiller, fingers crossed.

The only waste to get rid of will be a few pebbles from the mesh pots and the root mat, probably no more than a carrier bag full.

That's the plan...:yep:

2 people like this