Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Bushmat

Maintaining bud aroma

Hi guys,

whats the the best way to maintain the bud aroma when harvesting?

need some advice on the key factors of how not to lose the smell.

last attempt had a slight hay scent to it!

thanks

Edited by Bushmat
1 person likes this

Drying too fast or too slow is your enemy. Slower is better than faster. Too fast causes hay smell and ruins smells/flavor imo

Would take off all leaves with no trichomes, chop plants at main stem, hang upside down in a dark tent for 7-10 days.

Aim for around 60% humidity and 20c temp. Have a fan blowing air around the floor level, not directly aimed at hanging plants. Exhaust fan/carbon filter is good for bringing humidity down at first if it's too high, should become more stable after a few days.

When the flowers become a bit dry on the outside, but still clearly have moisture inside is a good time to move on with trimming and curing.

Put them into jars/boxes/whatever you wish to cure them in. Burp them regularly at first to allow moisture to redistribute. You want to keep some moisture inside the buds, don't let them completely dry out. You want to slowly lower the moisture until they are perfect to smoke, not too dry.

Trim sugar leaves straight away when you put into jars, or trim slowly over the following few days/week. These leaves are great for making extracts/edibles/whatever you wish

Always tasty and smelly flowers this way. Maybe better methods but it does the job :)

4 people like this

26 minutes ago, Nature said:

Drying too fast or too slow is your enemy. Slower is better than faster. Too fast causes hay smell and ruins smells/flavor imo

Would take off all leaves with no trichomes, chop plants at main stem, hang upside down in a dark tent for 7-10 days.

Aim for around 60% humidity and 20c temp. Have a fan blowing air around the floor level, not directly aimed at hanging plants. Exhaust fan/carbon filter is good for bringing humidity down at first if it's too high, should become more stable after a few days.

When the flowers become a bit dry on the outside, but still clearly have moisture inside is a good time to move on with trimming and curing.

Put them into jars/boxes/whatever you wish to cure them in. Burp them regularly at first to allow moisture to redistribute. You want to keep some moisture inside the buds, don't let them completely dry out. You want to slowly lower the moisture until they are perfect to smoke, not too dry.

Trim sugar leaves straight away when you put into jars, or trim slowly over the following few days/week. These leaves are great for making extracts/edibles/whatever you wish

Always tasty and smelly flowers this way. Maybe better methods but it does the job :)

Have you ever used Boveda? 

Are they any good for keeping the smell nice?

2 people like this

@Bushmat

Never personally had or seen a need to use them. You can lower and maintain moisture yourself without them. The buds should be stinking/smelly without Boveda if you dried and cured them properly.

They might be good for keeping your flowers fresh in the long term, if you plan to store them for a long time. Or if you over dried.

imo ewe aint left it dry long enough properly,try leaving it 2 more weeks next time and stop messing with it,just hang it in a bud drying net / rack.......+ leave it be for 3 weeks but do toss it about / poke it with a stick daily,but dont be to ruff,then your dope will come good,in the dark at about 20 degrees is good. :yep:    then be prepared to dribble after a bowlful   lol  if it smells of hay its not dry properly. :headpain:

Edited by thekingofobsolete
1 person likes this

You dont lose the aroma if you slow dry also i aim to touch them as little as possible...cut at stem base take main fans off and hang....i aim for a 60/60 reading on the temp and humidity...after a couple weeks maybe more they are ready for the manicure...

large_115.jpglarge_118.jpg

It must be said though that some varieties can be very sensitive to the drying part of the cycle and can/will lose its scent if done incorrectly :yep: 

Farmer G 

3 people like this

i have to leave mine for a minimum of 2 weeks hanging sometimes 3 weeks .

it all depends of the humidity and room temp .

in the summer unless you have aircon the temps will be above the ideal , thus drying the crop faster .

10 days hanging is too quick it`s no where near dry enough .

i dont de-leaf till it needs doing or if i want a load for jarring

1 person likes this

For my first crop I used Boveda 62% packs for the curing stage, two 8 gram packs per 1 litre jar (each jar containing circa 1.4 ounces dried weight)

large.Final.jpg

Some three months on I can report they've done there job well. Drying as previous members have stated should always be done slowly, mid summer when my harvest was due they dried a little too quickly in four/five days despite my best efforts. Since being in the jar the 'plant/hay' smell which was evident at harvesting completely disappeared and only the nice aroma of bud remains. The boveda packs have become slightly less squishy so likely the crop was ever so slightly over dried remedied over time by the packs. Of course these are not essential, burping the jars for a couple of weeks is equally as good. But for the sake of £12 for 10 packs it was peace of mind knowing the buds would remain in ideal conditions until used. Jars are hermetically sealed, kept in dark, cool place and no burping was ever required. The bud (according to my wife) has only improved over time certainly during the first month of curing.

As @Nature suggests I strongly recommend wet trimming (plastic tub photo is trim) as dry trimming once the leaves have dried / receded into the bud is a nightmare.

1 person likes this

@Poisonata i dry trim cos what`s the point ?

im smoking the buds or vaping them so i can when it come s to skinning up vapeing just get rid of leaves if im vaping they stay on

when taken off they go into the hash pot

1 person likes this

Like so many things it's personal preference. I suspect knowing how lazy my wife can be the majority of the dried sugar leaves would never end up in the jar. It'd certainly be easier not to wet trim as the several hour process was laborious and stunk the house out. Aesthetically they certainly looked better once trimmed post drying stage. Not even sure why I care, not like I smoke the stuff :rolleyes: 

If you have a hay smell you didn’t dry them out enough and did it too quickly.