Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

highlo

Considering crossing over to hydro

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys as the title says I'm considering switching over to full hydroponics as I'm getting fed up with having to get rid of used media from pot growing and would like to try hydro again, I've grown in hydro aqua farm which was good but I've only got one pot and also nft but that failed miserably due to light entering the reservoir and caused root rot, my current method has been hempy buckets with perlite and fytocell which works brilliantly but is a bit of a pain having to get rid of the used media and buy new stuff online for every grow, I like the simplicity of the hempy buckets so I'm looking for an easy hydro system that won't give me too many headaches, I'm thinking a 4 pot Wilma system could be good or possibly dwc but if I do go dwc I would probably use a large 80l reservoir and have 2 plants in it, I may consider one plant in it with heavy training as I don't want to have to mix up 4 different sets of nutrients for a 4 pot dwc set up, is there any other easy hydro systems worth considering? Thanks guys

1 person likes this

Dwc is probably the least work when you have it all dialled in 

1 person likes this

I tried DWC, and I am not looking back.

Impressive to see how fast your plant will grow.

There's plenty of good experience help also, if your have any issues.

Keep on smiling,

BB

1 person likes this

I'd recommend dwc. Just flush the nutes down the bog when you done. Simples. 

A few handfuls of clay pebbles are all that's left to dispose of. Apart from the plant carcass. 

You can get a 19l oxypot with a net pot, airpump and air stone for about £25.

To change the nutes just lift off the lid and set the plant into an empty bucket. 

Carry old nutes to bathroom and flush. Fill with tap water and add feed. Done! 

Having 4 separate pots will not be a big job to look after. Takes me around 30 minutes every week/10 days to change 2 pots. 

:bong:

1 person likes this

Thanks guys I'm definitely giving this a go, I have a single seed soaking as we speak and my rock wool cube soaking aswell, I'm going to go for a single plant in an 80l dwc with about 40-50 litres of reservoir, I'm planning on using a water pump to drain and fill the res as I will be in the loft, wish me luck, I will do a diary of this aswell so others can see

2 people like this

Temps are hard to maintain in loft grows I'd invest in an aquarium heater for the bucket also. 

1 person likes this

Aquarium heater for the winter and hydrogen peroxide (I use Silver Bullet Roots) or alike for the summer - my nft's res temps touched 30°c over the summer with no sign of root rot :yep:

1 person likes this

I had root rot before mate it's not nice, totally ruined my crop a few weeks into flowering that was in summer aswell, it's only because it's winter now I'm considering hydro, plus less mess than soil and other media's, that's handy as I have a saltwater fish tank so have a spare aquarium heater sitting ready to go

2 people like this

I'd recommend running a clean res using peroxide or similar then, prevention is better than cure...

Run both if you can - with nice warm roots and all the dissolved oxygen added when the h2o2 breaks down a res heater and a maintenance dose of Silver Bullet Roots is doing my grow the world of good :yep:

1 person likes this

I agree with ranec. I grow throughout summer no problems. But I add h2o2 to every mix of nutrients just for peace of mind

2 people like this

I have regenaroot which sounds similar to silver bullet, breaks down dying roots and helps keep them healthy but I will look into silver bullet and see if it is the same thing and if not definitely pick some up, when you say use peroxide what dose do you give of it? I'm assuming this is the same peroxide you'd buy at a chemist? 

I just seen growth technology do a product called liquid oxygen which is 11.9% hydrogen peroxide, supposed to keep a sterile res and healthy roots, is this the stuff to use rather than straight peroxide? Thanks 

1 person likes this

I use 3% hydrogen peroxide food grade I buy off fleabay it's dirt cheap.

2 people like this

Thanks for that mate, I'll just go the same route then, can I ask how much peroxide do you use per litre? 

1 person likes this

I use syringe barrels for my nutrients I usually do 1 full syringe which is 6ml to every 10 litres.

1 person likes this