Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joel222

The perfect dry/cure

32 posts in this topic

My last 2 grows have ended up smelling a bit like hay. I’ve just harvested another tonight and I’m determined to have this batch better.

I’ve got 9 plants hung upside down in a tent by the stem and all intact. I’ve got the filter/fan running constantly and an oscillating fan on the floor facing the tent sides running for 10 mins every hour. The temp is 15 degrees c.

Does this sound ok?

3 people like this

Sounds good what's your RH?  Around 60% would be good ..

:yinyang: 

2 people like this

@Joel222 If you have a hygrometer that fits in a jar you can’t go wrong.. hang plants to dry until they start to go a bit crispy but before stems snap and then put in the jar.. leave over night with the lid on.. if over 70%rh there is still risk of mould so remove from the jar to dry a bit more before putting back in the jar for another test.

Repeat process until it settles just below 70%rh in the jar, then just remove the lid for a few mins a day until it’s down to 62% rh. 

This is the perfect cure humidity.. if any part of the bud goes below 55% rh at any point then it will taste of hay as the enzymatic process breaking down the chlorophyl will stop and can’t be restarted by adding moisture.

It’s for this reason that a slow even dry is best in order to avoid any buds slipping below 55%rh before the rest is at 70%rh ready for the jars.

Perfect results every time with this method and no risk of mould or hay.

:smokin:

7 people like this

spot on @Era:)

@Joel222 you're def making a step in the right direction hanging the whole plant as one, it makes your ganga taste much nicer :) Ensure your extraction is turned way down so it's only removing the excess moisture from the air, not pulling it from the plants.  If you can get a 10+ day drying time you should be sweet.

4 people like this

Just checked this morning n temp is 15.3 but RH is only 50. I’ve turned the oscillating fan off and stood a bowl of water in there is this right?

1 person likes this

Take the bowl of water out mate it’s not needed. As long as you don't over 70% you should be fine. Id keep the oscillating fan on as well you need plenty of air movement

1 person likes this

In an ideal world i would love a bag of smelly weed.

1 person likes this

@Joel222 I’ll put an extra fan on to speed things up and get it under 70% quick if I’m worried about mould but doesn’t usually need it. slower the better. Like gasman 420 says the water is probably not needed either.

if the buds are drying unevenly (I have this issue in summer) then just start sweating it in the jars sooner.. this will even out the moisture in the bud but obviously it will still be above 70% in the middle so take back out for more drying in a paper bag or cardboard box as soon as it evens out the crispiness as it’ll mould otherwise.

If I can’t slow down the dry in the tent then I’ll do this a few times to get to an even 70% but you shouldn’t have too many problems getting a nice slow dry with just the extraction on low at this time of year and if you’ve not had mould issues then this is what you want.

Edited by Era
1 person likes this

I spent alot of time on my first harvest

trying to create perfect drying

environment. 

I trim wet. 

Intake on min 

Outtake on min

Osc fan 15mins every hour

Oil rad on certain temp

And it dried in like 5 days. 

Second harvest I trimmed, turned everything off apart from extraction on minimum and it took about 16 days to dry and very minimum Hay smell from the bud. 

I think the slower you can dry it the better. 

2 people like this

If you have extraction running there is no need for a fan to be blowing around.

All that's doing is speeding the drying up considerably.

An extractor is more than what's needed for air exchange.

I have always hung plants in same room as tent. The tent makes the room negative pressure and that's all the air exchange that's needed. No fans blowing on the buds.

10-14 days is usual depending on ambient rh in the house. Sometimes a bit more. Never less. 

If your buds are dry in less than a week then you've dried too fast. 

When stems snap but not brittle is when it goes into jars. If the stems don't snap then it's not ready for the jar. 

No burping or fucking about required. 

Unless your new to smoking you should be able to tell when a bit is ready to go in a jar. If it's too wet to smoke then why would you put it in the jars your gonna take buds and smoke them from. If it's too dry and the buds crumble, dusty, again, wtf.

It's not rocket science hombres

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
3 people like this

34 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

When stems snap but not brittle is when it goes into jars. If the stems don't snap then it's not ready for the jar. 

Have you ever measured the rh at this point? I’ve found that the stems start to snap at not much over 55%rh. Prefer to keep it at 62%rh myself.. faster curing and less risk of overdried bud.

We agree about everything else I’ve ever seen you post though so this is a first.. I started leaving a bit more moisture in there using the hygrometers as you don’t have to worry so much about mould if you can see it’s under 70%rh.

After a cure in the jar it will quickly dry to a good smoking humidity but the cure will slow down or stop if jarred too dry I reckon.

Am planning on switching from coco to mud soon so will be following your grow method and maybe bugging you for more info if it goes south.

Edited by Era
2 people like this

Boveda make 62% packs for a reason :)

5 people like this

Im using these to hold for processing to rosin.....they don't really increase bud humidity as I've tried with a fair amount to cured bud..

But im now hoping to hold at this for future pressing with current fresh crop 16 days old...... @unitydid they hold the RH for you.?

At the mo it seems they are.

I'm a big believer in the boveda 62% packs. I'm the only one out a few of us that uses them and they can't believe the difference in flavour smell taste after been sat in a jar at 62%, in the dark at 16c for 4+ weeks. Makes hell of a difference as that's the one thing I wanted to know before growing as I was sick of the homegrown smell. I also have a daily mason jar with a 58% boveda pack as it's a little drier to smoke but thats personal preference 

The number one rule is to dry slowly. For me anything less than 8/10 days and it's going to be a harsh, hay like boring taste.

Usually I hang whole plant then dry trim. Sometimes when I am proud and want the whole neighborhood to know I've got some smelly weed I wet trim and dry in a net.

But aye 8/10 days drying the whole plant untill the smaller stems snap, trim, into containers, glare at them untill my eyes are dry, into lungs, out of lungs.

No need to burp coz I'm in the jars all the time anyway :yinyang:

3 people like this