Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

wilson2

bleach and vinegar

i found this article and thought others may be interested

Vinegar increases killing power of bleach

AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR MICROBIOLOGY

PRINT  E-MAIL

Adding white vinegar to diluted household bleach greatly increases the disinfecting power of the solution, making it strong enough to kill even bacterial spores. Researchers from MicroChem Lab, Inc. in Euless, Texas, report their findings today at the 2006 ASM Biodefense Research Meeting.

Sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) in the form of laundry bleach is available in most households. The concentrate is about 5.25 to 6 percent NaOCl, and the pH value is about 12. Sodium hypochlorite is stable for many months at this high alkaline pH value.

"Laundry bleach is commonly diluted about 10 to 25-fold with tap water to about 2000 to 5000 parts per million of free available chlorine for use as an environmental surface disinfectant, without regard to the pH value of the diluted bleach. However, the pH value is very important for the antimicrobial effectiveness of bleach," says Norman Miner, a researcher on the study.

At alkaline pH values of about 8.5 or higher, more than 90 percent of the bleach is in the form of the chlorite ion (OCl-), which is relatively ineffective antimicrobially. At acidic pH values of about 6.8 or lower, more than 80 percent of the bleach is in the form of hypochlorite (HOCl). HOCl is about 80 to 200 times more antimicrobial than OCl-.

"Bleach is a much more effective antimicrobial chemical at an acidic pH value than at the alkaline Ph value at which bleach is manufactured and stored. A small amount of household vinegar is sufficient to lower the pH of bleach to an acidic range," says Miner.

Miner and his colleagues compared the ability of alkaline (pH 11) and acidified (pH 6) bleach dilutions to disinfect surfaces contaminated with dried bacterial spores, considered the most resistant to disinfectants of all microbes. The alkaline dilution was practically ineffective, killing all of the spores on only 2.5 percent of the surfaces after 20 minutes. During the same time period the acidified solution killed all of the spores on all of the surfaces.

"Diluted bleach at an alkaline pH is a relatively poor disinfectant, but acidified diluted bleach will virtually kill anything in 10 to 20 minutes," says Miner. "In the event of an emergency involving Bacillus anthracis spores contaminating such environmental surfaces as counter tops, desk and table tops, and floors, for example, virtually every household has a sporicidal sterilant available in the form of diluted, acidified bleach."

Miner recommends first diluting one cup of household bleach in one gallon of water and then adding one cup of white vinegar.

3 people like this

if you lower the ph of sodium hypochlorite without been very careful, free chlorine is released and its incredibly toxic, think ww1 gas attack.

Theres much better safer cleaner ways to disinfect/cleanup

I use a 2kw steam wallpaper stripper to remove traces of toxic chemicals (like what you want to make) from laboratory glassware.  Theres not much survives from 100c+ steam vapour under pressure and it does an awesome job removing salt buildup stains and crap from hard to clean corners and inaccessable areas in equipment very quickly.

I just cut the pipe and have a couple of ends, a narrow one for pressure and flattened end to do large surface areas

3 people like this

I dont intend to use it all the time, but at present I have had a problem with root rot, I originally flushed and soaked with bleach yet it returned.  Im currently soaking and flushing my cloning setup with vinegar and bleach as recommended in the article. Once I have removed, killed the source. I intend to only use oxyplus as recomended.

14 hours ago, geoffo said:

if you lower the ph of sodium hypochlorite without been very careful, free chlorine is released and its incredibly toxic, think ww1 gas attack.

Theres much better safer cleaner ways to disinfect/cleanup

I use a 2kw steam wallpaper stripper to remove traces of toxic chemicals (like what you want to make) from laboratory glassware.  Theres not much survives from 100c+ steam vapour under pressure and it does an awesome job removing salt buildup stains and crap from hard to clean corners and inaccessable areas in equipment very quickly.

I just cut the pipe and have a couple of ends, a narrow one for pressure and flattened end to do large surface areas

well I think you maybe right, the fumes that came off seemed a lot stronger than bleach,  the article claimed hocl would be formed which should have remained soluble. At any rate I dont think Ill use it on my main grow room. If it worked , at last my clones should be good.

18 hours ago, geoffo said:

use a 2kw steam wallpaper stripper to remove traces of toxic chemicals (like what you want to make) from laboratory glassware.  Theres not much survives from 100c+ steam vapour under pressur

Unless your planning on turning your wallpaper stripper into an autoclave to induce the pressure needed to push that steam up to a sufficient temperature to be effective as a steriliser then I'm afraid you might be doing a good job of cleaning them but your not sterilizing shit. 

I presume your glassware isn't used for anything that needs to be free from bacterial contamination like mycology work.

You will be surprised how much stuff survives at 100'c.

This is the reason mycologists, surgeons etc either use autoclaves or pressure cooker to sterilize equipment and don't just stick them under a steam cleaner. 

1 person likes this

@wilson2 That solution will eat the shit out of metal mate,I use a safety pickle for cleaning solder joints etc    vinegar + hydrogen peroxide

have a look at the first 3.5 mins of this old codgers vid (thats all I watched)

@Jimboo lol Old codger lol 

8 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler147 said:

@Jimboo lol Old codger lol 

Fits the bill mate lol

old codger
 Thesaurus  Share It
Definitions of
old codger
used affectionately to refer to an eccentric but amusing old man

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Jimboo said:

Fits the bill mate lol