Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

YOREEL

DWC Still no roots??

18 posts in this topic

Afternoon all,

28th Sept - Popped 2 seeds in riot cubes.

2nd Oct - put them in the net pots after the roots started showing on both. 

6th Oct - Added to dry DWC - 60 Litre Oxy Pot XL as 2nd set of leaves were showing and wanted to protect the roots if they were coming through.

13th Oct - Still no roots coming through the net pots. Plants look fine. Just got my RO system sorted and wanted add RO and nutes to the reservoir and have the pump going to tease the roots out.

I was advised to let the root system build be for adding them to the DWC but I expected them to root quicker than this?

I've been hand feeding them 10ml morning and evening. 10ml of mixed 1.5 litre of the following with half the recommended dosage - 1ml AN calmag, 1ml AN rhino skin, 1ml, 1/2ml of each AN Grow A+B, 

I've been feeding around and in the centre to try and tease out the roots. I went to 3 times a day and noticed it may have been too much.

Shall I fill up the reservoir halfway to get the bubbles splashing on the net pot?

I would have done this sooner but again wanted to get the root system spread.

Any advice would be great.

Yo

No man. Don't fill it up yet. Patience. You want to have a good build up of roots coming out of the pots before you turn it on. Don't worry about over feeding them by hand. It's pretty much impossible with syringe dosages. The clay pebbles don't hold onto the water so they are not constantly in the nutes. 

large.IMG_20190612_193231.jpg

This is how mine look being hand fed right before they go into the pots for the first time. 

What EC are you feeding it? 

2 people like this

Thanks for the info. I'll keep them there and keep hand feeding.

large.20191013_185609.jpglarge.20191013_185701.jpg

Feed is @ EC 0.4 - 250ppm. - Went a bit mad a few days ago and had the ppm at 300 and noticed the slight burn.

Wow!! Those roots look mad!! What are you feeding and how often?

large.20191013_191013.jpg

And then you look at mine and I've not even got one root through!!! Hence the questions :) 

Edited by YOREEL

@The Padawan Do you use any root stim to get them like that? I can't see another week is going to get mine nice and bushy like that. Can I use organic root stim before putting them into DWC?

1 person likes this

I use superthrive for my little seedlings going into the dwc. But I have a little more of a " fuck it" approach to padawan I chuck mine in as soon as I see a taproot so I can stop bothering with them lol. I think it has a good effect though .

You def want some sort of roots poking through before you dunk them in. I use root it first feed when they're small. 0.4ec should be fine. I feed them 3/4 times a day. Just keep the pebbles moist. Yours look very dry. 

I have a veg cab that I can get mine started in before I finish flowering in my tent :yinyang:

2 people like this

I feel the opposite!!!

There is no way your gonna get any roots to grow into those dry pebbles...They will have tried and dried out allready.

Your better off filling the system to 2cm below the net pot and get it up and running if you can't keep those pebbles wet.

This isnt nft get it going and you'll see results.

Your hydrolecea looks too dry as @The Padawan advises.....Your idea of half filling the system with just water and just letting the bubbles splash up is a good one as it will keep the stones and surrounding air nicely moist. (I do this myself as well as to make sure my RDWC is working properly before the kick off) (I assume this is because you have no vegging space?)

Never too wet or the roots wont go looking....Never dry out more than the top layer or you kill what ur trying to promote.

Be careful of roots getting into this water as they will give up lateral rooting and drink from this.

The reason me and the guys top feed is to get as many feeding sites (roots) going into the water as possible.....as many of them lilly white straws as we can suppin up that feed.

If the girls find the water in the system they wont bother with lateral roots anymore and after a few weeks they will be those knotty, thick braches that we as DWC guys do not want.

Edited by zen-ken
2 people like this

4 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

I feel the opposite!!!

There is no way your gonna get any roots to grow into those dry pebbles...They will have tried and dried out allready.

Your better off filling the system to 2cm below the net pot and get it up and running if you can't keep those pebbles wet.

This isnt nft get it going and you'll see results.

You just beat me to it by a secound :rofl:

I agree if your in the main tent but I can keep them in the prop with the humidity high and get the same effect large_OGC.jpg

They have just started rooting nicely

Edited by zen-ken
2 people like this

Defiantly try and hold off filling the system I’ve been through this recently and managed to get over the issues I had but probably slowed things down. Also I’ve spoken with advance nutrients and you shouldn’t need to use cal mag with sensi range and RO water as that’s what it’s made for so should be enough in there. 

1 person likes this

@zen-ken Cheers for there reply. 

I expect them to root quicker than this but I guess patience is key...

I have a load of space but wasn't sure how to best get it sorted with the 60l reservoir. I have one 1.2m tent setup and 1 1.5m for flower - not much difference but wanted to have one hydro tent and one soil tent.Also have a cupboard space I was using for veg.

I'll increase the humidity as it was a 54% > 70%

I initially had them sitting on a grill for 5 days but wasn't sure if the roots would get air pruned.

Do you also use root stims?

Thanks for all the replies btw!

1 person likes this

On 13/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, The Padawan said:

No man. Don't fill it up yet. Patience. You want to have a good build up of roots coming out of the pots before you turn it on. Don't worry about over feeding them by hand. It's pretty much impossible with syringe dosages. The clay pebbles don't hold onto the water so they are not constantly in the nutes. 

large.IMG_20190612_193231.jpg

This is how mine look being hand fed right before they go into the pots for the first time. 

What EC are you feeding it? 

How have you got your roots like that? Could you advise of the process you follow once germinated? I'm trying the same atm my post is growing a lot slower than one I've got in soil. I've got a few shoots of roots coming each side of my riot cube but nothing like what you've got. A small tutorial might help others maybe?

Sorry for hijacking lads :)

1 person likes this

I've posted this before but here's my method if you missed it...

I use a a 100ml mesh pot and 100ml solid pot...(this is the final pot size for my system - you need two pots the same size)

Once the seedling is showing its tap root out of the cube, place into the mesh pot with pebbles then place the mesh pot inside the solid one...

This will leave a gap at the bottom for the roots to grow into and prevent light getting in or air pruning while the roots form...

Water from the top...I use a small res and open pipe drip ring on a timer once a day  for 15mins which saves hand watering...works for me...

Good luck  :oldtoker:

5 people like this

3 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I've posted this before but here's my method if you missed it...

I use a a 100ml mesh pot and 100ml solid pot...(this is the final pot size for my system - you need two pots the same size)

Once the seedling is showing its tap root out of the cube, place into the mesh pot with pebbles then place the mesh pot inside the solid one...

This will leave a gap at the bottom for the roots to grow into and prevent light getting in or air pruning while the roots form...

Water from the top...I use a small res and open pipe drip ring on a timer once a day  for 15mins which saves hand watering...works for me...

Good luck  :oldtoker:

Never heard of anything like that, but makes sense totally. Only you're two weeks too late :(

I'll try it on my next grow mate, nice one.

My current just seems really slow, and only have a few roots really coming from the riot cube, struggling big time!

2 people like this

@Bigbob88 I do it like @stu914 said caus he told me how to do it. But I hand feed them with a spray bottle

large.IMG_20190612_193000.jpg

2 people like this