Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

HEMPFRUIT

Heating!? Heatmats?

Hey 420 

I was looking at some heat mats this one poped up and seems to look good Biogreen HMTA100-200/GB Aluminium Heatmat includes Thermostat 

Has anyone got one or use/d any?

Do they work well and heat the pots quite evenly if just sat straight on them with a tray?

Iv used tube heaters in the past and they helped but still wasnt great in extreme colds of the loft grow ..also had to have 3x1.2/1.5m tubes..  they take up to much room because they can't touch pots and i have lots of smaller plants dotted about so don't really suit me ..

I'm struggling to keep the pots  in the corners of the tent warm enough  with a large rad without canopy temps getting into 30s and thinking this will help it's not to bad yet but with temps dropping need to get sorted any pros ,cons / suggestions welcome!

:yinyang:

I haven't got that model but I have just used  14w 28x28cm ones in a cold cellar starting in April :  the 11l pots stood on them reached 20C with no thermostat , which led to  a successful crop. Easily the most efficient method of keeping your plants warm, and only cost about £11 each.:yep:

5 people like this

I need to get me a heat mat as well. The soil temps are already lower with canopy coverage and chillier weather Also growing in the loft.

I was looking at the the same model except the 100 x 100cm size. Bit pricey but I think needs must.

I've currently got 2 tube heaters (60w each) and a 800W oil rad in a box which heats the incoming air. So far only the tube heaters have needed to come on a couple times and it's enough to get the room back to temp.

As far as I've read heat mats are the most efficient way of heating the room/roots. The roots are the most important to keep above 18c and to keep the room above 18c will cost more than directly heating the roots, I thought heating the incoming air would be good as then the whole room will be at 18+c so the roots can't fall below the temp and while that will help it's got to cost more.

Currently my floor is 50mm Insulation > chipboard > 1m tray > autopot trays > pots   I was thinking of adding the mat on top of the chipboard but under the 1m tray so it stays dry. I imagine the heat will make it through the other bits to the pots...

I'll report back here when I get mine :hippy:

3 people like this

Electric blankets, cheap as chips and they are piss proof, have run them for years even had them in the washing machine.

4 people like this

Thanks for the replys people :yep:

@Sasquatch  thanks thats exactly what i wanted to hear :D

@3potheads keep us updated mate you may get yours before me ..either way good to hear back on how it go's nice1  :yep:

@polo71 thanks polo good shout I did have a look at them a while back before the heat mats can't remember  why I wrote them off/thought the heatmats might be better:g: il have to have a look see if jogs my memory..first thoughts maybe couldn't get big enough size or because fabric but I could maybe have one or two under the tent tray..:g:..

:yinyang:

2 people like this

don't know if this is any good for you @HEMPFRUIT.

https://totaltiles.co.uk/underfloor-heating-mat-150w-and-touch-screen-thermostat.html <-----------  £ 53.99 per metre - comes with digital touch screen controller.

i'm guessing the 150w is when it's running full pelt. 

i've been looking into other methods of heating myself case my setup struggles during the winter. 

https://totaltiles.co.uk/underfloor-heating-mat-150w.html <-------------------- £ 24.99 per meter2

1 person likes this

parasene soil warming cables.

2 people like this

Heat mats with a proper thermostat is the kiddy. I use the foil ones with root it stats

4 people like this

Using the skinny Romberg Mats with rootit thermostat. Keeping pots at cosy 22c 24 hrs. But the heat blankets are cheaper and worth a thought . ...

Edited by M Pamplemousse
2 people like this

On 10/10/2019 at 5:04 AM, Sasquatch said:

I haven't got that model but I have just used  14w 28x28cm ones in a cold cellar starting in April :  the 11l pots stood on them reached 20C with no thermostat , which led to  a successful crop. Easily the most efficient method of keeping your plants warm, and only cost about £11 each.:yep:

Those sound like what I need my old mat is 10 years old and I'm going to retire it after this grow @Sasquatch do you know the make/brand of your mats? tia

2 people like this

I can't remember the brand but like just about everything else they were available under several names and made in China. The main thing is they are square, and an 11l pot fits nicely. Got them off Amazon.

2 people like this