Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seedsman Lee

Next Grow- Strain input wanted

I used to grow kale, spinach, cucumber, and tomatoes. And I thought the same principles would apply, so when Canada made it legal to grow four plants I was sold. I have a space, and odor constraint, and was not on RIU, or GC, so I was doing my own research, and ended up spending some money on BCNLs Roommate Hydro setup.

About BCNLs Roommate

The Roommate is the smallest growing box offered, measuring in at 28” Wide, 54.5” High, and 28” Deep (external measurements). I’m currently at work, so I will measure the internal compartments later. It comes with 4 air stones that are set up in a series-parallel configuration on the bottom of a 16L reservoir. A water pump also sits in the reservoir that pushes the water up to a feed line that has 4 drip line inserts. Each drip line will go into the rockwool that they provided as well as mesh pots, giving me the potential to grow four beauties (hopefully). They provide 12 1.5” rockwool, and 4” rockwool both branded Atami BCuzz Roxx. For lightning they provided MH and HPS 400W lights and ballast ( I could upgrade to :The RoomMate’s LED fixture has one panel with four Citizen COBs, 120-degree lenses and a HLG 185 Meanwell drivers. The unit will use roughly 225 watts as opposed to the 400 watt digital ballast. For an extra 600 CAD, could use some input on this upgrade). As far as air circulation, both the intake and exhaust fans are built in, and a carbon filter is included. The box comes preprogrammed for when to feed, and when to turn on/off lights. On my end all I had to do was program the time of day, and choose if I want 12/12 or 18/6 for lighting. They also provided 3 cycles worth of Holland Secret Future harvest nutrients (it comes with their silver package which means I also got carbo blast, and Super B+, and bud boom). They also included some root cloned, and a propagation dome (I believe that is what it’s called). There are other ads-ons like clip on fan, blue lab pH controller, LED option, T5 lighting for under the plants (also interested in this, hoping to get your input!), and a ventilation package. Note that they have modified these so they don’t plug into normal ac outlets. I will show you what I mean when I go to the box next. Hopefully I’m not missing anything, but let me know if you have any questions!

The Grow

After I ordered the box, it was time to get some seeds. I opted to go with 4 femmed seeds from a local shop. Went there, and came out with AK-47, Amnesia Haze, Northern Lights and Dream. My first mistake is not labeling the packages they came in, so after picking them... I have no idea which bag has which seed-not making that mistake again.
My germination process consists of putting the four seeds in Nestle Pure Life (based upon what they said the pH of the water was I thought it was a good idea) water and storing them in a cabinet above my stove. After 24 hours, I took them out, soaked some paper towel (squeezed out most of the Nestle water) and placed the seeds in the paper towel, placed them in a ziplock bag and put them back up above the stove for another 72 hours. By this time all of the seeds have sprouted, so I soaked the rockwool in tap water (pH of 6.4) for 2 hours, then added one seed per rockwool. Since they were damp, I placed a plastic tray under the rockwool before placing them back above the stove. My next mistake was when the first sprout came through the top of the rockwool. I didn’t know about protective casing, and I thought the plant was growing upside down. I tried removing the new growth from the rockwool to flip it, but in the process the new sprout tore... I tried taping and putting it back with the others. Within three days, all the plants sprouted, and they all had the protective casing- another mistake that will not be made. I left the seeds as they were above the light for 5 days, feeding them every other day with Nestle water. From there I placed the small rockwool with the seedlings into the larger 5" rockwool, and placed the larger rockwool into its forever home within the mesh pots in the grow box. I watered the entire rockwool. The light schedule was 18/6, and I was watering using RO water for the first week-no nutes, non pHd- no adverse affects but I would most likely pH the water next time around. I put the plant that I cut, hoping it was just stunted and would pull through. A day after I put the rockwool in the box, one of my more stretched plants was having difficulty staying up. I tried to support him with a souvlaki stick- successfully. Within three days of putting the seedlings into the box, they have developed some leaves (1st set), though the protective casing is still stuck on. Within six days from moving to their new home, they have nearly shed the protective casing, and have the second set of leaves growing in, although the casing is still there... I decided to intervene and physically removed the casing myself, being as gentle as I could be.
Anyways, I finished my grow and have been searching for seeds for some time, and when I came across Seedsman I felt like a child at a candy store. I continually added and added and then removed strains. I finally decided to pick randomly at what to keep and ended up getting: 10x Peyote Gorilla Fem, 5x Cookies Chill CBD, 3X Gelat.OG auto, 5x Zkittlez Auto, and 5x Purple Kush CBD Auto. 
Has anyone tried growing any of these? I’m really excited, and hope to do some group grows  

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site,

I haven’t grown any of the strains mentioned as I don’t do many if any fems or autofems but I think plenty here have. At the top right there is a search function and if you change the area of search to grow diary’s there will be loads of info and backed up by photos. Hope it goes well fella. 

Peace

lild :skin_up:

1 person likes this

Thank you for the info! 

My goal in the near future is to create some grow experiments with growers in the UK, and Canada. After placing my order I’ve been speaking to some reps, and if I get enough interest, I believe that Seedsman could make it happen. 

What keeps you away from fems and autos?

2 hours ago, KingsChron said:

What keeps you away from fems and autos?

I can't speak for him, but a general answer to that is that autos don't give you any control over the onset of flower, nor do they allow themselves to be cloned. Autos are generally less potent too, although these lines are constantly being improved. Also if you find something exceptional, there's sweet FA you can do to make sure that it'll repeat itself in your jars for the foreseeable. 

The perception with fems is that they're less stable, mainly due to the 'unnatural' techniques being used to create them. But that's a generalisation. I'm certain there are plenty of fem lines out there that are completely safe from and have no record of throwing nanas.

I think most experienced growers would say that regs are ideal if you have the space. You're just more likely to find that lovely vigorous, potent plant....although I don't know how much of that is grounded in reality. Saying that, I've never had a reg hermie on me personally, only ever fems. So there seems to be something to that, at least in my experience. 

Edited by SevernValleySavant

Regarding fems and autos as above for autos and the lack of control over flowering and cloning. With fems for me it’s a bit of a mental block with the breeding tech. Fems are made from two female plants one that’s an outstanding/desirable plant and one that’s reversed to make female pollen to pollinate the first plant. Imo you don’t get the same standard of fem plants as the original outstanding/desirable plant. I have had a few regs herm on me but lots more fems have do tend to swerve them. 

My 2p anyhoo

peace

lil d.

p.s. Sexing regs is a peice of piss too and they don’t need much more space.

p.p.s and if I get a male I can cross it to any reg female plants to make my own seeds. 

Edited by lildaveham
1 person likes this

On 10/3/2019 at 5:31 AM, SevernValleySavant said:

I can't speak for him, but a general answer to that is that autos don't give you any control over the onset of flower, nor do they allow themselves to be cloned. Autos are generally less potent too, although these lines are constantly being improved. Also if you find something exceptional, there's sweet FA you can do to make sure that it'll repeat itself in your jars for the foreseeable. 

The perception with fems is that they're less stable, mainly due to the 'unnatural' techniques being used to create them. But that's a generalisation. I'm certain there are plenty of fem lines out there that are completely safe from and have no record of throwing nanas.

I think most experienced growers would say that regs are ideal if you have the space. You're just more likely to find that lovely vigorous, potent plant....although I don't know how much of that is grounded in reality. Saying that, I've never had a reg hermie on me personally, only ever fems. So there seems to be something to that, at least in my experience. 

Sweet FA? Sorry I don’t follow! I am typically not into autos myself. Though if you’re looking for perpetual grows, I think they can be a valid option-even if you only have a single grow space. 

I hope to get lucky enough to have no nanas growing. I’m not into hermies. I guess I’ll keep a tally of seeds that herm, strain and in the future breeder. Good to have as much info as possible.

I see what you’re saying. I think for people who can only grow a minimal amount of plants, and have a limited amount of space regs is just too uncertain. Unless pheno hunting, which would take a long time in Canada if you are only growing the 4 plants. My thought is regs has 50% chance of being male, femmed has a 85% chance of being a female?

The sweet fa part is due to not being able to clone(well, I guess you could but they would just continue flowering) or keep autos in veg. :yinyang:

1 hour ago, KingsChron said:

Sweet FA? Sorry I don’t follow!

I'm not sure if you're saying you don't understand what I mean by 'sweet FA', or if you're disagreeing..?

Sweet FA, as in sweet fuck all.

If you're saying you disagree...

I agree with your point about perpetual grows in a single grow space, and I'm not saying they're not a good option for some people's arrangements and can give consistently great results. Blackpoolbouncer perfect example.

I was talking about those phenos that stand above what you can find consistently in any given pack of seeds currently available. If it's an auto then you're just chasing it, popping more seeds in the hope you'll find it again, only to have it once, hope you nail the grow to have as much as you can, for it to be gone again. That's if you find it again at all, if you do, it can't be that outstanding. 

If you're growing photoperiods you just take a cut of everything, if you find that special plant that ticks all of your boxes and gets you excited, then you've got it forever, every time you want it. I've found about 10% of what I grow to be worth keeping. I'd rather not have to keep growing out the other 90% plants and not knowing what to do with them. It's all extra leccy and risk with extra plants, but really, if I'm risking my freedom to grow my own smoke then I want my smoke to be the best it can be, every time. Flowering potential shite for 2 months+ is a worse use of leccy than the extra 100w total my mum set up uses, imo. But each to their own, I'm not slating anyones use of autos if it's ultimately what works for them and keeps them happy. After all, that's what it's all about.

2 hours ago, SevernValleySavant said:

I'm not sure if you're saying you don't understand what I mean by 'sweet FA', or if you're disagreeing..?

Sweet FA, as in sweet fuck all.

If you're saying you disagree...

I agree with your point about perpetual grows in a single grow space, and I'm not saying they're not a good option for some people's arrangements and can give consistently great results. Blackpoolbouncer perfect example.

I was talking about those phenos that stand above what you can find consistently in any given pack of seeds currently available. If it's an auto then you're just chasing it, popping more seeds in the hope you'll find it again, only to have it once, hope you nail the grow to have as much as you can, for it to be gone again. That's if you find it again at all, if you do, it can't be that outstanding. 

If you're growing photoperiods you just take a cut of everything, if you find that special plant that ticks all of your boxes and gets you excited, then you've got it forever, every time you want it. I've found about 10% of what I grow to be worth keeping. I'd rather not have to keep growing out the other 90% plants and not knowing what to do with them. It's all extra leccy and risk with extra plants, but really, if I'm risking my freedom to grow my own smoke then I want my smoke to be the best it can be, every time. Flowering potential shite for 2 months+ is a worse use of leccy than the extra 100w total my mum set up uses, imo. But each to their own, I'm not slating anyones use of autos if it's ultimately what works for them and keeps them happy. After all, that's what it's all about.

No no, I’ve never seen the FA thing. I was wondering what it meant. I agree with you. They are not the best option. They serve a purpose, and for some people it might be the most valid option. They could be harvesting a plant every month- smaller yields, more frequently. 

This is correct. Autos are luck of the draw. But I think femmed seeds are being overlooked. You can buy packs of a strain. There very well maybe be different phenos. And say you find one you really enjoy, I think if you make it herm by applying colloidal silver, or not harvesting her and stressing her- harder option. You can use her to germinate herself, and also create femmed seeds? I think that’s the process- please don’t quote me. That is a process to make femmed seeds, I thought it applied to fem seeds, not just regs. 

I feel what youre saying. I’m sad that you have to risk your freedom to grow my brother. Gotta move to Canada ;) I also want to smoke the best bud I can. I’m truthfully just happy I can grow my own. I make sure it’s flushed correctly ( I love when I see the white ash), I don’t add any fucked up chemicals, I take care of them, I watch them grow. I don’t know, I enjoy that, just as much as I enjoy smoking

On 03/10/2019 at 4:25 PM, lildaveham said:

Regarding fems and autos as above for autos and the lack of control over flowering and cloning. With fems for me it’s a bit of a mental block with the breeding tech. Fems are made from two female plants one that’s an outstanding/desirable plant and one that’s reversed to make female pollen to pollinate the first plant. Imo you don’t get the same standard of fem plants as the original outstanding/desirable plant. I have had a few regs herm on me but lots more fems have do tend to swerve them. 

My 2p anyhoo

peace

lil d.

p.s. Sexing regs is a peice of piss too and they don’t need much more space.

p.p.s and if I get a male I can cross it to any reg female plants to make my own seeds. 

I think your issues with herms in fem seeds is due to the early days of this and down with bad practice in the breeding / production side.  As for the idea that feminised seeds somehow have less ideal parents due to the nature of FxF, I would argue the opposite is true. Why would only one plant have to be outstanding and one reversed? The fact that offspring of such crosses don't resemble the original desirable parent is down to lack of work on the breeders part, not down to reversal.  

Sorry, no dig just always seeing people thinking back 5-10 years ago, things have changed.  If anything I think many modern fems have less chance of herms than regs as people creating them are more likely to do stress tests....?

IMO male plants only place is for preservation of landraces or similar, for effective breeding to get results females are superior.   

4 people like this