Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buddinghell

Light burn or deficiency?

Hi all, 

First time grower here. 

Been trying to figure this one out with search and google but I'm out of ideas. 

This girls is on her 28th day - 250w HPS in a small 60x60cm (4inch RAM exhaust). PH level read 7 - 7.5

Pic1 As you can see she has white marks on her upper leaves, and some 'burn' spots on others. She also had yellowing of the lower leaves (trimmed all the worst affected). 

Earlier this week she was looking worse, with all new growth with white marks and suddenly quite slow growth (before that she had been great). So she had the first round of nutes (Tomorite), and raised the lights up which helped a lot overnight. also bought some Cal Mag in case it was an iron, or magnese deficiency, which was given to her 48 hours ago which helped-ish (less than than the raising of the light and Tomorite). 

Pic2 Is from before all this happened about 7 - 9 days ago

As the title, do you think this is a deficiency or just light/heat stress? Very wary not to over-counter it and make problems worse. The new growth at the top doesn't seem to be affected. 

There has been with low humidity levels (around 30 - 40) which I corrected with humidfyer when really low and spaying walls of tent in case that's relevant. I am aware that a 250w is fairly big (?) in such a small tent so maybe it was too close (followed guidelines on here). 

Thanks lads

Seed is O.G Kush RQS

Edited by buddinghell

Colour is a bit hard to make out, but if your light can be moved a little higher, see how that improves things over a few days? 

It sounds like you’ve done a lot to rule out most things, cal/mag may have improved things. How much nutes are you giving and when did you start? 

A

✌️

Edited by Alexios

Hey.  Don't look too bad, but i would drop the tomorite for now.  The plant isn't looking hungry and probably didn't even root out the pot you are using yet.  I would only start with nutrients at the flowering stage and just keep the seaweed extract for veg.

250w isn't too much light if your extraction works well and temps aren't over 30c at plant level.  Make sure the light isn't too close either.  250w should be about 50-70cm from the plant.  When watering, try not to splash to much water onto plant during lights on. that could cause light burns as the droplets act like a magnifying glass and create burn marks.
Good luck!

2 people like this

Get a bottle of Fishmix and some Root Juice. Ditch the Tomerite. Might be ok for Tomatoes but not really for weed. You will need Grow and bloom for flowering and the Fishmix is rich in Nitrogen which the plant needs in Veg. Only a bit mind and only if you feel it needs it

Be careful when watering as that looks like as @AustrianTokker says. As it could be a bit of burn.

1 person likes this

Looks like you have a few hot spots on your reflector, I had a hammer finish reflector for my 250w that did the same thing with the reflector too close.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys this is all super useful. 

There is a hammer finish to the reflector and water maybe did get on 1 or 2 of the leaves, exactly as above. 

I'll pick up some proper nutes - I read somewhere that Tomorite was okay to use as a base (NPK 4-3-8) but happy to get something specific. TBH wasn't sure if the above was indicative of something more serious or 'just' light burn. Looking like it might be light burn, especially combined with a relatively dry space. 

Last Q - should I trim the affected or just leave them? I'm guessing if it's burnt I shouldn't expect to see them return to green?

Thanks

I would leave them.

Today’s update

Suddenly got super droopy, in less than 24 hours. Gave some water as it had been a couple of days 

White marks growing on the new leaves rather than being burnt on (I think)

Am I being getting over-wurried or is this a sign of something else?

cheers 

large.A57156B4-A8A9-4AD3-A905-198E10E9E48F.jpeglarge.CDE9EEB6-31F9-48E3-8F2E-9729E664E8D5.jpeg

Hey buddinghell. Are you in a 60 x 60 x 60 cube or is it 60x60 and then like 160 tall? I ask because 250w of HID lighting in the first of those is a lot if you ask me. I would think your temps are going to be over 30 degrees as Austriantokker points out. Did you foliar feed when the lights were on or about to come on? 

It’s 60 x 60 x 160cm

I try to water when they ‘wake’ up at 11pm. 

They’ve really perked up since I watered so hoping it was just under watering, though I thought it looked like overwatering too!

Thanks all 

You should be watering till you have saturated the entire pot then dont water again till its 80% dry. Also back off the food. That plant hasn't yet used the nutrient in the compost so just requires water

Also take pics with the light off and use a flash

Owd