Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pzbigbear

Root temps in dwc advice needed

Been struggling with temps 23 in buckets and was adding frozen bottles of water but then read it's not ideal for roots so came up with an idealarge.20190923_193756_compress93.jpglarge.20190923_193802_compress33.jpg strapping a big ice pack to the side with bungee s so will how it goes

2 people like this

At this stage I use newspapers to cover the top of the pots until the canopy covers them.

Works a treat and less labour intensive than messing with ice.

2 people like this

I grow dwc without a chiller and I don't have any issues to be honest. But will learn the hard way some time maybe when my plants are tiny I just cover the top with anything white ( if I can be bothered) and once there's a decent canopy it's all good. 

1 person likes this

Large oscillating fan on the ground during light on. This will keep the temps down enough to stay clear of root issues. Using your intake fan will work as well, even a passive vent, any way you can blow cool air at those tubs.

If you use ice or the likes your'll drop those temps too suddenly as well as not keeping them cool constantly, better to have a stable solution rather than a quick fix. You keep the root zone cool to avoid rot and pests, but these wont get a hold in a day, so don't use ice etc as a speedy method, get something that'll fix it properly. 

Another tip though, get the air pump out of the grow area lol   Pumping warm air into the water don't help. The cooler the air around your air pump the cooler the air that's pumped in will be.

5 people like this

5 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

Another tip though, get the air pump out of the grow area lol   Pumping warm air into the water don't help. The cooler the air around your air pump the cooler the air that's pumped in will be.

Boom!!!

@GreenVision dropping pearls!

It's the little touches that add up in dwc.

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt
4 people like this

1 minute ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

It's the little touches that add up in dwc.

It really is mate, devil's in the details.

If there's anything I've learned over the last couple of years it's that DWC / RDWC isn't for people that say "That'll do" or "Close Enough".

4 people like this

good idea with the ice packs. would be even better if you insulated that pot too. 

34 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

If there's anything I've learned over the last couple of years it's that DWC / RDWC isn't for people that say "That'll do" or "Close Enough".

Or clumsy feckers for that matter...:wassnnme:  :rofl:

To take your cool pump idea one stage further, stick it inside a mini fridge...:yep:

;)

2 people like this

37 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

The truest statement I have read this week :yep:

Be careful with chilling the air pump too much.....the cold air will drop the res tempretures as I have found to my cost :wallbash::wallbash: this may be cause I pump WAY too much air in tho :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Or clumsy feckers for that matter...:wassnnme:  :rofl:

Yh, but to be fair..... Even when I break shit I do it properly  lol 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

Yh, but to be fair..... Even when I break shit I do it properly  lol 

:rofl:

Thanks everyone some really helpful advice right here.

What are the ideal temps in room read between 70_85 in veg and 70-80 in flower is this right? Mine got to 90 last night because I turned lights up...think I need a bigger extraction 

Pump is being moved outside the grow room tonight and just purchased a 6" extraction fan and 12" fan for the floor so hoping this cures it