Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Top Shotta

Upgrading Fan and Filter (HELP)

Hi guys so I have a 4" Rhino Hobby Filter and a 4" RAM Mixed Flow Inline fan, these are a result of buying before researching...

My tent size is a Budbox Pro 75x75x160cm
I have a DIYLEDUK Scope 220

I was going to upgrade my filter to a 5" Mountain air with a 5" to 4" duct reducer to match my current fan although I may just buy a matching 5" fan
(If there are better carbon filters please say, I would rather buy one that will last a good time)

Any advice on a quiet 4 or 5" fan or would my money be better spent on a speed controller? I will be using negative pressure with the passive intakes open, covered with cooker hood filter to prevent light leaks so I don't think I require a twin speed fan as I only need to control the speed of the extraction fan (If this helps make a difference in price)
I could also purchase acoustic ducting or phonic trap acoustic ducting if these are worth the money if anybody has experience with these

Thanks a lot!

Edited by Top Shotta

The mountain airs a good filter same as I have, your four inch fan will struggle with the mountain air IMHO , I use a five inch rvk type which works ok on a five step variac also passive inlets ..my fans wrapped in bubble wrap on top of cupboard on pillows with a duvet over it all, the outlet goes into a cat carrier lol by the window .:oldtoker:

Edited by Arthur Mix
Addition
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

The mountain airs a good filter same as I have, your four inch fan will struggle with the mountain air IMHO , I use a five inch rvk type which works ok on a five step variac also passive inlets ..my fans wrapped in bubble wrap on top of cupboard on pillows with a duvet over it all, the outlet goes into a cat carrier lol by the window .:oldtoker:

My current fan is 160/200 m3/hr 
I thought a matching or bigger filter was a better idea ( Sorry I'm a noob so thanks for any advice and correcting me if I'm wrong! )
Why would my fan struggle ?
I think a 5" Mountain air and a 5" RVK sounds like a good idea, what controller do you use and does it get the job done or would you rather upgrade in the future ?
I am hopeless with electrics and wiring although I guess I will soon have to learn or find somebody capable of wiring I was suggested a WAC1 as a good variac controller, is there a plug and play alternative or do all of these have the 'buzzing' issue that many people mention.

I currentlly have the fan wrapped around 2 towels that have been folded a few times and duct tape around the fan, looks a bit funny but lowers the noise output :D

The cat carrier idea is amazing haha, I have heard people using kitty litter for some type of homemade carbon filter (I would not use this method however lol )
Maybe this explains why so many stoners have cats ? :D Who knew they are so handy when it comes to growing!

I actually use two fans the same , one on a 90x60x90 for veg on step two of five, no buzzing or hums as its a transformer type irc. They work well and have been in use for several years , I should prob clean inside the fan tbh it's over ten years old the one on my flower cupboard .. Your mixed flow fan won't have the power to suck through or blow through an oversized filter IMHO , had one once for a day lol , it may come in useful at some point though .. As for mountain air filters or phresh I have used both and rate them higher than rhino , had seeping small issues last few I tried , Hense mountain air that's prob over two years old just and is ok .:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

So I will notedown 5" RVK and a 5" Mountain Air filter,  this would cost me £150 
(Do i need tools for wiring or can the fan be connected with only a screwdriver)

I am not sure about the speed controller is there one you can recommend? Did you wire these?
I am hopeless with cables and wiring and it scares me lol, I'm really clueless.

I would need to buy a mains lead with a plug on one end and stripped ends on the other end for the RVK fan. 
I can get a 5 amp or 13 amp which would be the right one ?
unknown.png
unknown.png

1 person likes this

wac1 wiring.

gallery_36349_2174_22587.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_85388.jpg

1 person likes this

Ive got the same light and tent.A daft 4 inch hydro lab ec fan with variable controller £80 ill check that names right later.

I hooked it up with 4 inch phonic trap ducting and it gently  blows into my hall way next to my bedroom dont here fuck all.

Just google 4 inch ec fans im sure you'll  find something.

Edited by icki
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, icki said:

Ive got the same light and tent.A daft 4 inch hydro lab ec fan with variable controller £80 ill check that names right later.

I hooked it up with 4 inch phonic trap ducting and it gently  blows into my hall way next to my bedroom dont here fuck all.

Just google 4 inch ec fans im sure you'll  find something.

unknown.png 
This one ? Sounds like a good idea and I wouldn't kill myself trying to wire stuff (Also around the same price of a RVK and I wouldn't need to spend money on a controller)

yep

I run it at 30% max