Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Thai Stick

DIY Holiday Watering Solution

17 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. 

So a friend of mine is proving to be a bit useless with his watering cycle and its causing his plants to not be so great. 

I want to either purchase a watering kit for him or knock one up. 

Years and years ago I had a kit from growell that seemed to just be a aquarium water pump, some pipework and dippers but from what I remember it didn't work very well. 

I have seen a kit made by a company called Gardena that seems like a better bit of kit. 

https://www.gardena.com/int/products/watering/holiday-watering/holiday-watering-set/900903201/

Ideally I would just knock her up a simple watering system

Growing in soil

Feeding only water. 

Would be great to see what others are doing for their watering. 

Peace & Love

Thai Stick

If you're feeding only water, 'BLUMAT' with the tap connection instead of the water tank.  Literally set and forget.

1 person likes this

I'll second blumat.

Words of warning. If you connect them to the tap connection so they are on constant supply. 

Sometimes........Sometimes, one gets away with itself and for some reason will keep dripping and just need dialing back a notch.

It's not a problem, if you check every day, the worst that you will find is a slight damp patch under a pot and it's 30 seconds to adjust. 

9/10 times you could walk away for a week or more and be fine but if it was me, I'd connect them to a tank that holds enough water for the plants for whatever period as a safety net.

If he just wants it as an alternative to hand watering they are great. One thing I will say is that if he's shite at judging soil moistureblevels perhaps it wpuld be a good idea to set them up for him.

If he sets them super soggy then he's gonna run into anaerobic conditions fast.

6 people like this

Thanks for the recommendations @JJJ and @blackpoolbouncer.

Unfortunately i cant seem to be able to source blumat's in my country, Thailand.

I've never been much of a hydro person, and if i did hydro it would be in a self contained system like the Waterfarm or Aquafarm.

However i have access to a lot of irrigation supplies to knock something up myself if i have the confidence that what i set up will work, will evenly drip enough water and most importantly not syphon off the whole reservoir once the pump is off.

@Thai Stick if you type in blumat drippers Thailand it comes up with w website called ubuy.co.th

It will be insanely hard to rig up anything even remotely close to being half as good at irritating your plants as what blumats do.

Morning UK420, as it happens i was setting up a dripper last night for this very purpose, i usually hand feed but if i go away i always pot up (in soil) a week or 2 before i go then drop a water pump on a timer in a water butt attached to a dripper system, i grow in soil and use the black wilma drippers, and it always works a treat !

Autopots seem pretty good. Never used them myself but worth a look if you can get a hold of them.

Edited by JJJ
1 person likes this

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, LA LUNA said:

Morning UK420, as it happens i was setting up a dripper last night for this very purpose, i usually hand feed but if i go away i always pot up (in soil) a week or 2 before i go then drop a water pump on a timer in a water butt attached to a dripper system, i grow in soil and use the black wilma drippers, and it always works a treat !

You got a picture of how youve got it set up?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

You got a picture of how youve got it set up?

Cheers

Not at the minute mate, im grafting away, its pretty simple though mate ill put one up tonight.

Edited by LA LUNA

If you use big enough pots, you can get away with weekly watering which increases in flowering.

I've dabbled with all the old school hydro but prefer soil because, to be frank, I've never grew a hydro that matched a good soil grown bud.

Looked at blulab but even that can go wrong. I have automation for timers only. The hand watering with a careful eye on the plants is good enough for me.

If I'm away, I'd be able to use bowls to give the plants over 10L. Does for a week. Any longer, I'd get trusted help to take care.

There is a lot to be gleaned from using passive hydro wicks.  Very simple and no moving parts.  Each plant drinks to is own requirements too.  

2 people like this

Hi.  I use a very basic system.

60l barrel.  In this I have placed a 5 l empty feed container filled with some ballast (gravel) and water so it sinks to the bottom.  On top of this sits my pump and to the side of this sits my tank heater.  The 5l container is to raise the pump off the bottom of the barrel so my pump can not drain the barrel dry and expose the tank heater to the air which will break it.

The pump feeds a vertical pipe, at the top is a 'T' piece.  The right is the feed to the tent.  On top sits a one way valve which allows air into the system when the pump stops to eliminate the siphon effect.

Attached to the feed to the tent I have 5 * 4mm pipes which feed a splitter and attached to each splitter are 2 drippers.  Each pair of drippers goes to one fabric pot delivering approx 2l per hour of feed.

I can add more drippers etc to this system.

The whole set up is then run by a timer and I feed several times during the lights on cycle.

I ensure the entire set up is sitting in a large 40l tray which will catch all the nutrient solution in case the pump goes on a mental one and runs continuously (happened once).

The system is very simple and I find effective.  price of pipe work and drippers about a tenner.  Pumps and heaters obv additional.

Good luck

Capillary matting and a bucket, no chance of a leak and the plants consume what they need.

1 person likes this

I have to go away for up to  a week on regular basis and after weeks of reading forums and watching youtube it looks to me like the best I can get is dripper system.

I have atami wilma and it works well with timer -I have it on 4 feeds per day-15 minutes each time. and plants are ok. 

I run it on 5-6-l of water but if need to I can go well over 100l. I have been testing it and what I have learnt is I have to add less nutrients-lets say 50% and set ph low-5.7 for example. After few days ph will go up not over 6.4-6.5 and ec is still within the limit. 

Is there any batter way?