Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fogtigallo

Glass beads for gnats

Hope everyone is good, had some glass beads hanging around the yard at work and was thinkng of putting on top of the soil to help prevent any gnats, thought it might be the same sorta stuff like gnat off and Diatomaceous earthhttps://www.phosphorescentpaint.co.uk/retroreflective-adhesive-tape/486-reflective-glass-microbeads.html thats the stuff 

Edited by Fogtigallo

Nope I dont think it will unless its microscopically small enough/compacts enough to form a protective layer.

I use DE in many ways and it works because of it's fine size and high silica content.

For a simple protection layer you just need a layer of damp sand carefully pressed until it's a little compacted.

Even now there is uncertainty over how DE works exactly,some say it's because it damages the waxy skin of aphids etc and some say it's because it dehydrates them or a mixture of both ,either way it works and has several other properties including releasing quality silica as it degrades in compost and plants love silica as it's an essential part of cell structures. It also retains moisture and has a myriad of other uses,including for humans.

I add a small cup of it to every pot now as a first defence. Just dont get to liberal with it and breathe it in to much. It's not dangerous as such but breathing anything like that isn't good.

Go buy a bag of Food grade freshwater DE as it's cheap as chips.

You also need to ensure there are no small pools of fluids,run of,fallen leaves,hidden little corners etc.

If you have a lot of gnats I find using a small handheld Hoover with tights over works really well over a week or two.

Everytime you look in your space pick up your little hoover and suck any up you see flying about,the tights stop it ripping leaves of, over a period of time it works because your removing adult gnats so their chances of breeding are lowered each time you remove some and eventually the numbers reduce to a point they're barely able to breed anymore.

Three chemical free simple options for gnats there mate and best of luck with the little gits!

Edited by 2Fat2EatThat
3 people like this

Thanks for the reply, gonna order some de over the weekend, not really got a problem just thought the glass beads might of worked, I had a bit of a thrip prob and got the Hoover on the plant then flowed by some neem, did think about using the Hoover on soil but didn't think about the tights over it so gonna do that soon 

I use a yellow sticky thing. Apparently gnats are attracted to the colour yellow, land on it and stick to it.

it seems to work. 

Bag of play sand from DIY store. play sand (for sand pits etc.) does not have any salt in it unlike buiders sharp sand. A layer on top of each pot and some yellow sticky traps have always kept me gnat free.

Bio