Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

stillo

DWC

19 posts in this topic

Good Evening Everyone.

I hope everyone is well and having a fantastic day, I'm sorry I'm back again but I would like to ask if anyone could point me in the right direction with regards to DWC.

Now I have only managed my first grow, and am quite proud of what i have done. I could not have done it without the help of the members of these forums, so thank you all very much.

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I wish to have a go at DWC . I understand the basic principles of how this works, but I am completely lost as to what I need for aNewbie, I have purchased an oxypot, Air Pump, and air stones. Unfortunately that's as far as I have got.

I also have an EC meter, but I do not have pH testing meter, I was reading on the Internet that Semsai nutrients could be used as you do not need to pH the water is this correct? If so how much would I need to buy. Would it be 1 L. Would it be 5 L. Do I need to buy A and B.

I don't mind spending some money to enable me to go down this road, so any suggestions for materials. Or equipment will be extremely appreciated.

Sorry for further questions, but I am well chuffed with what I have done so far and I would not like to go DWC

take care

stillo

all you need is a oxypot, air pump, airstones. 

I use and recommend ionic nutrients, none of this  A and B nonsense, just grow nutrient  and bloom nutrient, you will also need  silicone and cal mag if your water is soft (ie less than 0.2 ec without nutrients). a litre of each grow and bloom should be enough. 1/2 a litre of silicone and cal mag would be plenty.

im presuming you are just doing one plant.

I would definitely get a ph pen and ec pen, these are not really optional they are essential imho.

You might be better with some insulation for the bucket/oxypot, to help keep temps under control. 

hope this helps.

2 people like this

Good Evening, Badbillybob

thank you very much for your response. It is really appreciated, yes, I am only going to be growing one plant at a time, understand how it all works. I was just unsure on how to make it work, you've answered my questions. Thank you very much.

I didn't realise about insulin the bucket, that's a very good idea, although I do have air-conditioning in the room so I can keep the temperature in the room. Low but I understand it's the temperature of the water.

Thank you very much. I'm eternally grateful for your help.

Take care

stillo

no problem. Another tip is to keep the air pump at a level, above the water level of the oxypot.

it will stop the pump from back syphoning, in the event of a power cut etc. 

good luck with it, 

3 people like this

@stillo When you get things up and running start a Diary and @mention me there, usually pop in most days and would be glad to follow along and help in any way I can. 

Some quick advice though.... Before you start I'd concentrate on the early stages of growing in Hydro, its not quite the same as soil. Your'll need a different approach as the seedlings roots in your chosen starting cube will be bare and not covered in soil in the time before you put them into the DWC, so read up and plan ahead. Keep those roots moist but not over saturated and away from light and algae. Steer clear of ANYTHING organic especially in the early veg stages, its your choice if you try beneficial additives but my advice would be to again stay away in hydro and stick to very low EC basic Hydro nutrients.

Have EVERYTHING ready for the grow, don't leave anything for another day because in DWC / Hydro a day could be all you have to correct any issues. The Cal/Mag being the upmost important of nutrients besides the basic, but as badbillybob as said some silicone wont go amiss, be careful though as a few brands of silicone are extremely Alkaline and will send you PH all over the place. Plant Magic used to make my PH go over 10!! 

Get a PH pen before you plant any seeds :yep:

Best of luck.

GV.

5 people like this

Good morning Badbillybod Greenvision.

Thank you for the fantastic advice it has been taken on board and I am grateful for it.

would like to ask if you could recommend either of these meter to me, I can purchase a Bluelabs Truncheon and an essentials pH meter for £109, or I can purchase and essentials pH, and an essentials EC meter for £69, I'm not bothered about the price. I just wondered if you could possibly recommend either of these or if you can recommend any other.

Have a great day.

Take care

stillo

I

2 people like this

i use bluelab truncheon ec meter, and bluelab ph meter. they are both excellent meters , and reliable for readings, unlike some others. 

remember to calibrate it before you start. there is calibration solution  with the ph pen when you buy it. 

3 people like this

Thank you Badbillybod.

I will have a look at the Bluelabs pH meter as well..Much appreciated, I know I said one more question, but unfortunately I do have another one, and then hopefully I will pester you animal.

With regards to the media, can I just use ordinary clay pebbles, but I can buy from an auction site, or do I need to buy some other type of pebbles?

Take care

stillo

1 person likes this

You're getting excellent advice from @badbillybob and @GreenVision.... they know their stuff. Best advice I've seen so far is to keep the EC low.

I'd get Canna clay pebbles, at least you know they're tried and tested. Just be sure to wash them thoroughly and then soak in pH5.8 water for a bit before using them.

What GV was saying about silicone is so true, it's occasionally used as a pH down by some growers just cos of that!

The House and Garden product - 'Amino Treatment' - is pretty good, doesn't fuck the pH up and has other shit in it too as well as silicone.

Bluelab are excellent. I find the pH probe is a bit slow, but the Guardian is very quick, and can be kept in the DWC for a constant check on EC and pH. You won't need a Truncheon if you get a Guardian, but it's useful for mixing up and stirring your nutrient.

EC 0 water is best, so an RA filter and a Flexitank would be useful. I screwwd the RA filter to a plank and plonked it in the shower, attached to the shower hose, for my filtered supply.

You will need to keep an eye on the water temp, 21° is optimum, but the lights will heat up the bucket (and thus the water). Black piping and pots will absorb the heat, so insulate them, and maybe a cooler is on the shopping list, like a simple aquarium cooler.

That brings me onto noise.... the pumps and fans all will make a racket, and a water cooler... well, you'll certainly hear that running! You'll need some thick foam (like 'acoustic foam') to put your gear on. 

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

2 people like this

Thank you Teehee

I will take your advice, so far the advice of from everyone is fantastic, the DWC will be in my bedroom, at the moment I have extractor fan intake fan until monkey funds running and the noise doesn't bother me at all.

Will the addition of a chiller and air pump make a really big difference to the noise, if so, is it possible to put any of the kit into the loft directly above the tent.

I have a six-inch TD silent fan in the looft and is near silent. I cannot hear the extraction at all, but like I say, the noise doesn't really bother me. I'm just concerned my neighbors may hear it.

Take care

stillo

1 person likes this

can I please ask another question. I was advised by Badbillybob to use iconic nutrients, I have no problem with this and I will use them, but I need to find out if I need to buy the nutrients for soft or hard water.

My water  company reports

Water hardness average: 53.5mg/l calcium , which according to my watery report at my location is slightly hard is it better for me to buy the iconic nutrients for hard water?.

I have ordered myself NEC meter and a pH meter, and I will some point by myself. The bluelabs Guardian, I believe, have now purchased everything I need. Apart from the nutrients so can someone please advise me whether to buy iconic for hard or soft water. According to the above readings,do I also need to purchase Cal mag if my water is slightly hard.

Take care

stillo

4 hours ago, teehee said:

You're getting excellent advice from @badbillybob and @GreenVision.... they know their stuff. Best advice I've seen so far is to keep the EC low.

I'd get Canna clay pebbles, at least you know they're tried and tested. Just be sure to wash them thoroughly and then soak in pH5.8 water for a bit before using them.

What GV was saying about silicone is so true, it's occasionally used as a pH down by some growers just cos of that!

The House and Garden product - 'Amino Treatment' - is pretty good, doesn't fuck the pH up and has other shit in it too as well as silicone.

Bluelab are excellent. I find the pH probe is a bit slow, but the Guardian is very quick, and can be kept in the DWC for a constant check on EC and pH. You won't need a Truncheon if you get a Guardian, but it's useful for mixing up and stirring your nutrient.

EC 0 water is best, so an RA filter and a Flexitank would be useful. I screwwd the RA filter to a plank and plonked it in the shower, attached to the shower hose, for my filtered supply.

You will need to keep an eye on the water temp, 21° is optimum, but the lights will heat up the bucket (and thus the water). Black piping and pots will absorb the heat, so insulate them, and maybe a cooler is on the shopping list, like a simple aquarium cooler.

That brings me onto noise.... the pumps and fans all will make a racket, and a water cooler... well, you'll certainly hear that running! You'll need some thick foam (like 'acoustic foam') to put your gear on. 

Good luck, hope it all goes well.

what is an RA filter and flexitime, if I may ask. I've searched this term on the Internet and I can't find anything

stillo

1 person likes this

Sorry mate, I meant RO filter.... Reverse Osmosis Machine... the go by different names, but are found in the 'pumps and irrigation' departments of most hydro sshops.

Something like a '90 Litre Reverse Osmosis Filter Machine Tmc V2 pure 50'

You don't HAVE to get a Flexitank, a big bucket or a bin will do.... it's just to store your nice clean EC 0 water.... keep it aerated with a simple water pump.

EC 0 water is funny stuff. Cos there's nothing in it, it can react wildly to pH change the moment you add anything (ie nutrient) to it. It even looks different when you stir or agitate it.

What some do is to buffer their EC 0 water with Cal - Mag. The minerals in act to stabilize the pH for your nutrient mix.... which will still need checking and adjusting for pH etc. With buffered water, you'll see less fluctuations in your pH later on.

EC 0 water takes away all the hard/soft issues, and you know EXACTLY what the plant's getting, so you can be more accurate about your dosing and be able to identify any deficiencies etc if they happen.

Hope that helps!

1 person likes this

Good Morning Teehee

Thank you very much for that very valuable information and thank you very much for the other information you provided me, I' presumed you meant RO but was unsure. I have read a lot about RO water, I have a water distiller at home, but it takes about four hours to do 4 L when I have checked that EDS of the water with my distiller. It is extremely low, so I think I will go down the RO route.

if I use RO  what is the directions of adding Cal Mag to the water on the bottle or do you need to put specific amounting, obviously, I have no idea as I have never done this before.

I know this information is freely available If you search ,I have a severe site problem and searching gets a little bit disorientating, so I'm extremely grateful to you for answering my questions directly as I am to everyone else.

I'm looking very much forward to getting this going and I thank you for all the advice you have given me to get me started.

have a nice day

Take care

stillo

1 person likes this

The RO machines take ages... you can get ones with different flow rates, but they're all gonna be slow, hence the need for a nice big reservoir of EC water.... that's where the flexitank (or plastic bin etc) comes in.

You wanna add enough Cal Mag to bring the EC up to around EC 0.2. In the end for me I was giving 0.2ml/L in veg and upped it to 0.3ml/L in flowering.... I was using the 'Bloom' brand  but now I'm using Grotek's 'CalMax', because it has less Nitrogen. The Bloom brand was 5-0-0 and the Grotek is 2-0-0, and the extra N was making them stretch a lot more.

Once you've mixed in the Cal Mag, divide into 2, add A to one and B to the other and remix,... add your additves, pH adjust and you're away. You don't need all the additoves they recommend. Maybe a root stimulator and an enzyme.... bit of silicone maybe (only in veg)... and in Bloom, keep the sugars going in and dont bother with late bloom boosters (like Top Shooter or Overdrive), very expensive and leads to inconsistent quality of bud, old bud with new bud growing out of it in the form of foxtails.

Keep it fairly simple, don't go pushing up the EC for the sake fof it... nice and easy does it and watch the plant for any signs.... she'll tell you what she needs!

1 person likes this