Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

starfish

Good plot bad soil

So iv been out scouting plots so far iv found 2 im confident in only thing is one of them is a old tip a lot of years ago it has been a woodland and a lot of nettles and growth but I dug down and hit metal around 14 inch deep should I lug compost there and make a raised bed or use pots or.would I be fine to grow sttraight in the ground with some amendments 

1 person likes this

This can be good but also could be iffy. There’s stuff on here about landfill growing if you want to research. Hemp and Canna suck up heavy metals and nasties out of soil and store them. You may grow tits or glow in the dark if you get it wrong. Try and do research on the area and see what was there before. If you’re serious about the site then you could use dug in self watering water/grow butts and isolate yourself from the native soil and water completely. A stunt but do able. Just selected this one at random to give you an idea  

Edited by Lea Valley
2 people like this

Glow in the dark tits sounds fun :chains:

2 people like this

I'd have a good in the dark shlong 

Do you guys think digging holes and filling full of compost would be a good idea 

@starfish I don’t know why I’m bothering, do you ? 

3 people like this

A lot depends on what has been dumped there.  Have a good look around.  Assuming the soils not contaminated the profusion of nettles is a very good sign.  I'd not worry so much about soil depth per say but soil volume.  If the soil is shallower then the roots will run laterally more and more distance between plants is required.   Not for shading issues but due to the soil volume.

Personally I'd make collars out of 10L mayo buckets and earth up over a few stages with good compost.  Just very simple top dressing with compo really.

1 hour ago, starfish said:

Do you guys think digging holes and filling full of compost would be a good idea 

Fuck it off and find somewhere natural .

I cut through a tip and they have pipes coming out the ground in places to allow the gasses to come out.

I would never grow there

1 person likes this

I totally agree with you @Jack010 Contaminated soil should be avoided at all costs. But hang on..... as this island becomes increasingly populated and GGing is becoming increasingly popular it sometimes pays to go left field. Location location. Security is a major factor and finding special places is becoming harder. I’ve looked at this 2 years ago and dug into a landfill site. Covered with Whitethorn trees, grass and stingers it looked perfect. 6 inches under that I dug up metal, bricks, plastic St Michael butter tubs, eveready batteries and a whole host of 1970’s shit.

(its really bad what humans are doing to our environment)

But the location was fantastic, hence the quick reply with the water butt idea. It would be totally separate from the native soil and water and if you used a big drum it may help in the drier summers we’ve been having recently.  I might even give it a go next season now I think about it. 

Edited by Lea Valley
2 people like this