Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LordBonk

Trying to figure out what the best system for me is :)

I have a 5ft x 5ft tent and I want to maximize the space, but I dont want to have to water 20 plants individually, be they dirt or dwc.

Is my best option just to go with a 4x4 table and a res?

are there any ebb and flow bucket systems that work well?

what about a drip line on coir or something similar?

Help me out :)

Hi.  I use coir/perlite mix in fabric pots with a simple drip  system from a reservoir.... all bodged together and works well.....

1 person likes this

have a look at flood and drain systems

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, M Pamplemousse said:

Hi.  I use coir/perlite mix in fabric pots with a simple drip  system from a reservoir.... all bodged together and works well.....

the thing I dont understand about the drip, what happens to the runoff?

Or is there just none?

Is there any major drawbacks to the drip and coir?

I have my plants sitting in a large plastic tray with same footprint as tent.... Tray is slightly elevated at one end to provide a small fall to one corner..... I drilled a hole here and with the tent elevated off the ground, I have a tank (old NFT tank) under the tent.....  the run off flows to the corner and down the hole (I have a small funnel underneath) which drips/flows to the empty catch tank underneath.

I try to provide sufficient drips/flow to result in a small run off.

Drawbacks could be allowing nutrient buildup to occur in the coir.  I avoid this by not running too strong EC value and I use drip Clean to help keep the drippers clear and apparently it reduces nutrient buildup.  By allowing the coir to dry slightly between running the drippers (I have a timer set to run the drip feed pump every couple of hours but this will depend on the flow rate of your drippers (e.g. 1 litre per hour or 2 litres per hour etc).

For example, my input values are currently EC 1.5 and ph around the 5.8 mark.  Run off is coming in at EC 1.6 and ph 6.1.  Im assuming thats fairly good as the plants are healthy and I cant see signs of nutrient build up.

A risk is the pump timer screws up and pumps continuously.  But I always ensure the nutrient tank holds less than the drain tank under my tent.  Ive had this happen recently with a faulty timer so bear this in mind.

I guess another drawback is it allows you to miss an inspection or two which could mean you miss something.  Im in the habit of daily checks but it does mean I can go away for a weekend and can leave system ticking over.

I love my system as it avoids twice/thrice daily watering reaching into a tent to get the ones at the back.  It is very simple and cheap/easy to set up.

Happy to try to address any other queries.... Good luck.....

1 person likes this