Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mrbarty

Tincture and Seeds Problem

Most of my last year's crop was ruined by a hidden hermie. No such problem this year, but now I need the kilner jars that for the last 15 months have been storing pretty mediocre (at best) bud that's full of seed, some moreso than others.  Rather than just bin it, I did a bit of reading on here and reckon I could use it to make tincture. Especially so as I'm 76 and recently diagnosed with myeloma. So I bought myself a litre of pure ethanol online, but now it's arrived I'm a bit stumped. Where do I go from here?

The main problem is/are the seeds.  While there might be one or two seeds per bud, another will be almost solid with them. There's no way I can de-seed all of it. So would it be ok, does anyone know, if the seeds go 'in the mix'?  The bud has now mostly turned brown though having been jarred with Boveda packs it's still bendy to the touch. I suspect it would go quite dry once left in the open a couple of days. Should I give it a decarb? What happens when seed is decarbed as far as taste and quality of the final product is concerned?  Hopefully nothing at all.

My first instinct was to simply chop it all up real small, just cover with ethanol and bung it in a dark place for a few months and hope for the best. Then I read that the freezing method is best. Then the hot water bath method....

Any advice, pointers, recommendations gratefully received.  Thanks.

If washing with ethanol I would do a 30 second max wash with it personally and use the Rick simpson method....

Keeping the terpenes in tact requires much more effort and equipment :yep:

I posted this about separating seeds mate It might help you a bit

2 people like this

Rather than just bin it, 

Don't bin it mate  you can always cook with it

1 person likes this

On 9/9/2019 at 7:21 AM, mrbarty said:

Most of my last year's crop was ruined by a hidden hermie. No such problem this year, but now I need the kilner jars that for the last 15 months have been storing pretty mediocre (at best) bud that's full of seed, some moreso than others.  Rather than just bin it, I did a bit of reading on here and reckon I could use it to make tincture. Especially so as I'm 76 and recently diagnosed with myeloma. So I bought myself a litre of pure ethanol online, but now it's arrived I'm a bit stumped. Where do I go from here?

The main problem is/are the seeds.  While there might be one or two seeds per bud, another will be almost solid with them. There's no way I can de-seed all of it. So would it be ok, does anyone know, if the seeds go 'in the mix'?  The bud has now mostly turned brown though having been jarred with Boveda packs it's still bendy to the touch. I suspect it would go quite dry once left in the open a couple of days. Should I give it a decarb? What happens when seed is decarbed as far as taste and quality of the final product is concerned?  Hopefully nothing at all.

My first instinct was to simply chop it all up real small, just cover with ethanol and bung it in a dark place for a few months and hope for the best. Then I read that the freezing method is best. Then the hot water bath method....

Any advice, pointers, recommendations gratefully received.  Thanks.

If you do a QWET extraction, the seeds won't be in contact with the alcohol long enough for the alcohol to penetrate their shells.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303064858/https://skunkpharmresearch.com/qwet-extraction/

Hi mate, personally i haven't tried making a tincture but have made iso oil a fair amount of times now both with good quality bud and seeded bud, i would grind everything up so as to expose more bud area to the alcohol then freeze it for 24hrs, after that i normal use isopropyl and do a 30sec wash then filter it out through a coffee filter and evaporate it for oils, if it's a tincture your after just take the crushed bud from the freezer and into jars and cover with ethanol, try and use as little as you can, add it small amounts at a time and swirl the jar so the bud gets soaked and bocomes a smaller area in the jar that way you dont need to use as much alcohol making a stronger tincture, i always read it will take a long time to make a tincture i think but i wonder how long it really takes for the thc to be absorbed into the alcohol, the way it works with isopropyl it takes seconds, if that is the case, maybe you could wash with alcohol then evaporate most of it leaving behind about 100mls of strong tincture? Hopefully someone else can confirm if that is possible