Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ROCKSTEADY6

Homemade Worm Farm Advice

29 posts in this topic

Hi All. I have been interested in trying to learn more about organically feeding the plants we have on our little allotment and also my indoor plants. I wanted to try and make my own worm farm and I have already started. I have bought a large plastic tub and also a tap that I plan on fitting as low down as possible on the tub. The plan will be to harvest some worm leachate after a little while but I have very little knowledge on the subject. 

I had a couple of questions if anyone is passing by and could offer advice. In the main pinned thread there are a number of references to adding charcoal but I don't plan to put any in. Is this a mistake? Also in Winter how do people keep the worms warm as I am in the UK where zero degrees is common? 

I had planned to use coarse ballast around the tap exit point so that it doesn't get filled with sludge. Probably the bottom 6 inches. I wasn't going to have any drainage holes in the bottom of the tub. I haven't quite figured out if you need to pour extra water in there to extract the worm leachate but loads of time for that. I haven't actually fitted the tap yet so will need to squish things over to get the ballast in there. 

I already put in a bag of old compost, loads of cardboard etc, some older grass clippings and some old fruit and veg and 500g of composting worms, red rigglers i think. Any tips anyone has that I should be aware of then please let me know. 

large_Box.jpglarge.5d761adca33e8_WaterButtTap.jpg

2 people like this

I watched this yesterday  some tips about leachate (never liked the stuff myself) vermicompost starts at about 52 mins in

Urban Composting with Dr. Elaine Ingham From Soil Food Web || Valhalla Movement Network

2 people like this

8 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

never liked the stuff myself

Why’s that?

3 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Why’s that?

Yes how come Jim? I will check out that video when I can thanks. This is all new to me. I was just reading that worm leachate is not quite as good as worm tea so perhaps I would be better making tea but that involves more processes by the looks of things. 

11 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Why’s that?

I did a side by side with it a few years back and didn't notice any difference at all.What I did do recently after another of Dr. Elaine Inghams vids was Shove a 2inch pipe into my bin so I had a column of couple of feet of EWC in it tied a cloth over the end and percolated a liter of water through it collected the water and foliar sprayed my plants and they seemed to love it

Edited by Jimboo
3 people like this

5 minutes ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

Yes how come Jim? I will check out that video when I can thanks. This is all new to me. I was just reading that worm leachate is not quite as good as worm tea so perhaps I would be better making tea but that involves more processes by the looks of things. 

yeah she gives a better explanation than me mate

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Why’s that?

1 hr 2 mins in explains better than myself mate

1 person likes this

Those boxes are pretty big. If you've got it mostly filled with medium the worms will just go right in the middle over winter and they should be fine. It's the poxy bins where people have their worms living in a bit of paper on kitchen scraps where they freeze. Throw some carpet over the bin for good measure but in a good lump of soil like that your worms will survive the same way they do in the ground. Just go below the frost level. 

2 people like this

Just about to start a vermicompost project also and all new to me - will be checking in for info ;)  Thanks in advance to members posting info also.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Sargares said:

Those boxes are pretty big. If you've got it mostly filled with medium the worms will just go right in the middle over winter and they should be fine. It's the poxy bins where people have their worms living in a bit of paper on kitchen scraps where they freeze. Throw some carpet over the bin for good measure but in a good lump of soil like that your worms will survive the same way they do in the ground. Just go below the frost level. 

That is good to hear Sargares. I really didn't want to wheel it into the house for Winter. The tub is 145L so not gigantic but big enough for a beginner by the sounds of things. 

1 hour ago, polo71 said:

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/topic/303706-my-allotment/&page=70

page 70 onwards not sure its that's the sort of thing you mean but still good info.

Cheers Polo71. I have to admit I have been on @ratdog thread and also your thread. I hadn't seen his worm farm though. Your vegetable gardens are incredible and something I am aiming for. 

55 minutes ago, InTheSystem said:

Just about to start a vermicompost project also and all new to me - will be checking in for info ;)  Thanks in advance to members posting info also.

Get in there mate. I have little knowledge but can learn on the way. 

2 people like this

It's all a bit of a jumble in there, well it will be. I thought I was aiming to get worm leachate but seems that worm tea is better but its possible i might just use this as the medium to grow in. Perhaps too hot but only time will tell.

It has about 25L of older repotting soil in there already and I will put in 20L of coir which is on order. Rock dust seems to be a interesting topic so will chuck some of that in too. The top bed was made from grass clippings and cardboard but I like the carpet idea. Anything else I should be adding in to make the worms environment productive? 

crushed eggshells:yes:

2 people like this

they love corrugated cardboard mate , apparently, the soil microbes love the glue and the worms love the microbes

tbh mate I wouldn't put the coir in atm I would let them get established and breeding and munching their way through the old compost first,Dont overfeed them mate put the food in 1 corner and don't feed again until most of its gone

Edited by Jimboo
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

tbh mate I wouldn't put the coir in atm I would let them get established and breeding and munching their way through the old compost first,Dont overfeed them mate put the food in 1 corner and don't feed again until most of its gone

Ok cheers Jim I will hold off putting any coir in until a later date. Funny the microbes are going for the glue not the cardboard. I have already spread the worm food out across the whole thing but thanks for the tip, will use one corner in future feedings.