Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

captain sensible

heating tube heater
Tube heater

34 posts in this topic

Life, never an easy one. So I am still ( I was hoping to have started a couple of weeks ago by now...but never mind. Preparation is the key, although necessity is the mother of invention- as some might say) getting the final bits together before embarking on a grow. 

This is the problem atm. Heating. Temperature in a growing space needs to have some sort of control, so what is the best way of heating a 80cmx80cmx160cm grow tent? So far I have looked a numerous methods, tube heaters, small fan heaters, etc.. but would anyone have advice from experience of heating this space? I am using a Mars Hydra II, 400w, a 5inch RAM air fan to extract attached to a 5inch Rhino Pro carbon filter. At present the temperature with the lights on and the fan running is only 22c (RH- 57%). No plants in yet (unless you count a couple of chilli plants to check out the heat and humidty levels in the tent). I appreciate RH levels will change with plants in and growing, the bigger and more water then higher levels. What am looking for is a simple heating method with some sort of thermostat to regulate temperatures. Any suggestions/ideas more than welcome.

1 person likes this

Is your fan running full blast? Do you have a fan controller and what is your intake temperature? All important in my eyes and should be looked at before heating. 

Hi, the fan is a RAM, 2 speed which is extracting. It's on the first setting. Not got a speed controller on it, not using an intake. Too much noise am concerned about the electric bill. As far as I can see ideally I should have an intake as well but a lot of advice suggests that passive intake should suffice in the space I'm growing in. My problem is raising the temperature in the tent and keeping it relatively stable. A bit cooler during lights off. I thought possibly a tube heater(80w) with a built in thermostat would do the job. The central heating goes off at midnight. I can't sleep with heating on. 

1 person likes this

tube heaters work great combined with a heat mat and lifting tent of the floor if its cold. Do you live in the uk as its still mild at the mo? I grow in a similar size area as do many without an intake fan. I find its more important to keep the roots warm more than the room if you have to pick. 

atb

5 people like this

Temps in the uk are slowly dropping, the sooner you sow the sooner you harvest. I would get those seeds going now and sort out your grow as it goes. 

My first grow was in January and took 4 months till harvest, had a tubular heater too. 

2 people like this

Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping to get them going in the next couple of weeks. Am going away for a few days at the end of week so they will be starting next week. How about the small fan heaters? They have built in thermostats although they are not very reliable and I want to avoid using the oil radiators. I don't want something bulky which could damage the plants as they grow and fill the space. I'm in Yorkshire so a bit cooler than the South. The roots should be okay as the tent is in a spare room on carpet above the kitchen where the boiler is. My concern is night time as the LEDs don't give out any substantial heat so even if I have the lights on when central heating cuts off there will not be enough heat to get that 25c +. If I'm starting next week and looking at 12 weeks+ before harvest, then it will be mid December and outside temperatures could be very low by then. 

Wouldn’t go with a fan heater bud, they tend to glow or at least have a small light on them and you want that tent to be proper dark when flowering else you might end up with Hermies.

1 hour ago, golf.007 said:

tube heaters work great combined with a heat mat and lifting tent of the floor if its cold. Do you live in the uk as its still mild at the mo? I grow in a similar size area as do many without an intake fan. I find its more important to keep the roots warm more than the room if you have to pick. 

atb

I'm putting together something very much like this at the moment for my outhouse! I've been getting quite intimate written old pallets recently.. 

40 minutes ago, NiceCuppaTea4Me said:

Wouldn’t go with a fan heater bud, they tend to glow or at least have a small light on them and you want that tent to be proper dark when flowering else you might end up with Hermies.

That's good thinking. thanks for that. I am constructing some light baffles for the venting to ensure no light during dark time but I had neglected the fact that fan heaters give off a glow. in fact I have had a look at mine now and it has a small red light on thr front that comes on when the heater kicks in. Well I suppose ata push I could use a small oil radiator or get an 80w tube heater( will that be sufficient, too much or not enough?) with a thermostat on. 

Edited by captain sensible

a tube heater would be a damn sight cheaper to run, as you said yourself it's only 80w. you can get an inkbird temp controller for about £30 that will dial that right spot on for you. 

if you're worried about electric costs have a look at this to put your mind at rest a bit:-

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity

i'm still in the process of my first grow, but what i've worked out so far is you can't go about this half arsed regards the environment. for example the fans for my grow, a 6" rvk and a 5" rvk draw 69.6w and 29.2w respectively, over the say 13 weeks of the grow they're going to cost me 30 quid. it's not worth scrimping over really i don't reckon.

Edited by ison
5 people like this

When I started up in the loft many moons ago with a tent temps were very difficult to regulate. Even with heaters, try to insulate the tent if you can, even if you wrap the whole thing with that silver bubble wrap stuff

3 people like this

Personally I would use your central heating to heat the grow room/tent. It's much cheaper than electric.

If you don't like sleeping with heating on, can't you just turn your bedroom radiator off, unless your tents in the same room?

It might be worth using a heat mat or electric blanket to heat the pots up to keep roots at 20deg.

My central heating is set to 20deg with the thermostat in the grow room.

2 people like this

Tube heaters all the way! Make sure you cover any 'power on' lights. Some have a red bulb to show it's on, you need to cover it.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bearukc said:

Tube heaters all the way! Make sure you cover any 'power on' lights. Some have a red bulb to show it's on, you need to cover it.

Thanks for that. I have seen some first time growers on this forum who have excellent results by researching properly before setting out, so I want to make sure I can plan as much as possible in advance and get a decent crop. I think I will take the option of 2 foot tube heater with a thermostat. 

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, seb88 said:

Personally I would use your central heating to heat the grow room/tent. It's much cheaper than electric.

If you don't like sleeping with heating on, can't you just turn your bedroom radiator off, unless your tents in the same room?

It might be worth using a heat mat or electric blanket to heat the pots up to keep roots at 20deg.

My central heating is set to 20deg with the thermostat in the grow room.

That's basically my plan except the central heating is off at midnight ( impossible to sleep with it on) and  even if the LEDs (Mars 400II Hydra) set to come in then they do not provide enough heat. The tent is 80x80x180, but I was hoping on getting 3-4 plants in there (Gorilla Glue #4) so I just need something to provide enough heat to keep them growing properly if the temperatures drop. I am reluctant to add active air intake, but maybe that would be a better solution and have warm air sucked into the grow space. I'm not the best with electrics. Some of the set ups I have seen on these forums are amazing. Everything connected through computer control to optimise the environment. Maybe I will manage that one day but as this is my first grow I want to get going and learn. Thanks so far for any ideas. 

1 person likes this