Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Amsterbud

Advice needed

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys i was running a 4x4 with a 5” extractor and no intake . But my temps couldnt be controlled . So i purchased 2 budget led lights . A phlizon 900w and a niello 600w cob/cree. Together their actual wattage is 310 which is no where near enough for a good yield and the coverage and penetration of these leds sucks too . (I was uneducated at the time) .

so now im trying to decide on how to progress. I have about £400 as a budget possibly 450 And im trying to consider every setup option so i can control my temps and at the same time get good yields. I have considered buying a small AC unit and using my hps with that. Then a friend told me to get an air cooled hood. Another has told me to invest in quantum boards but i cannot for the life of me find one sufficient for a 4x4 within my budget. So please guys can you think of some ideas im open to all options and completely changing my setup if need be but it has to be within my budget . 

Thanks guys any help would be massively appreciated as i grow for my own medical needs and i am seriously struggling to produce quality meds.

Edited by Amsterbud
1 person likes this

@diyleduk...

That's where I would start bud, you will improve yields and quality, reduce bills and temps...your current extraction will probably be up to it as well...

Have a chat with him mate...:yep:

3 people like this

Hey stu ,

i have checked out diyleduk but unfortunately i do not know how to assemble my own light kit nor do i have the knowledge or balls to deal with electrics. So a diy kit is out the question for me .

I used to run a 600W sodium in a 4 x 4 space with a 5" RVK and managed fine but with a 4" active intake and this is your priority bud ;)  Get the environment tickety boo and then worry about lighting because if the environment is wrong, no matter what light you put on them, they won't perform as well as those within excellent environment conditions :yep: 

There's no real electrical work to putting together DIYLED's kit either, just some assembly stuff really

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, Amsterbud said:

Hey stu ,

i have checked out diyleduk but unfortunately i do not know how to assemble my own light kit nor do i have the knowledge or balls to deal with electrics. So a diy kit is out the question for me .

i know it's easy for me to say, but it really is a piece of piss to wire these up mate. i think most of the QBs use wago type connectors, and all you need to with the them is strip the wire, put it in the wago and then push down a little lever. the kettle lead connector to the driver is no different to wiring a plug really. there's enough of us here to advise you if you get stuck.

but as @botanicssays get the environment sorted. i'm on my first grow, and was advised by lads here to get a 6" rvk fan out, a 5" rvk fan in and a variac to quieten the fuckers down. and that extraction got me and my 1m x 1m x 2m tent through all that hot weather just fine, and that was with me being utter clueless. a variac costs about £75 and a 6" rvk about the same, kick in a bit of acoustic ducting say £40, and that's you golden heat wise and air change, and you've still got £210 to chuck towards the light for laters.

@Amsterbud edit.

Edited by ison
3 people like this

Thanks man i thought thered be alot more to it than that. Ok so im now seriously considering getting a a diy kit. Thanks again man one last question on these quantum boards are the yeilds and overall quality better than with led/hid/hps etc???

9 minutes ago, botanics said:

I used to run a 600W sodium in a 4 x 4 space with a 5" RVK and managed fine but with a 4" active intake and this is your priority bud ;)  Get the environment tickety boo and then worry about lighting because if the environment is wrong, no matter what light you put on them, they won't perform as well as those within excellent environment conditions :yep: 

There's no real electrical work to putting together DIYLED's kit either, just some assembly stuff really

So your saying if i get a 4” intake i can comfortably use the hps ??? Does the intake flow really affect the temps that much ???? I feel quite stupid for not thinking of this myself deffo worth a go i will do that .

2 people like this

@Amsterbud

Oh yes, with an active intake, you'd cool a 600W.  I ran mine in the loft and used to get very warm in summer but with intake air from inside the cooler air within the house and an insulated grow box, I would get decent results and no serious temp issues ;) 

1 person likes this

26 minutes ago, Amsterbud said:

So your saying if i get a 4” intake i can comfortably use the hps ??? Does the intake flow really affect the temps that much ???? I feel quite stupid for not thinking of this myself deffo worth a go i will do that .

if i were you i would get a 6" rvk to use as your exhaust and use your 5" as an intake. especially if you are going control them with a variac, and you will want to control them. the power of these fans rises exponentially, so a 4" fan running on the same variac as the 6" will have trouble puffing in enough air to not cause too much stress on the tent from negative pressure when you crank it up full, as i've had to do to help sort out really high RH. even with my 5" blowing in the negative pressure was nigh on turning the tent inside out. but yeah a 6 out and 5 in will handle the heat no problems.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Amsterbud said:

i do not know how to assemble my own light kit nor do i have the knowledge or balls to deal with electrics.

We do free assembly if its under 70cm x 70cm. Just leave a note at the checkout and it will turn up plug and play. 

3 people like this

4 hours ago, diyleduk said:

We do free assembly if its under 70cm x 70cm. Just leave a note at the checkout and it will turn up plug and play. 

Hi mate I’ve checked out your site and most of your lights were out of stock . I have been looking at buying a HLG 550 R-spec. It costs £575 its the only pre made qb kit I could find online for a 4x4 tent. 

I need a light light like I said that will cover my 4x4 and that I can use for both veg and flower my budget is £600. What can you do for me mate 

Hi guys n gals , 

i have a 4x4 im currently using budget led lights as i couldnt control temps with hps during the hot summer . But im looking to upgrade my setup . I have a £600 budget and im very interested in getting a quantum board but im not too knowledgeable on them .  Im stuck between getting the SCOPE 440 SAMSUNG LED SRTIP LIGHT KIT from diyleduk. Or getting the HLG 550w quantum board r spec. 

Doss anyone know which one of the two will be better too see me through veg and flower ? 

No need to keep starting new threads on the same subject mate. Just add to this thread if its about your lighting

Thanks

Owd

1 person likes this

@diyleduk 

Hello mate, really hoping you can help me and i feel cheeky for asking but as the saying goes "the worst can only be a no".

So here goes- im lookimg at building my own f strip light for a 6ft by 4ft space/canopy. I like the idea of the 4ft strips but have no idea of part number or how many to span the 6ft and also the driver requirements.

If you could help me on this i would happily send you a case of your favoyrite beer haha this is literally driving me insane

@Dankasaurus Everything you need to know is in here. tag me if you need a hand.

2 people like this