Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Arshlay

To flush or not to flush.

Hi Im currently at the end of week 5 of flower with mostly cloudy trichromes (I think lol) the odd one is Amber. Would feeding with water from now until the end be of benefit as Ive read even with organic nutes flushing does help with a better taste and smoke in the end product. Thanks 

1 person likes this

Hi @Arshlay i use mainly oganic nutes but do still give plain water at the last week of flowering. you say they are only 5 weeks in and trichs cloudy already? Never heard of a plant finishing so quickly :huh: Any pics?

All the best.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There's 2 main camps, when it comes to flushing....

1. Those that want to 'wash' out any stored nutrient in the plant for a cleaner smoke.

2. Those who believe that flushing deprives the plant of crucial nurients at a crucial time

I fall in between. I want a cleaner end product, but I noticed I was getting a a few mouldy buds if I flushed a whole week. I reckon all that flushing raised the humidity drastically, causing the mould.

So I flush for 3-4 days copiously, using EC 0 rainwater with AN's Flawless Finish and pH adjusted, until the run off EC is reliably low (like EC 0.2 to 0.3), then a day of no water to dry out a bit (preferably in the dark for extra trichs), then chop.

5 weeks though, are you sure she's done?

Edited by teehee
1 person likes this

Me saying 5 weeks is from when I noticed the buds starting to form, it may be longer than that. Here's some pics :bong:large.IMG_20190824_190540.jpglarge.IMG_20190822_201004.jpgI probably will go another week with it maybe more. I'm looking for 50%Amber trichromes. large.IMG_20190821_184920.jpg

1 person likes this

To flush or not? Do as you like, it won't make any difference. This is an abstract from a Masters thesis:

Irrigation Management Strategies for Medical Cannabis in Controlled Environments

Abstract

Medical cannabis production is a new industry in Canada and represents a challenge for the production of a repeatable and standardized product for medical use. A reliable and reproducible environmental control strategy can contribute significantly to meeting this challenge. Irrigation management and control of plant water status is one of the key environmental control elements. To assess the effects of various irrigation management strategies this study deployed in situ stem psychrometers to measure the water status of plants. As a routine feedback device for irrigation control these devices are not ideal for large-scale production so correlation with the key environment variable representing the aerial demand for moisture (vapour pressure deficit) was assessed. By establishing a relationship between cumulative water potential (cWP) and cumulative vapour pressure deficit (cVPD) an irrigation management strategy that predicted plant water status based on measurements of cVPD could be employed. Three treatments; control (irrigation events every 1-2 days), mild-stress (irrigation events every 2 days), and moderate-stress (irrigation events every 3 days) were tested. The effects of flushing were also investigated to determine whether it had the intended effect of reducing nutrient concentrations within the dried bud. Through the use of psychrometers, water status (cWP) thresholds were correlated with humidity (cVPD) thresholds and reduced irrigation frequency resulting in water use reductions up to 45.7% which had negligible impacts on yield and cannabinoid profile. Flushing was found to be ineffective in removing any significant amount of nutrient from the bud.  https://atrium.lib.uoguelph.ca/xmlui/handle/10214/12125

2 people like this

@catweazle1 I think they are talking about reducing the water over a certain amount of time to see if the moisture coud reduce in the buds,

34 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

Three treatments; control (irrigation events every 1-2 days), mild-stress (irrigation events every 2 days), and moderate-stress (irrigation events every 3 days) were tested.

They found this had no detrimental effect on the end produce.

35 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

reduced irrigation frequency resulting in water use reductions up to 45.7% which had negligible impacts on yield and cannabinoid profile.

We are just talking about giving them plain water fo the last week or so but still watering at the same frequency, from what i've read there is no need to when using organic nutrients. I still do though, suppose it does not have any effect but gives me peace of mind.

Also it depends on your method of growing, Hydro growers using non organic do need to flush or are you saying there is no no need for them to?

All the best.

3 people like this

Nowhere near ready mate

Owd

4 people like this

Just now, Amnesia said:

@catweazle1 I think they are talking about reducing the water over a certain amount of time to see if the moisture coud reduce in the buds,

They found this had no detrimental effect on the end produce.

We are just talking about giving them plain water fo the last week or so but still watering at the same frequency, from what i've read there is no need to when using organic nutrients. I still do though, suppose it does not have any effect but gives me peace of mind.

Also it depends on your method of growing, Hydro growers using non organic do need to flush or are you saying there is no no need for them to?

All the best.

Yes, it makes no difference ether way. I think, ideally you want to be lowering the nutes gradually enough that you can see the leaves yellowing from cannibalising towards the end. Proper curing should sort out any chemicals left.

1 person likes this

I did an experiment and I flushed the royal bluematic and didnt flush the blackberry and both are pretty smooth. I have a sensitive throat. Most makes me cough to some degree it made me only cough 1 time in 3 and was smooth and cool on both of them

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, Owderb said:

Nowhere near ready mate

Owd

How long would you say? 2 week? Cheers 

At least 2 weeks, maybe 3

Owd

1 person likes this

On 25/08/2019 at 4:01 PM, catweazle1 said:

To flush or not? Do as you like, it won't make any difference. This is an abstract from a Masters thesis:

So flushing does fuck all? What's the point in doing it then? To stop the addition of more nutes just? Then that would lead me to believe that those who would reduce light wattage near end of grow would be doing themselves wrong, my way of thinking now to help use up nutes when flushing would be more photosynthesis provided by not reducing lights wattage towards end.... phew brain fart over. 

1 person likes this