Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

EatonMess

First Nano Build

33 posts in this topic

Hello all:)

Lurking for a couple of weeks but thought I'd be as well signing up. Hope everyone is doing good.

Messed about with a couple autos in my younger days (literally two grows) - a very primitive setup with poor results. Now I'm planning a bit more fun; after a good bit of reading; but albeit on a nano level! Should I enjoy the hobby, might stick at it and create something more substantial... The build will be in a shed, out of sight and out of mind. So the plans are as follows:

PC case - 520 L x 200 W x 540 H
100W LED - Would be interested to know if this will be useless and/or what everyone would recommend https://tinyurl.com/y6j3tn2j
240V 80mm 20CFM axial chassis fan with 25mm DIY carbon filter (with a pessimistic 50% CFM reduction, this works out at almost 5 air changes per minute)
Passive air intake with black louvre style light baffle
12V 80mm internal circulation fan
60W anti-condensation heater (gets pretty cold with me)
Asymmetrical cycle timer (for 18/6 likely)
Inkbird controller for heater
Foil bubble insulation (chose this over mylar for any potential insulation gain)
4L pots (will be able to fit two of these inside, leaving 300mm of vertical height)
PM Plus Soil
BioBizz Bloom

Also already own a pH meter and solutions to lower pH. Now just a case (no pun intended) of ordering the parts and assembling, will hold off for suggestions first though.

Again I'd just like to say this is for fun rather than yield. It's more about the process than the end result. After lurking over some of the noodle comp entries I'm pretty confident I should manage fine on this nano scale.

Edited by EatonMess
Alter Title
2 people like this

It's a bold plan but I like it - can't offer any advice on the light but @diyleduk might be able to offer more insight if you're lucky..

All the best and keep us posted :yep:

1 person likes this

Bold indeed, just looking at my PC case now wondering how it's possible. Tight enough on space in my tent :eek: But good on you if it's a real viable option. Interested to follow this, please post some pictures when you can. Very best of luck :yep:

1 person likes this

Please don't buy that light. For £6.59 it has to be a pile of rubbish. 

1 person likes this

Edited by ison
doubled up

don't know if this is any use to you.

https://www.spacebuckets.com/template/

you might be able to get a few ideas from that. and i'd imagine there is a sub or two on reddit that might have some relevent info.

edit... just had a thought about T5s.

you can get the 6500k ones for vegging, you can get them really fucking close to plants, so that might help. and you can get 2700k ones for flower.

here...

https://growace.com/blog/your-top-5-t5-fluorescent-growing-questions-answered/#targetText=For the vegging stage of,light that stimulates flower growth.

make your own T5 fixture

http://www.t5fixtures.com/how-to-make-diy-t5-grow-light-fixture/

Edited by ison
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, ROCKSTEADY6 said:

Please don't buy that light. For £6.59 it has to be a pile of rubbish. 

O/P going for the deluxe version £8.49 :eek: CRAZY ! 

Two minds about this. Warned against my choice of lights, they're cheap imported Chinese probably rubbish and I've had nothing but high quality results. And this is only a tiny grow, really interested to watch progress. If ends badly always swap in some small T5 lights later on.

58 minutes ago, ison said:

don't know if this is any use to you.

https://www.spacebuckets.com/template/

Like these, neat idea. Extend the height mid grow by adding additional buckets, huge advantage. Great for budget grow, discrete also :yep:

1 person likes this

Yup, managed to find a Youtube video of that really expensive LED fitting and it's a fire hazard for sure!

T5 solution is definitely on the cards. There are T5 LEDs which are appealing, but little reviews on them. Also not quite sure how many Watts I'd need... Some sort of E27 CFL fitting horizontally mounted at the top of the case is still on the cards. But, I would really like to utilise LED in this build, and something I could mount to the top of the case and not have to adjust the height of the plant would be ideal.

Someone has ran 90W UFO lamps in the very case I'm going to use which is interesting. He used two of them! I'm sure one would be plenty though. The trouble is trying to find a good brand of UFO light that doesn't cost the earth. So many mixed reviews...

Thanks for all the replies guys! Really appreciate your insight and feedback. Cheers!

Edited by EatonMess
1 person likes this

Okay guys, so here's where we are in terms of lighting...

Case is too narrow for a UFO LED fitting. Sadly that's out of the question; unless they exist at < 7".

Any thoughts on a 200W full spectrum COB? https://tinyurl.com/y2w9uhay

I have two ceramic E27 lamp holders handy, so if any one could suggest two CFLs/LEDs I'd very much appreciate it:cowboy:

Here’s one I made over last winter, didn’t end up using it but the UFO went in easy, I picked up the case with some internals (motherboard, psu and ram still in place). 

It was around 22cm case width iirc and the ufo just went in. 

One things for sure, they take a shocking amount of time to disassemble but the end result was cool. 

Lined with cardboard then covered in Mylar.

Made a louvered vent for the passive intake and used a usb pc fan behind some activated carbon foam as a mini filter. 

Then decided I didn’t need it and sold at a good price on everyone’s fav auction site. 

Some pics below might give you some inspiration:

large.B383EB0A-63BB-4C34-82B9-7E8820F8380C.jpeglarge.A59E41B5-02B3-4A9A-AC2C-DF66946C64D9.jpeglarge.ED2FC7AA-3858-43B1-B2D0-717BE0DFC75E.jpeglarge.9321644D-2C4B-4C29-9438-5E4D405BE7DC.jpeg

Reason I opted for this case was it’s made of aluminium, has a door which has a padlock tab and it just looks downright cool still, should’ve mounted exhaust fan up top but I was being lazy/didn’t wanna cut into the case and make it look less stealth. 

Was a fun project that I plan on doing again just for fun!

18 minutes ago, GrandaddyJabba said:

Reason I opted for this case was it’s made of aluminium, has a door which has a padlock tab and it just looks downright cool still, should’ve mounted exhaust fan up top but I was being lazy/didn’t wanna cut into the case and make it look less stealth. 

Was a fun project that I plan on doing again just for fun!

it does look cool mate, i wonder if there's room in the middle of one of those cylindrical macs to grow a small auto?...

you wouldn't happen to have the details on how to make that carbon filter knocking about would you? i'm trying to cobble together a drying box is all.

Edited by ison
add a word.
1 person likes this

Looks great @GrandaddyJabba!

Width of the case is 205mm (8") so I think I could get a UFO light in there. What brand did you opt for? Not wanting to buy shite...

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, EatonMess said:

Looks great @GrandaddyJabba!

Width of the case is 205mm (8") so I think I could get a UFO light in there. What brand did you opt for? Not wanting to buy shite...

I’m not gunna lie it was a 20 quid eBay job just for fun but I usually use a mars hydro led for bigger space

1 hour ago, ison said:

it does look cool mate, i wonder if there's room in the middle of one of those cylindrical macs to grow a small auto?...

you wouldn't happen to have the details on how to make that carbon filter knocking about would you? i'm trying to cobble together a drying box is all.

Buy some activated charcoal from the range or somewhere similar for aquarium filters , it’s a few quid then make a wooden box with tights over it to stop the granules falling out then exhaust through it :skin_up: