Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mystic_roots

General Auto questions

I’ve been reading up on growing autos and looking at grow diaries (including Serpents guide) and I have a few questions that keep going around my head. 

Ive got 3 blue kush seeds arriving from dinafem and I’m going to pop 2 into water that’ll be in the boiler cupboard as I know they like it warm. My first concern is root temperatures when they go in my tent. I will have an oil radiator in there to keep the temps up at night but it can still drop to 16.5. Is that too low and if so what would you suggest to prevent lockout? I did see that @JJJ used bubble wrap. 

Do you leave autos on a light schedule of 20/4 or maybe 18/6 for their entire life or do you switch to 12/12 when they start flowering?

last question, for now, do you add nutes around the 3 week mark? I know they don’t like a lot of nutrients but I’d be adding biobizz grow, then some bloom when they start flowering along with some calmag to try and prevent any deficiencies. 

:hippy:

I used bubble wrap because I was using root-pruning pots.  The air tends to flow right through those things. In a standard pot I doubt the insulation would make a great deal of difference.  Best to keep the roots at around 21/22C if possible which can be achieved by use of a heat mat/oil rad/soil-warming cables etc.

Lights on 18/6  /  20/4  /  24/0 from beginning to end.  No need for an extended dark period with autos, so yes, you can peek at all hours.

You shouldn't need to feed for at least 3 weeks in a good compost but just keep an eye on the look of the plant.  Any yellowing around the lower parts of the plant means time to start feeding.  

It's important to give your autos a good start to life.  Get this part right and you'll be amazed with the rate at which these go from tiny beans to fully-flowering plants...:thumsup:

6 people like this

7 minutes ago, mystic_roots said:

I’ve been reading up on growing autos and looking at grow diaries (including Serpents guide) and I have a few questions that keep going around my head. 

Ive got 3 blue kush seeds arriving from dinafem and I’m going to pop 2 into water that’ll be in the boiler cupboard as I know they like it warm. My first concern is root temperatures when they go in my tent. I will have an oil radiator in there to keep the temps up at night but it can still drop to 16.5. Is that too low and if so what would you suggest to prevent lockout? I did see that @JJJ used bubble wrap. 

Do you leave autos on a light schedule of 20/4 or maybe 18/6 for their entire life or do you switch to 12/12 when they start flowering?

last question, for now, do you add nutes around the 3 week mark? I know they don’t like a lot of nutrients but I’d be adding biobizz grow, then some bloom when they start flowering along with some calmag to try and prevent any deficiencies. 

:hippy:

@blackpoolbouncer his diaries will answer all you need to know

4 people like this

Cheers chaps

Oil rad should work then, I hope. It sits in front of the only air intake but maybe I’ll have to move it closer to the pots.

just waiting on Mr Postman now :yep:

Just leave the lights on 24/0. Pending what light your using of course. 

1 person likes this

54 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Just leave the lights on 24/0. Pending what light your using of course. 

Ah yes, I have a 600w LED so while I have the benefits of not using as much electricity it doesn’t give out much heat but coupled with the oil rad it should keep temps up. Have to turn the thermostat up on the heater go gain those extra 3.5 degrees lol

Are you sure about the heat? For example my 80 x 80 x 160cm tent has a 40w Tube Heater and the scope 150w LED. I aim my circulation fan from the above on the heatsinks and this keeps my tent in perfect temps. The Oil rad will use a lot of electricity wouldn't it?

1 person likes this

I’d have to check what the oil heater draws in terms of power, but it does have a built in thermostat so won’t be on all the time. 

Good point about using a fan above the LED, never really thought of that. I’ll certainly give that a shot and hopefully it won’t get too nippy at night time :yep: