Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Poisonata

Oversized carbon filters

Noticed after reading many diaries that quite a few members seem to adopt oversized carbon filters relative to extraction fan/ducting diameter. Assuming for example a 5" fan/ducting can handle a 6" carbon filter and offers additional air scrubbing capacity should extraction be turned to maximum. Anyone who uses such a set up are there reducer coupler readily available to connect filter to smaller diameter duct or is it a do it yourself bodge job with duct tape. Just thinking ahead for my 5" extraction if 6" carbon filter might be a plan; currently growing specifically low odour strains but potentially like to ramp up to something stinkier after few grows. Possibly unnecessary but I'd rather have the capacity and not need it than risk venting air that still has a whiff of the good stuff about it :) 

Edited by Poisonata
1 person likes this

You can buy reducers mate in all sizes for about £3-4 i think

4 people like this

Extraction works better when it runs slower; a larger filter allows a smaller fan to scrub more air when moving at a lower speed, as you pass the air through a larger surface of charcoal.

Think that's about right

5 people like this

Thanks to you both :) sealed the deal really when it's due up for renewal. Cheers :yep:

2 people like this

You can make your own reducers, a very basic one, by using a plastic round plantpot. Its a stopgap I guess.

But for a couple of quid more you have a nice metal or aluminium one that will last a lifetime.

Starting off you just want to get a few grows under the belt usually at a budget. As you evolve so will the equipment. The air movement and extraction is extremely important. Its often something we overlook.

A good filter is a lifesaver. You cannot skip on that one and there are too many really poor filters being bundled out there with tents.

2 people like this

@MyDisplayName2000100% agreement with you, aware from start not skimping on extraction was paramount. Glad heeded this as only now do I fully realise the importance of it when comes to promotion plant growth / significant reduction disease chance. Current filter isn't cheap not by a long stretch, certainly wasn't interested in grow kits cheap fans included put me off for starters. Only two speed settings, highest one causes the fan to screech like a banshee :thumbdown: Just thinking ahead ready in event after a couple grows progressing to stinkier variety. Being pressed by my wife to grow classic 'Blue Cheese' strain, her all time favourite....... but it'll stink......yes but it's my favourite <does the wide eyed sultry look>.....feel it's on the cards few grows from now :unsure: as I'm weak to her charms :angry:

Edited by Poisonata
2 people like this

Get a cheap fan and filter for your room, then when you open the doors it should scrub what leaks out. I run that or I would never be able to take plants out to photograph. We even use it when smoking.

Toke...

1 person likes this

@Poisonata

Extraction is something that will run for 5 years plus if you buy good equipment. Might as well think of it as the foundation of the grow itself.

When filters fail it can happen overnight and when that happens, someone is taking your door off. Quality filters, they will have a gradual decline and are best replaced every three to five year depending on your usage.

My first grow was using a curtain as a basic screen, a 400W halide and not even an oscillating fan. Had an open window for air but nothing else.

As awful as the conditions were, it bought about 3.5 oz of good resiny buds and lots of sticky leaf which I made hash from. This was before the internet so all I had was High Times which was good for the time but mostly American.

Later, the same 400W light would bring me 3-4 times the yield when I invested in decent extraction equipment. The exchange of air alone was all the plants needed to reach their full potential. At first I used passive intake with light trap boxes for the intakes. Before tents we had to get out the 2 by 2 wood and make a basic box shape with home made flimsy doors.

ps, glad my missus is not a toker. My mates wife also tells him what to grow, always some 14-16 weeker Haze because she had some Super Silver Haze in 1992 in Amsterdam. :) I had it also but NEVER seen the original again. Lovely smoke but too many phenotypes and at 16 weeks you have to make sure the stash box will see you through until early snips at 12 weeks.

Good luck with the grow.

3 people like this

57 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Get a cheap fan and filter for your room, then when you open the doors it should scrub what leaks out. I run that or I would never be able to take plants out to photograph. We even use it when smoking.

Toke...

That's an idea, little hobby 4" filter & nasty inline fan. May have to do this if move away from low odour strains :) thank you

27 minutes ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

Lovely smoke but too many phenotypes

Just not interested in latest weed fad, Cali weed, stardawg, mint choc chip, cookies costs loads more, pay for name and wife can't tell the difference. Prefers old school weeds, Northern Lights, Psychosis, Sour Diesel that sort of thing. Seem easier to grow (so I've read) and seeds super cheap. Thanks for what you took the time to write, found it interesting. Learn something new every day here, probably why like forums so much :) 

2 people like this