Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Socksnsandals

Badgers

A pest which doesn't need a photo.  Another sign of Autumn coming in.  Last year badgers dug up some of my plants.  I don't think they are stoner badgers but in what was very hard dry ground they found the tilled, composted, watered soil softer and likely to contain worms and grubs.  Interestingly they like yew berries, sucking them up off the grass (the red bits are not toxic though the seeds and leaves are very posionous, containing a cardiotoxic poison and also a useful substance used in chemotherapy - taxols / taxane - and the badger latrines are full of the seeds).  Using an IR camera I discovered that they can climb 5' rough stone walls with ease. Apart from digging up plants they raise dozens of divots of grass searching for grubs.  Also flip over hedgehogs and open them, eating the soft bits and demolished and ate a bumblebee nest.  Will take guinea pigs etc given the chance.  Horrid.  Spent much of the day installing a couple of outside sockets and an electric fence which gives a satisfying zap if you are not wearing highly insulating shoes (the badgers don't, and have two more feet to earth them than we do, so I hope it will work).  

You need @*DJ*

1 person likes this

Did you use FBB as an amendment? :unsure:   If so, they were probably looking for the source of the smell.  Please leave Badgers alone, they have enough shit to deal with already  without your electric fences. lol     

2 people like this

50 minutes ago, ratdog said:

You need @*DJ*

You can fook off, im not doing that again, :nono: but il pass on some helpful advice, allways come at ya rouge badger from behind, theres far less sharp bits.;)

DJ...

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, *DJ* said:

rouge badger

I prefer the black and white ones. lol   

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Saddam said:

I prefer those with fewer sharp bits as well.

Bio ;)

I get badgers passing through my garden sometimes, thankfully they leave the veg plot alone but they dig the grass looking for grubs.  They always shit in the same area.  Someone told me to piss where the badgers shit as they don't like it, so that's what I try to do every week.  I'm not sure if it works or not, they don't seem to come round so much but that could be for any number of reasons.  

2 hours ago, Saddam said:

i like a wet 1. lol

Id swerve the wet ones, they stink, and once that stink gets on anything, it dont come off lol 

DJ....

My dog keeps rolling in their shite, but what's even worse is he likes to roll in wet dog shite, he did it again this morning, he's a filthy disgusting creature, I dunked the horrible thing in the river, only to be sprayed with water and probable dog shit. :puke:

2 people like this

lol 

On 11/08/2019 at 11:00 PM, Herbsman said:

I get badgers passing through my garden sometimes, thankfully they leave the veg plot alone but they dig the grass looking for grubs.  They always shit in the same area.  Someone told me to piss where the badgers shit as they don't like it, so that's what I try to do every week.  I'm not sure if it works or not, they don't seem to come round so much but that could be for any number of reasons.  

My experience is that they only come in Autumn and Spring - for yew berries in the autumn and for grubs in the lawn +/- general diggings of compost, plants, rotten tree root in both seasons so your alpha male pee may be working or it may be that they are going somewhere else atm.  Standalone IR camera ("wildlife camera" online or I got mine in the Man Bait central aisle in Lidl amongst the welding masks, hi rise lavatory seats.. someone must buy them)..) showed up to two at a time.  Cats, foxes, badgers if around at the same time all seem to pretend that they haven't noticed each other and just go about their business.  Fox on video last night - clearly had sampled the fence and did not want to again!  He could have jumped it as it is not high enough for foxes but he went to some effort to jump the bush next to it to avoid it.  I don't worry about foxes as apart from crapping in the garden and occasionally bringing in dog toys or takeaway bags - from which I deduced that they, like whoever bought it that night, found the deep fried onion rings a step too far, they do not do anything, specifically do not dig up my plants.  Its the destructive badgers I want to deter.  Never used to be a problem but, like gulls their numbers have exploded in recent years. 

PS Camera would be interesting for you guerrilla gardeners, not only to see what is eating your plants but also, suitably concealed, to see if the most dangerous pest (H. sapiens) is around. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Socksnsandals said:

Never used to be a problem but, like gulls their numbers have exploded in recent years. 

well you are very lucky and against the norm.. the badger cull got around 30,000 last year.. nearly 70,000 since it began...