Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Azzak

fan noise

Does anyone know how to lower the noise of the wooshing sound of air being sucked in from outside i can only run my intake at half speed because if  i run it full speed the noise of the air being sucked in is too loud and i have only got a small back garden too would moving the fan further away from the intake hole help ? 

Why are you intaking from outside? Will seriously fuck you up in winter as well as all the nasties that you'll be potentially bringing in from outside.

2 people like this

ive always thought bringing fresh air in was better than just recirculating stale air ? i use bug covers over my ducting to prevent pests getting in ive never really had in issue with bugs in all the years ive pulling air from outside.  

Yeah I also take directly from outside. I've got a filter box before my Fan. 

1 person likes this

does the filter box make much difference to the sucking noise ? 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Azzak said:

ive always thought bringing fresh air in was better than just recirculating stale air ? i use bug covers over my ducting to prevent pests getting in ive never really had in issue with bugs in all the years ive pulling air from outside.  

you only circulate the air if your intake and outtake are from the same room, better to pull air in from the room and extract outside imo.

especially during winter..

Edited by craigfjyp
5 people like this

Posted (edited)

my intake and extraction are both in the same room in winter at night i turn intake off and use a oil filled heater with a thermostat set to 65f 

Edited by Azzak

The whooshing noise is caused when the aperture is too small for air draw demands made on it. Any vent (louvre) cover will exacerbate this. Considered acoustic ducting and/or inline duct muffler if increasing the external aperture isn't an option. If your pulling air from outside a filter box is a necessity, asking for trouble not using one. Providing your venting exhaust externally no requirement to draw air from outside also as previous posters mentioned.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

cheers for the reply's my intake is 6" and i have a 6" vent it pulls from my extraction is 8" and vented in a different room and then extracted out with a smaller fan as the noise of the 8" extraction would have been silly ha it works as i have not had many issues with smells over the years im actually starting to think its the noise of the fan coming back through the ducting i have a muffler on but its not really helped im thinking a silenced fan might solve the issue i changed to a 4" intake and it worked i could hardly hear it but there wasn't enough air to keep the room at a sensible temp.

if i can work out to post a pic i will put some up     

Edited by Azzak
1 person likes this

On 11/08/2019 at 0:17 PM, Azzak said:

if i can work out to post a pic i will put some up     

here you go mate.

1 person likes this

cheers dude its the file size that's the issue not sure what program to use to reduce it 

19 minutes ago, Azzak said:

cheers dude its the file size that's the issue not sure what program to use to reduce it 

get a screengrab of the image, save it and upload that. that's what i've been doing at any rate.

1 person likes this

if your using a windows pc, you can edit the pic & reduce the size in MS paint, very easy to do.