Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lemonfizzypop

Advice please, should I repot?

This is my 1st grow and I have an autoflower currently vegging at day 25 in a 6L pot.  Her roots are showing at the bottom. 

Would it be best to repot even though I think there is still soil in there?  It's very late to be thinking about repotting at this stage but I am tempted to take a chance if it means that she grows better.

I wouldn't really. Autos are not fond of being repotted. The issue you will have is that if you do re pot and the plant starts flowering which it will very soon, you will end up with watering issues. The water will sit at the bottom of the pot in the soil and eventually you will starve the roots of oxygen and you will have problems. Leave it in the 6ltr and learn from this for next time. Now if you were growing photos then fine.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, Larry Badgeley said:

I wouldn't really. Autos are not fond of being repotted. The issue you will have is that if you do re pot and the plant starts flowering which it will very soon, you will end up with watering issues. The water will sit at the bottom of the pot in the soil and eventually you will starve the roots of oxygen and you will have problems. Leave it in the 6ltr and learn from this for next time. Now if you were growing photos then fine.

Thank you :yinyang:

Do you think if I don't repot I might have a more difficult job with judging nutrients and watering? Ideally the option that would best help my 1st attempt would be the preferable.

Should I start to think about starting a new auto?

10 hours ago, lemonfizzypop said:

Thank you :yinyang:

Do you think if I don't repot I might have a more difficult job with judging nutrients and watering? Ideally the option that would best help my 1st attempt would be the preferable.

Should I start to think about starting a new auto?

Watering will be self explanatory. Pick the pot up and when it feels light water it. Let the water run off and don't let the pot stand in water. The plant will tell you when it needs nutes. I have 4 photo's just gone into flowering. They are in 3.5ltr pots and are rootbound. They drink 500ml every other day like clockwork. Even if they wilt slightly they are back up and praying to the light in 30 minutes or so. 

What light regime have you got you plant under?

1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Watering will be self explanatory. Pick the pot up and when it feels light water it. Let the water run off and don't let the pot stand in water. The plant will tell you when it needs nutes. I have 4 photo's just gone into flowering. They are in 3.5ltr pots and are rootbound. They drink 500ml every other day like clockwork. Even if they wilt slightly they are back up and praying to the light in 30 minutes or so. 

What light regime have you got you plant under?

Good morning

Thank you.  She's on 18/6 which I think is good because she grows a lot during the dark period.  CFL 200w but changing to led next time.

I am trying to follow a wet/dry cycle waiting until the pot is 80% dry and watering slowly until a little run off.  I then leave her to absorb for about half an hour then dry the bottom of the pot before returning to the light.  The same as yours, she wilts then gets her game on, it's really nice to observe.

Today I lifted her, 5 days since her 1st drink and she didn't seem particularly light but absorbed about 2L so I am not really confident with judging by weight.  I think she might be ready for a little grow feed so I have to be super careful with this too.  She looks quite good and small and bushy though :yinyang:

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, lemonfizzypop said:

Good morning

Thank you.  She's on 18/6 which I think is good because she grows a lot during the dark period.  CFL 200w but changing to led next time.

I am trying to follow a wet/dry cycle waiting until the pot is 80% dry and watering slowly until a little run off.  I then leave her to absorb for about half an hour then dry the bottom of the pot before returning to the light.  The same as yours, she wilts then gets her game on, it's really nice to observe.

Today I lifted her, 5 days since her 1st drink and she didn't seem particularly light but absorbed about 2L so I am not really confident with judging by weight.  I think she might be ready for a little grow feed so I have to be super careful with this too.  She looks quite good and small and bushy though :yinyang:

Try and up load a picture. 2ltrs seems a lot to me but then again you are using a CFL so it won't be that hot in there and it is every 5 days or so. Be careful not to overwater. It's easy done

Get that light up to 24/7. Autos can take that amount and it will help in the flowering stage. If you are to get an LED then check out our site sponsor @diyleduk. I use his scope 150 and it's fantastic. I have a diary in the grow diary section. 

Edited by Larry Badgeley
1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Larry Badgeley said:

Try and up load a picture. 2ltrs seems a lot to me but then again you are using a CFL so it won't be that hot in there and it is every 5 days or so. Be careful not to overwater. It's easy done

Get that light up to 24/7. Autos can take that amount and it will help in the flowering stage. If you are to get an LED then check out our site sponsor @diyleduk. I use his scope 150 and it's fantastic. I have a diary in the grow diary section. "Dinafem scope 150 grow"

I will have a read through your diary thanks for sharing. Advice taken on looking at diyleduk too.

I am thinking that maybe 2L every 5 days might be a rough starter point to follow until I'm better at judging the weight.  I am trying hard not to overwater and don't think I have today even though the pot still felt heavy, it's so simple but quite difficult.  My next feed I'm going to add a little bit of grow nute.

Today's photos below.  The roots were yesterday's and seem to want to go back in the pot today after her watering this morning so that must be a good thing.  There are also several bits under the big leaves that I'm trying to get to the light.

I read loads that said it was best to have a short dark period and that it doesn't affect yield.  I am not sure whether most of her growth happens overnight, I must take a photo tonight just to see.  But yes I'm thinking that maybe 24 hours would either be good or bad dependent on the fact she's root bound now and I'm also on cfl.

large.day25a.jpg

large.day26a.jpg

large.day26.jpg

large.day26b.jpg

1 person likes this

Lovely compact plant under that cfl.  If you're going to go down the LED route why not do it sooner rather than later?  The extra weed the LED will give you in flower compared to that cfl will pay for the light in what you don't have to spend on getting high!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

Lovely compact plant under that cfl.  If you're going to go down the LED route why not do it sooner rather than later?  The extra weed the LED will give you in flower compared to that cfl will pay for the light in what you don't have to spend on getting high!

Hi FatBoy77 :yinyang:

Thank you she would look taller and also grow a bit wider but is planted too deep in the pot.  Next time I'll fix it.

That would be lovely with the light but I am just trying to see if I can get to the finish line this time with a reasonable plant producing a reasonable quality of buds and then I'll get an led.  

That's my point dude, the bud you get from cfl (both quantity & quality) may put you off when you've done such a good job so far.  All the best with it dude.

1 person likes this