Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MicGrow

Setting up new basement. Controlling heat, advice please.

Hi everyone. I hope you lot are doing well. 
It's been a while, I've been having fun and am still always learning. 

Recently I've been setting up a basement and I could do with a little help please.

240 x 240 tent on raised plywood floor.

4 x 600w digital/ dimmable full spectrum lights in euro reflectors

10" RVK extraction with 2 meters of curved duct connected to 5 meters of straight duct straight to outside.

Pro size 10" carbon filter

8" RVK active intake to tent with 3 meters of curved duct pulling air from under the suspended floor of the house. (The house has air bricks and loose fitting floorboards.)

Passive vent's of the tent, open to the basement room.

The basement's been a steady 16 degrees for the past few months but recently the lights off temperature is more like 20 degrees. Has it warmed up by constantly pulling warmer summer air through with the ventilation equipment? The ventilation has been running for about a month prior to all the final kit being installed so maybe it's just taken a long time for the basement to warm up?

There are no plants in there yet, I want to get it nailed down first.

Humidity sits around 45 - 55 with the lights on and raises to nearer 60 - 65 with the lights off. 

With the lights on it gets to 31/32 degrees 

With the lights dimmed to 400w each it gets to 27/28 degrees

Not only are these figures too high but I'm hoping to use a fan speed controller to slow the fans down to reduce the noise. 

I'm wondering if I need to get the intake air from somewhere else? I guess I just need more cool, fresh air from somewhere right?
I could duct through the basement ceiling/ floor of the room above and bring air down like that but again, I'm a bit concerned about noise. 

So far a lot of effort's been put into soundprooffing the ceiling of the basement and it's worked very well. 
Acoustic rock wool was packed between the joists and boarded over with dense acoustic plasterboards, joined with tape and filler then painted with silk emulsion. 

It's looking pretty smart. 

There's a nice countertop with sink and drainer.

A radiator on the house central heating if ever it's needed!?

Good ceiling lighting.

Shelves, storage, cupboards.

All the electrical equipment is mounted onto a plasterboard stud wall high up off the floor with good cable management and an automatic fire extinguisher. 

I work on the idea that the main focus should be on the removal of heat generated by the bulbs.  Max out your extraction as much as you can is my advice.  Have two extraction systems ;)

Air will always find its way in and give great negative pressure.

I could run both my bulbs at 600w but my 8" cant clear the heat out so I run at 400w during the summer.  No getting around hot summers, have to be on 12/12 during these months, not an ideal time to start an indoor grow, I have mine in the garden during the daytime as they are so small and at night I move them in under a single 125w light.  

Best of luck !  

I would also upgrade the extraction. I used a 8 and 6 inch rvk out   , both extracting my 2.4 square tent , one on constant high power the other off a controller, with a 5 inch and passive intakes.

kept temps around 26 degrees. 

it sounds like you need more extraction than a 10 incher, but I reckion the 10 inch would do ok in winter months, but summer temps are a nightmare. 

Perhaps your being a little ambitious on the lighting side? If you aim to turn the fans down then perhaps look at running just 2 lamps along the centre line of that space. I'd still be expecting 50 ounces .

1 hour ago, monkeypig said:

Perhaps your being a little ambitious on the lighting side? If you aim to turn the fans down then perhaps look at running just 2 lamps along the centre line of that space. I'd still be expecting 50 ounces .

beat me to it i would also look at knocking one or two f the lamps for now and maybe use them in the winter months ?? Id also consider upgradeing your input as well as the out put fans and mybe a oslating fan on the insde. Just my two pennies worth last year i ran a 600 wt dimable hps in the loft. But my 4 inch rk out couldnt cope it as like a swet box in the bedrooms. Glad im in the greenhouse this year. Maybe the shed come winter if i can get a good  decent mid priced led

Thanks for the input everyone. 

@badbillybob I'm not sure about two extraction systems, that would also mean two carbon filters right!?

I think ultimately you're all correct and I'll end reducing the lighting during the hottest months and plan to flower when it's cooler. I may try and get some more fresh intake air from somewhere and see if I can improve the situation.

@monkeypig 50 oz from 1200 watt of dual spectrum's a bit ambitious!

21 minutes ago, MicGrow said:

50 oz from 1200 watt of dual spectrum's a bit ambitious!

Not at all. With a reasonable veg time  and all that space to train them I would be very disappointed not to reach 50.In a 1.2 square tent with a 600 and minimal veg I would have had to make a monumental fuck up to not hit 20. Add a decent veg time to get bigger plants and the extra room and 50 is not in the least bit ambitious IMHO.

@monkeypig I like your optimism mate! That's over a gram per watt. (1.17 g/p/w to be precise.)

Fingers crossed!

I wouldn't get too caught up with the nonsensical measurement that is gpw. It literally means nothing, but unfortunately people seem to like using it. The only real measure of efficiency IMO would be g/Kwh which would actually give you a meaningful measure. All a watt is is a rate of energy used per unit of time. It's like saying I used 45 mpg on a journey - it means nothing in terms of the energy used, just the rate it's being used. If you said you used 5 gallons on a journey would make sense - just like Kwh per gram  - The total energy put in divided by the yield. 

Would a 14 week grow using a 600w lamp that yielded 600 grams be the same efficiency as an 8 week grow that yields 600 grams? Pretty obvious that it doesn't, and that's before we factor in the energy used to veg

4 people like this

One day I'd love to create a closed loop system. That's my dream.

Split AC, dehumidifier, CO2 system etc. 

That's the answer.... £££££££

If you've rigged up your room and are running lights on with no plants, your temps will drop when there's lots of plant material in there. Where are you reading temps from? 

1 person likes this

On 05/08/2019 at 11:41 AM, FatBoy77 said:

If you've rigged up your room and are running lights on with no plants, your temps will drop when there's lots of plant material in there. Where are you reading temps from? 

That's great to hear. I had wondered if that would be the case.
I'm taking my measurements from under a cardboard shade, raised off the floor.