Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew420

Fan controller

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone got an 8inch fan and filter from rhino so has the plug wired to it. Need a fan controller that wont hum i tried the smscom but hum was terrible. Could someone recommend one that i can plug my fab into rather than wire. Thanks in advance  

I recommend a Variac or the 5 speed voltage stepping controller, no hum or buzzing whatsoever on either, i use both.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Amnesia said:

I recommend a Variac or the 5 speed voltage stepping controller, no hum or buzzing whatsoever on either, i use both.

Thanks can you plug directly into them?

I seen a swiftair that has transformer is there anychance that will be silent?

@Matthew420 Yes the fans plug directly into the variac or stepping controller. Both will need some basic wiring up when you buy them, wire an extension lead and so on which you need to buy seperately.

Here is my 5 speed stepping controller >

gallery_46705_4338_303950.jpg

And a picture of my Variac here, i forgot to mention that Variacs are my favourite as you can fine tune to adjust what you want from 0 to full whack, be aware though certain fans are not designed to run at less than 20% power i think? with the controller you just get the 5 speeds.

medium.variac.jpg.caec70a5fb3227eb1a30c7

I done a full guide on how to wire it up with pictures too a few years ago, i think the 5 speed stepping controller is just over £100 now and you should be able to get a variac for less than £100.

My how to wire up a 5 speed stepping controller is here > How to wire up a 1.5A STR Voltage Stepping Fan Speed Controller by Amnesia.

Hope this helps, All the best.

2 people like this

Sounds like you didnt buy an SMS Hybrid.

SMS Hybrids do not hum, and are pretty dam good.

Also you have a min man max fan setting, which the 5 steps dont.

Do you know what model you bought?

5 people like this

Yeah wasnt the hybrid rookie mistake.

i have seen a swiftair on an auction site says no hum has 5 speed and a transformer . Price is only 30 so thats putting me off could it work?

i'd have to agree with @Alan Johnson sms hybrids don't hum.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, Matthew420 said:

Yeah wasnt the hybrid rookie mistake.

i have seen a swiftair on an auction site says no hum has 5 speed and a transformer . Price is only 30 so thats putting me off could it work?

if your on a budget you should look into the wac lighting and fan fittings or one of these>>>

SILENT-FAN-SPEED-CONTROLLER-VENTILATION-amp-HYDROPONICS

3 people like this

The one i am talking about looks like that says it can do fans upto 200 watts. It the low price thats putting me off might just try it and see how it goes probs end up with a hybrid 

5 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

It the low price thats putting me off might just try it and see how it goes probs end up with a hybrid 

If it seems too good to be true then it probably is. Lots of grow gear manufactures claim this and that but it turns out rubbish, better off the devil you know with stuff that has been tried and tested by growers. The Wac1 i think its called what @craigfjyp mentioned is if i remember also silent, lots of members were using those a few years ago but us growers have a lot more choice now.

All the best.

2 people like this

Hi amnesia how much was that stepped controller? Also what gauge of mains cable will i need ?

thanks

Going to get a five step controller what gauge of cable will i. Need guy for the main cable? And what fuse for the plug? Thanks

32 minutes ago, Matthew420 said:

Going to get a five step controller what gauge of cable will i. Need guy for the main cable? And what fuse for the plug? Thanks

Did you see my guide? it may help. just 2 core is required and a 3a fuse will suffice.

6 hours ago, Amnesia said:

Did you see my guide? it may help. just 2 core is required and a 3a fuse will suffice.

Yeah i saw your guide but i was wanting to know the correct core size for the cable . 2core then followed by a mm size for the internal copper cores.

thanks

Not sure on the size of the cable, just regular household stuff.