Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

takeiteazy

Roots in IWS - Copper Disc or Copper Pipe Insert?

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get something so that roots do not block up an IWS Flood/drain system.

What are better to stop roots blocking the lines? The large copper discs that sit in the bottom of the basket or the smaller straight inserts that just stick in the end?

Has anyone got experience of either?

Thanks

Neither work as claimed best solution is to keep spinning the inner bucket, once a week should suffice.  If your looking to net them then you need to trim back the hanging roots during vegging or i just undo the locking collar pull out pipe and then cut away the offending roots or push them back with your finger. You will need to check the supply pipe is clear of roots by blowing down it or connecting a water supply to it to flush away any blockage or just remove entire pipe. The good news is if you have this problem then your plants are growing well....

2 people like this

I have this system using punched pots and the copper discs work in the middle but the roots still end up coming through the sides I’ve just got some more for the next run and I’ve cut and sewed them so they run up the walls a bit. Hopefully it works

1 person likes this

Cheers.

Why hasn't anyone added another drain or two i to the buckets and just teed it off into the main line? Surely you are reducing the chances of a blockage?

Also if it's just thin matting surely you could cut a hole in it and place it around the feed in/out??

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, Ant-mol said:

I have this system using punched pots and the copper discs work in the middle but the roots still end up coming through the sides I’ve just got some more for the next run and I’ve cut and sewed them so they run up the walls a bit. Hopefully it works

Be careful doing this you'll basically blocking your system, the roots will create a thick root mat which will block the bucket

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, takeiteazy said:

Cheers.

Why hasn't anyone added another drain or two i to the buckets and just teed it off into the main line? Surely you are reducing the chances of a blockage?

Also if it's just thin matting surely you could cut a hole in it and place it around the feed in/out??

Believe it or not roots will grow through the mat and it wont take much to block that intake pipe, as for multiple pipes that has never occurred to me, but I'm guessing you'll just have more pipes to clear, i must be worth a go though (good lateral thinking)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, trichomehi said:

Be careful doing this you'll basically blocking your system, the roots will create a thick root mat which will block the bucket

Good thinking, might just abort that idea and go back to the drawing board.

2 people like this

@trichomehiMight be more to clear but you are ultimately reducing the chances of a blockage and that's the ultimate aim.

I also have toyed with the idea of square outer pots and a larger diameter pipe like they use on the expensive RWDC high flow sytems. 

You can get 32mm diy waste pipe cheap enough.

I need to find some silent fans next, think i will create a new thread tonight. 

Cheers.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, takeiteazy said:

@trichomehiMight be more to clear but you are ultimately reducing the chances of a blockage and that's the ultimate aim.

I also have toyed with the idea of square outer pots and a larger diameter pipe like they use on the expensive RWDC high flow sytems. 

You can get 32mm diy waste pipe cheap enough.

I need to find some silent fans next, think i will create a new thread tonight. 

Cheers.

Larger pipes are probably the answer, from experience i know that redrilling the existing holes in the flood level bucket is difficult so its better to buy a new bucket and start from fresh. Don't understand the thinking behind square outer buckets unless your thinking a bigger gap between inner and outer (you obviously think about problems different to me). 

Edited by trichomehi

7 hours ago, trichomehi said:

Larger pipes are probably the answer, from experience i know that redrilling the existing holes in the flood level bucket is difficult so its better to buy a new bucket and start from fresh. Don't understand the thinking behind square outer buckets unless your thinking a bigger gap between inner and outer (you obviously think about problems different to me). 

You are limited by hole size round pot diameter/curve. If you ever need to enlarge a hole just use a cone/conical cutter.

1 person likes this

On 29/07/2019 at 11:18 AM, takeiteazy said:

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get something so that roots do not block up an IWS Flood/drain system.

What are better to stop roots blocking the lines? The large copper discs that sit in the bottom of the basket or the smaller straight inserts that just stick in the end?

Has anyone got experience of either?

Thanks

The copper discs dont do jack shit, and the inserts I cant comment on as Ive never used them. Best bet which has been suggested is use the copper discs, but still turn the pots regularly. After a while they tend to stop going down the pipes, but do it anyway.

Which inner pots are you running and what medium ?

I run an IWS F&D with the larger pipes and fittings, and I dont bother with the discs anymore, just spin them once a week or more. I run clay pebbles mixed with rockwool croutons in mine.

On my next run im going to try out using the Rhizo bags with clay and rockwool croutons inside of the Punched Pots.

Checking the pots regularly is quite easy aswell, you dont need to take them out completley, just let the system fill, then lift the inner pots to see if all the pots have filled to same level. If they havnt, youve probably got a blockage. If you run a scrog on this system its gonna be a ball ache

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

The copper discs dont do jack shit, and the inserts I cant comment on as Ive never used them. Best bet which has been suggested is use the copper discs, but still turn the pots regularly. After a while they tend to stop going down the pipes, but do it anyway.

I run an IWS F&D with the larger pipes and fittings, and I dont bother with the discs anymore, just spin them once a week or more. I run clay pebbles mixed with rockwool croutons in mine.

On my next run im going to try out using the Rhizo bags with clay and rockwool croutons inside of the Punched Pots.

Checking the pots regularly is quite easy aswell, you dont need to take them out completley, just let the system fill, then lift the inner pots to see if all the pots have filled to same level. If they havnt, youve probably got a blockage. If you run a scrog on this system its gonna be a ball ache

Running a scrog you have to remove pipes to physically check, hands and knees job..

1 person likes this

Fish tank power head aimed to blow root away from outlet? 

47 minutes ago, trichomehi said:

Running a scrog you have to remove pipes to physically check, hands and knees job..

Yep, fuck that. Unless you have 360 degree access to the tent or grow its gonna be a nightmare.

2 people like this

On 17/08/2019 at 3:39 PM, Mike Hunt said:

I will be running the same an IWS F&D mate.

I will be using mesh pots and pebbles only (plants in jiffy then onto 3" cubes), i have seen rockwool/Rhizo bags block these systems! 

Why would you want to introduce them to a clean hydro set up? It makes no sense to me to be 'holding' stagmant water? Or am i missing something??

Also i just measured up and planned on a 3mx3m tent BUT the room is 20cm to short and i can not seem to find a 3mx2.5m or 3mx2.4 ? They all seem to be 3mx1.5!!!!

Cheers guys

2 people like this