Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Budmaster66

Oscillating fans on or off when lights out ?

Hi guys quick question I have just purchased a cannatronic 4 way contactor with a heater socket which I believe is designed to switch the heater on as the lights go out?

Which will come in very handing in the colder months and as also as got me thinking if the heater is set to come on as the lights go off to keep the lady's warm and toasty will the air movement from the 2/3 oscillating fans cool the air down and make the heater have to work harder to maintain the set temperature ?

sorry I should mention I will be using a GAS enviro controller which has day/night modes for temperature and humidity and will speed up or slow down the  intake and exhaust fans to reach the desired setting 

or is having the air movement more important to stop molds bud rot and so on 

thanks for any help tips or comments 

peace out 

1 person likes this

I'd run them 24/7.  Better for the plants.

I believe starting fans is hard work and it's better just to turn them on and run them until they die.  If a fan has to deal with start up inertia each day I'd say it will die quicker than a fan running continuously. 

Just my opinion.

;)

4 people like this

Fans dont cool air they just move it about. presume your heater on a thermostat too ?

Keep them on .... ive run several pretty continuously for 4 years . They dont burn much power , keep the air moving so reducing chance of mould growth, and the moving air will encourage the plants to grow stronger, and help pull nutrients up the plant as it transpires. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Budmaster66 said:

Hi guys quick question I have just purchased a cannatronic 4 way contactor with a heater socket which I believe is designed to switch the heater on as the lights go out?

Which will come in very handing in the colder months and as also as got me thinking if the heater is set to come on as the lights go off to keep the lady's warm and toasty will the air movement from the 2/3 oscillating fans cool the air down and make the heater have to work harder to maintain the set temperature ?

sorry I should mention I will be using a GAS enviro controller which has day/night modes for temperature and humidity and will speed up or slow down the  intake and exhaust fans to reach the desired setting 

or is having the air movement more important to stop molds bud rot and so on 

thanks for any help tips or comments 

peace out 

I have a GAS enviro controller too. I have connected; intake, outtake, oil heater and lights. I set the temps for day and night then make sure there is negative pressure for the fans, lights set using the timer function. I also have a monkey fan running 24/7

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I turn fans off when the lights are off in veg and leave them running 24/7 after the first week or two of flower.  I don't run the extractor fan lights off in veg either, helps me keep humidity high.

Edited by FatBoy77
2 people like this

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

I believe starting fans is hard work and it's better just to turn them on and run them until they die.  If a fan has to deal with start up inertia each day I'd say it will die quicker than a fan running continuously. 

Just my opinion.

;)

Thanks for your reply this is what it have done in the past turn them on and forgot about them. But I have invested a lot of time and money into getting the most out of my grow space so I'm looking into every part of my growing now lights, feeding, environmental and so on 

My ultimate aim like thousands of others is to achieve 1gpw of lighting I'm just starting my first scrog which will hopefully be the first step to achieving this fingers crossed

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bartyfartblast said:

Fans dont cool air they just move it about. presume your heater on a thermostat too ?

Keep them on .... ive run several pretty continuously for 4 years . They dont burn much power , keep the air moving so reducing chance of mould growth, and the moving air will encourage the plants to grow stronger, and help pull nutrients up the plant as it transpires. 

Thanks for your reply I think that's what I will do run them constantly 

46 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler147 said:

I have a GAS enviro controller too. I have connected; intake, outtake, oil heater and lights. I set the temps for day and night then make sure there is negative pressure for the fans, lights set using the timer function. I also have a monkey fan running 24/7

How do you find using the enviro controller any tips or advice I haven't got mine setup yet as I'm still finishing off my groom (diary in grow room photos in interested) do you use ec fans or ac? 

Is it easy to setup and operate ? 

Sorry for all the questions but your the first person I have spoke to who owns one lol

5 hours ago, Budmaster66 said:

How do you find using the enviro controller any tips or advice I haven't got mine setup yet as I'm still finishing off my groom (diary in grow room photos in interested) do you use ec fans or ac? 

Is it easy to setup and operate ? 

Sorry for all the questions but your the first person I have spoke to who owns one lol

Honestly it was really easy to setup, and it seems to be doing a really good job of keeping the environment within the parameters one of those nice purchases that just seems to work :)

I use AC fans, I did need to adjust the settings slightly to maintain negative pressure but other than that all good.

I do get the feeling that ext1 or 2 should be a humidifier rather than the lights I have plugged in though...

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Dirk_Diggler147 said:

Honestly it was really easy to setup, and it seems to be doing a really good job of keeping the environment within the parameters one of those nice purchases that just seems to work :)

I use AC fans, I did need to adjust the settings slightly to maintain negative pressure but other than that all good.

I do get the feeling that ext1 or 2 should be a humidifier rather than the lights I have plugged in though...

Im going to be using phresh hyper EC fans with mine so I was hoping it would be easy to setup and it would give me any hassle.

I'm going to run my lights on there own 4 way contactor and use the ext 1 and 2 for oil filled rad and humidifier or dehumidifier 

it looks a really well built robust item and the 2/3 people who I have spoke to about them all seem to be pleased with there bearing in mind 1 of them was the man who sold me it in my local grow shop. I have tried to find videos on them on YouTube but carnt seem to find any 

1 person likes this

On 28/07/2019 at 0:58 PM, Phoenix said:

Just my opinion.

;)

It’s the start that kills motors, for example Some compressors have a starts per hour figure quoted in the tech data!

1 person likes this