Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

yabbah

Opinions on this IKEA plant starter?

Looking at different options for starting off some seedlings and came across this thingy:

The led is made by a company called vaxer, can't really find much about them. 

How much growth do you think 2 seedlings could get from this light? currently have them on the windowsill but know they can't stay there for much longer.

Will be getting a larger light (at least 400watt) in a month or so

1 person likes this

Handy little thing :yes:  being the stingy fucker I am I'd probably whip up something myself rather than part with £27 :sadwalk:

3 people like this

I used a miracle hydrogro to start my seedlings off once and I just harvested it.  Didnt seem to do it any harm.  I was a beginner just fooling around and seeing what worked.  I used a sponge.

I had to move them after about 3 weeks as they outgrew the light.  

Nice one for the heads up, @yabbah. I'm tempted to get one for a paphiopedilum hybrid (an orchid) I've divided. It'd be perfect.

Or steal the idea, as jim said. I'm tight too (hence the divisions!).

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
an. One character changed within 3 secs of posting. Fuck you edit nag box - fuck you.
2 people like this

Picked one up second hand for 20 bean yesterday.

Just in time as I came home this morning and the two plants had been knocked off the windowsill by the curtain! They'll survive..

Had an idea last night, may remove the light thats in it and replace it with some custom made COB LEDs and a driver

21 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Nice one for the heads up, @yabbah. I'm tempted to get one for a paphiopedilum hybrid (an orchid) I've divided. It'd be perfect.

Or steal the idea, as jim said. I'm tight too (hence the divisions!).

The one I've gotten only has 3 LED panels on the top, so we'll see how well it works..im skeptical that this will have enough wattage to grow two seedlings..

This the one with the Samsung lm561c same as the the old Quantums used? Remember reading about theese a while back when looking at samsung-strip-kits 

That's them I read elsewhere somewhere that they use lm561c leds but not 100% sure and at 10w decided I didn't want to buy it 

There is another type of ikea grow bulb that uses a e27 screw that uses the lm301b setup but again it's just Internet whispers and at 10 each bulb you might as well buy a quantum board lol

Reckon OK for seed starting but not for much else for us. 

Just found out this LED is only 10 watts..not sure if thats for each panel or all 3.

Should I just go ahead and get a 100watt CFL/LED for these or wait and see what happens?

Are you just after a light for starting off and seedlings?  I bought two T5's three years ago and still can't fault them, one bulb broken by me, other than that no problems.  Good for up to three weeks as well, no wuckas.  Haven't found a mother yet but I'd be using it for that too.