Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenVision

RO in DWC.

Hi all, hoping a few folks here that use DWC might be able to help out, I think I know what I'm doing..... Think.... :unsure:

I have 2 week old seedlings, and its a bit of a step when they go into my RDWC as the buckets are bloody huge, so I want to try and get it right. I've always used tap water and being super hard water this usually dictated how I add nutrients, it was always a case of go as low as I dare. But now I have the RO filter, and the water is coming out so low an EC my Blue Lab cant actually read it, in fact the first time I tried to measure the water out the RO my meter brain farted and went a bit funny so I assume the EC is lower than 0.1.

So I have Cal/ Mag and Soft Water nutrients, what sort of EC should I be aiming for, the plants are literally 3" high babies atm and this is they're first introduction to proper hydro nutrients.

Thanks.

GV.

Posted (edited)

Hi mate, 0.2 to 0.4 ec was what I would add back when I was in dwc depending on stage of growth. Hope this helps. You're ec pen will not register the RO mate as it has 0 minerals in the water.

Edited to add more info.

Edited by ukbudz
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Going to give you these in ppm as I just find it more easier to work in using a Truncheon... I am about 350ppm in early veg.. It is very dependent on your nutrient profile though. GHE or House & Garden for example will require a 150-200 ppm cal-mag supplementation when using RO water.

I am 400ppm nearly all of veg, plants 4 foot high and 4 foot wide. Anything higher will start to see signs of over fertilising. Obviously some plants can take higher but it is to no gain. RDWC I would maybe shave 50ppms off again being so readily available to the plant. This is DWC experience my answer is based on. I don't know how you change your resevoirs etc. But in DWC buckets I will top up with plain RO water until I have put in the volume of the bucket again, and then res change.. This also stops over fertilising and save the need to flush out salts so regularly. You can of course use your Truncheon to dial in based on EC going down and PH rising and top up with solution accordingly. But I have done both methods hwith no yield gain.. So go with the easy option no?? I don't know if this is a wise option with an epi center serving several buckets though, so best to speak with someone using one of these systems ;)

Hope that is some help mate, will keep an eye out for your diary update - I take it this is "The New" run?

Edit: ppm referenced is 0.5 scale.

Edited by InTheSystem
ppm scale
1 person likes this

@InTheSystem I have Shogun A & B and Shogun Cal/Mag. I have started to fill the system up with 100% RO. I was thinking stay below 400ppm tops. 

I'll try it at 100ppm Cal/Mag first then up to 300ppm with the A & B see how I get on. 

Just trying to get a rough idea of what folks are doing with the DWC and RO water, its still quite rare to see so info is limited. 

I was flipping a coin over making up the first 100ppm with tap water to add any micro nutrients I may miss then fiddle with levels using the Cal/Mag and nutrients until I get to 300-400ppm.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, GreenVision said:

@InTheSystem I have Shogun A & B and Shogun Cal/Mag. I have started to fill the system up with 100% RO. I was thinking stay below 400ppm tops. 

I'll try it at 100ppm Cal/Mag first then up to 300ppm with the A & B see how I get on. 

Just trying to get a rough idea of what folks are doing with the DWC and RO water, its still quite rare to see so info is limited. 

I was flipping a coin over making up the first 100ppm with tap water to add any micro nutrients I may miss then fiddle with levels using the Cal/Mag and nutrients until I get to 300-400ppm.

Honestly, nutrients are so readily available in these kind of systems, less is more. I would just go RO and add in 100ppm cal and 50ppm mag (sorry I am unfamiliar with Shogun to know its cal-mag ratio). You probably wont need any base nutrients until another week or two to be honest, its the cal and mag requirement which will hit you - usually tap water is packed with it. Most cal-mag carries enough nitrogen until they start to get a big bigger - also running just cal mag will force roots to seek over nutrients and shoot into your buckets faster.

1 person likes this