Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vindi

Bud boost accelerators

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

Im currently in week 4 of flower and have just ran out of canna boost accelerator, its done a decent job but was wondering if there was other good alternatives to it as its quite expensive?

Its £50 a litre and im currently using about 80-100ml per feed so im hoping theres something just as good out there for a lower cost

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vindi

Edited by Vindi
Wrong spelling
1 person likes this

Not sure if its the same as what you have been using, but I like Mills C4.  Organic feed for weeks 3-5, still £40 a litre though.

1 person likes this

I dont use any boost at all now mate as its not needed ime 

A cheaper version is hesi boost if you want an alternative though

4 people like this

3 minutes ago, bubbly82 said:

I dont use any boost at all now mate as its not needed ime 

Fairplay. 

What's you're method then? Biotabs? 

Just a n00b gathering expertise. 

Many Thanks 

Shogun boost is an alternative, which costs a lot less.

Have a look mate.

I have used boosts in the past but cant tell you if they are any good or not because i have changed strains and setup each grow.

Personally i would refrain from listening to anyone who hasn't run the same strain over, with and without a boost. Most people on here will tell you they are overpriced, and not necessary. Until i have tested for myself in controlled tests i wont know. 

Now i have a mother plant i am going to run a few tests myself. Only way to really know for sure. Just ordered some Shogun Boost myself due to  cost, and low dilution rate.

5 people like this

@Stashmonger i only use canna a&b as my feed, rhizotonic added through veg stage then i add cannazym from late veg through 12/12 pretty much til flush 

I used to use boost but ive found it can affect the end flavour

If your setup/environment is spot on then thats boost in itself 

2 people like this

@Alan Johnson i used to swear by boosts mate but ive done green poison with and without boost and got similar results both times, and black d.o.g this time there were so many more crystals without using boost

Never used boosts. Been growing out the same pheno for over a decade so its easy (for me) to see what improvements might happen when I change anything. I use soil but for the past couple of years settled in H and G batmix, 1L of worm castings per 10 of soil and use only organic flower feeds, biobizz, oldtimes. Try to use 18L pots and keep veg to maybe 4 weeks so there is plenty of nutes in the soil, more so with extra bat guano and worm castings.

What improves environment no end is better extraction/intake, better lighting. Saw amazing improvements with CMH lighting over HPS.

I used to hear a lot about boosters, some work great but wipe out the taste of the bud! Think they are banned. The nasty stuff a dodgy grow shop worker will pull from under the shelf. A mate bought some in the early 90s and it ruined an entire crop. Turned it rock hard, wiped out the smell and taste and gave twice the yield of shitty tasting moody bud.

PK 12/13 and its variants are fair play in hydro. All I ever needed for a bloom boost in soil.

4 people like this

On 14/07/2019 at 9:32 PM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

A mate bought some in the early 90s and it ruined an entire crop. Turned it rock hard, wiped out the smell and taste and gave twice the yield of shitty tasting moody bud.

Sounds like he was sold Superbud 100 quid a  bottle.  Its around the time I remember several of my mates experimenting with it pretty much on the back of the hype . The shop that was selling it couldn't praise it enough. 

It actually contained paclobutrazol (sp) which was cheap as water and was in general use by councils up.and down the land . They used it to keep hedges and runaway greenery under control by wholesale spraying ...iirc it induced a sort of dwarfism.  

The company had a load of more conventional nutes . I documented  a trial grow 16 or so years back on 420 ...they worked but had a strange taste . Superbud must have made a mint for the them but I.disnt hear of.one crop that was improved and many totally lost .

A salutary lesson  ...caveat emptor.....( beware of dogshit nutrient )

2 people like this

1 hour ago, cf said:

Sounds like he was sold Superbud 100 quid a  bottle.  Its around the time I remember several of my mates experimenting with it pretty much on the back of the hype . The shop that was selling it couldn't praise it enough. 

It actually contained paclobutrazol (sp) which was cheap as water and was in general use by councils up.and down the land . They used it to keep hedges and runaway greenery under control by wholesale spraying ...iirc it induced a sort of dwarfism.  

The company had a load of more conventional nutes . I documented  a trial grow 16 or so years back on 420 ...they worked but had a strange taste . Superbud must have made a mint for the them but I.disnt hear of.one crop that was improved and many totally lost .

A salutary lesson  ...caveat emptor.....( beware of dogshit nutrient )

Thanks for that pretty informative answer. Always wondered what it was but I'd always gone for natural additives using soil and things like worm castings, seaweed, sterilised chicken shit and so on. I did buy into the Superthrive for a while, that's the most exotic 'booster' I've gotten but not used it in 5 yr or so and not really noticed any difference.

I was offered some of the potion but declined as the one my mate got came in a plain bottle. Nothing on there. I know at the time it was all over the UK, in the dodgy grow shops that would sell any old shit to the unfortunate customer who stumbled in not clued up.

My go-to grow shop at the time was legit, sold plenty of useless things no doubt (bottles of snake oil) but the guy there warned me about the bud booster doing the rounds. He was offered it dirt cheap also but they never sold it.

This paclobutrazol is a 'known antagonist of the plant hormone gibberellin', (grabbed off google) so its part of/related to gibberelic acid, which I've used back in the day as it induced male flowers on female plants, leading to the age of the female seed.

I know that bud grown by the booster was awful stuff. Me and a grow buddy both grew the same clones of some Great White Shark, mine were resin fruity heaven, his almost wooden in taste, resin was way lower. Horrible smoke that tore your throat. People kept it for droughts or sold it dirt cheap for the £10 bag sales force to peddle to the unwary.

I see the same old shit booster paclobutrazol is there for sale today, some joker wanting £150 a bottle, others 90. Its got different names now. Different shit, same old story! Caveat Emptor should be every pot heads motto. How many times have we walked into a grow shop, stoned, and walked out with some 'fantastic thing that we never knew we needed?

What was good about searching for this booster was finding gibberelic acid is dirt cheap now.

Enough to make your own bespoke seeds for a couple of pounds. Think I paid 30 quid for some many moons ago.

Dutch master were the culprits. Still around I see . My buddies bought theres at a reputable shop and we had all known the two lads who opened it from the off . The boss who I would t have had as anyone who could be persuaded by hype alone was enthusiastic so it sold well.  Disaster ensued .folks tried at weaker doses better but still way worse than without ...and then iirc a sort of apology from DM saying that SB needed to be a two part additive of slightly altered constituents ....plenty went back in for a second slap in the chops at big money prices...and got more piles of tasteless cack .

I documented a one part DM  nute nft grow.. no superbud....spookily dark green leaves and not a bad result but the weed looked weird and tasted a bit odd . Didn't bother after that 

Blimey giiberillins are involved . Iremeber reading about th acid after getting some equipment at Sunlight systems and seeing a small bottle for sale along with the quite basic lights and tanks they sold. It was no good asking the staff about the  bottle of liquid they either couldn't or wouldn't engage in any form of communication regarding any items stocked by the shop.  I never knew why they were so odd and completely  unhelpful. .

Dodgy grow shops lol there were some really sketchy operations run by a right .mix of oddballs s/h  car dealers space  cadets and generally laid back randoms . There was one that was a nightclub with a sort of castle and battlements scenery inside this huge purple cave complex . I think the owner lived in the murk and sacks of compost.....you could get stuff any time of day or night ...although sometimes it meant pounding on the door for 15 minutes to wake him up

And dodgy stuff too ...one shop sold my mate a quantum generator. !! Not cheap and no idea how it worked he had it lying like a dead submarine on the bottom of his reservoir for ages . ..never got to the bottom of that  gadget. 

Oh for fucks sake  !!!!

http://www.integralhydro.com/flower-dragon/

Its worse than ever now . Paclobutrazol is in several current products as is Alar ..the carcinogenic  spray banned from apples in the 80s .

Alar (it has a nice new  name beginning with D now ) was also in the original superbud.  Did t get picked up coz they did t do the test......Grrrrrrrr...

And ...these things are not on the label it's always some  bollocks about rate compounds specially prepared all natural . 

Several claim to be organic ffs ..so iweed sold as organic in the us for I'll folks for their meds has  carcinogens that can have a long half life 

I think it says pbtzol 1/2 life could be approaching three years .

I haven't finished the wbile article but the hydro industry  is an unregulated evil corporate monster 

F