Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

mitchell68

Fan and controller again

I'm looking at buying a completely over specced fan for my 1.2m tent as will be getting a 2.4m tent in near future. So looking at a kit off #bay consisting of Rhino pro filter 8 inch and 8 inch Rvk but has the option on a L1 fan. Is the L1 fan just a beefed up version?  

Leading on to this I will need a cheap'ish  speed controller (sub £100) that wont make the fan hum as it'll be slowed down by at least 1/2 its power. Looked at SMS inkbird and a few others but don't want to get the wrong one. Slight humming isn't a bother as long as it's not damaging the fan as garage grow. Would want a temp controlled one. I'll be adding an 8 inch intake fan at a later date but will use 1 of my 5 inch (220 or 284 m3/hr) fans for time been with passive intakes if needed. My intake and exhaust are both to outside.

Thanks 

51 minutes ago, mitchell68 said:

I'm looking at buying a completely over specced fan for my 1.2m tent as will be getting a 2.4m tent in near future. So looking at a kit off #bay consisting of Rhino pro filter 8 inch and 8 inch Rvk but has the option on a L1 fan. Is the L1 fan just a beefed up version?  

Leading on to this I will need a cheap'ish  speed controller (sub £100) that wont make the fan hum as it'll be slowed down by at least 1/2 its power. Looked at SMS inkbird and a few others but don't want to get the wrong one. Slight humming isn't a bother as long as it's not damaging the fan as garage grow. Would want a temp controlled one. I'll be adding an 8 inch intake fan at a later date but will use 1 of my 5 inch (220 or 284 m3/hr) fans for time been with passive intakes if needed. My intake and exhaust are both to outside.

Thanks 

I used an InkBird before and for at least the model I had it would only do On/Off for two channels i.e you set the temp and it would either turn the heating channel on and turn the cooling channel off or vice versa. So you could connect a heater and a extraction fan and it would automate when they came on based on the set temp.

There were also multiple scenarios so I our case you could set one temp for day and one for night.

It worked quite well but in the end I upgraded to a GAS enviro controller, mainly because I am a tech whore but also because it would control the fan speed of both the intake and outtake and apply negative pressure etc.

I have seen a few on here use the SMS controller which sounds like it could be good middle ground between the two. 

1 person likes this

I've looked at quite a few controllers but it my price range at moment. Looked at a G.A.S EC1 Thermostatic Fan Speed Controller but not sure if it'll make the fan hum excessively.

will a 8" fan be big enough ? how many lights will you be running ?  also if you want a cheapish basic controller, get a STR.

Posted (edited)

Hi there @mitchell68 After tying out a few fan controllers over the years i can honestly say if you do not want any hum and want to spend sub £100 then get a variac which is totally silent and fully controllable to absolutely any speed to suit your needs. The variac is the ultimate, i think mine is 3A but i only use it to run a 5" Ruck fan for my intake, not sure what the max a 3A can power? Variacs do need to be wired up if brought new.

My second choice and also silent is the 5 Speed Stepping voltage controller which i use to run my 5" extraction fan, mine is the 1.5A version. These also need to be wied up because when you buy them all you get is the box so you need to buy a length of wire, plug and extension socket. The great thing about the stepping controller is that you can if wanted put a double extension socket on them so you can actually power 2 fans if needed. (at the same speed of course) The STR contoller is also sub £100.

Here a picture of my 5 speed 1.5A Stepping voltage controller. >

gallery_46705_4338_303950.jpg

And my 3A Variac. >

large.variac.jpg.0eae0d7050c87ba35fd5f92

I know there are many silent fan controller options now on the market but i see these are quite expensive although they are temperature and capable of controlling many fans at different speeds but if you want to run just a single fan at a constant set given speed then get a Variac, the 5 speed controller is also perfect at its job but of course you do only have the 5 set speeds to play with. With the Variac you can get that exact sweet spot.
If anyone gets one of these 5 speed controllers i done a full write up on here a few years ago now from start to finish on how to wire it up and what you need to buy with pictures in the hope that it will help someone out on here. Hope it helps you too >  Amnesias guide on how to wire up a 1.5A STR Voltage Stepping Fan Speed Controller.

Sorry no guide for the Variac but i'd be happy to help anyone out who gets one. 

All the best. :yep: 

Edited by Amnesia
1 person likes this

Hi @amnesia

Many thanks for the reply I really wanted a temp controlled one but seen a variac 6a for £81 so we are in the right ball park and will possibly be okay for now.

What do growers do with old or surplus to requirements equipment ? 

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, mitchell68 said:

What do growers do with old or surplus to requirements equipment ?

Throw it in the loft or shed lol

e2a : Thinking about it i must have enough grow equipment for several set ups, grow lights i got anything from 125w dedicated cfl's with a proper sunmaster shade, various reflectors, 3 or 4 250w to 600w hps ballasts, spare ruck fans, controllers, 2 tents, big selection of grow lamps and many bulbs only done 1 grow and i got loads of fans various shapes, power and sizes. All the equipment is all good too and just boxed up, put away in the loft. A lot of this stuff i paid good money for too as it was new technology at the time.

I'd love to help a new grower out and give this stuff away but as we know in this country its too risky to advertise anywhere. Best thing i brought though was my set of original Bubblebags which at the time cost well over £100 and i do remember thinking i'll probably not use these much but i do use them for every grow and i must of had ounces of hash from them now so money well spent there.

Edited by Amnesia
2 people like this

I'm already getting a pile of stuff surplus and only been doing it since Feb. Should of bought big in 1st place but live and learn 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, mitchell68 said:

I'm already getting a pile of stuff surplus and only been doing it since Feb. Should of bought big in 1st place but live and learn 

Hindsight is a brilliant thing, i think we growers are all the same. Trouble is new tech always comes out just when you think yours is up to scratch. The real minefield has to be Propogation lighting, so much to choose from! I do love my T5 lighting though, i even purchased 2x 4ft tube setups but only really use one at a time, suppose i got spares though if one gets faulty.

This CMH lighting kit cost me around £400 a couple years ago and to be honest i'd not of bothered with this tech as i was very happy with my 400w adjustable digital hps. Its great lighting but with hindsight i cannot see much improvement over my hps, maybe slightly quicker finishing times and frostier buds but i was very happy with what the hps produced.

Next thing is this LED lighting, not ventured into this yet but i'm keeping an eye on things because surely this is the way forward? Much less heat and if you can get the wattage to match say a 400w hps then that would win hands down.

When i first stated growing i did try and save money, i even made my own propogation light consisting of 5 household CFL's. I wired it all up myself and it done its job to a point until i discovered the big 125w CFL's and was much improved.

Here my first propogation light, cheap as chips. :nea:

post-46705-0-52334000-1326066115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amnesia
1 person likes this

Ha ha ha ha

That propagation light is very similar to what I made but didn't work out for me. 

As you say selling 2nd hand equipment is quite dodgy (maybe a business venture for someone) to keep an even ground. I bought a growers stuff as he was giving up fur a while so got 1.2 x 1.2 tent with fan cf ballast reflector pots, brand new T5 with a 60x60x 100 propagation tent for £80. Haven't found use for prop tent as tried some clones under t5 and they wasn't happy but probably to cold as flourished under mh.