Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Tastebudz420

Can't seem to get my buds to smell good once dry!! Please help

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  I'm reaching out to the community for a bit of help, I'm a novice grower with only around 5 small crops to date. I seem to be doing ok with the growing side of things but am really struggling to get the hang (no pun intended) of the drying and curing process! I am chopping my plants removing fan leaves and then hanging them to dry this time around I purchased a hygrometer to monitor RH and temps was sitting at around 53-58% varied day by day but never went above or below that range and was at a steady temperature of 18-20 degrees. The plants are hanging for around 12 days before achieving a snap on the smaller stalks at which time I am removing the buds from the main stalk proceeding with the final trim to tidy them up and jarring them. Once jarred I am burping for 5 mins each day and rotating the buds around the jar for two weeks all the way up to 1 month sampling the buds at different intervals and I cannot seem to achieve a nice smelling bud. I will lift it out of the jar and it smells really earthy and grassy, once ground up it let's off a much better aroma but still not how it should. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong or if there is any other method I could try to achieve the results I am aiming for. Sorry for such along post but wanted to answer all the obvious questions in my post rather than just saying 'weed don't smell right' and thank you all in advance  for taking the time of reading and hopefully helping out with a few tips along the way :haveadab::smokin:

happy growing and stay high

Tastebudz420:bong:

1 person likes this

I suppose the obvious method is what strain is it?

Plus after burning for a while do you leave them in the jars unopened for a while? After your sure they’re completely dry I leave them in jars, without opening for at least a month.

All this is a cool dark place too.

1 person likes this

I find it happens when it dries too quick and you not let it sweat through now and again. Smell does come back after a bit of curing so take that in consideration too. Good idea to keep the buds on the stems while drying as well. There's lots of sugars and other stuff still in the stems that's breaking down into what makes it tastes and smells nice. Plus it slows the drying down as well.

3 people like this

Give the dried buds a few weeks in an air tight container, be it glass jar, freezer bag/smell proof bag (squeeze out all the air when you seal it), or a plastic takeaway tub.

Air it out every couple of days for 5 minutes, move the buds around a little, over time you will find the aroma and flavour improve.

I think of it like wine, it matures over time and tastes/smells so much better six months later :)

The breed you are growing and the nutrients you feed, plus the general environment will all impact on the end result too.  Try something that's supposed to smell like mad....a heavy cheese.

2 people like this

Hi guys thanks for the replies, it's an orange cookies strain should definitely smell better than it does, smells alright once ground up and get slight taste occasionally when smoking. I think you could be right and I'm being inpatient will give it a try leaving them longer in the jars. Nutes I'm using are organic plant magic nutes and i am using soil as I'm still learning I have just stuck to the reccomended plant magic dosage schedule.

Tastebudz420 :bong:

Hi mate, sounds like you're letting them air dry too long before you cure them.

Give them 5 to 7 days. Try using the environment humidity as a guide. You can always put them into containers and jars and open them up once humidity spikes!

I get 20 litre flat air tight containers. Easy to keep it flat with quantities. 

The guys here have good advice. Research what burbing means, but it's opening the containers. Loads of information online mate, keep searching curing methods.

Also, make sure air flow in your area is low. Too much air flow, dry them too fast.

2 people like this

the drying area must have air movement but never aimed at the buds ..youll blow yer terpenes off into  air never to be seen again ..try this ..after chopping remove fans leaves ..then put them in paper bags for a day or two ..let them sweat ..it starts a form of fermentation ..which helps speed internal sugar conversion ..then hang them up ..without a direct fan on them ..but somewhere so it moves the air around them ..ten to 14 days then back into the paper bags ..leave for a few days just check to make sure no mould in them ..then jar them up and follow the burping technique ..

i bet its the first stage thats affecting them ..like i say ,chop and bag for a day with fan leaves removed ..obviously keep an eye on them as you dont want mould forming .

9 people like this

Hi there , just a simple question , does it smell nice while the plants are alive , say on chop day , do the buds smell good?

im just doing a final trim and Jar up of plants that have been hanging about 4 and a half weeks, some 6 weeks. One thing to bare in mind is that the humidity in my home is very high so drying ( whole plant) does take a long time.  Small stem snap is not dried far enough for me . I like to take it further than that. But be careful don't over dry.  

But I will say is my weed generally honks before it hits the Jar.  

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Strong genetics with good drying and curing processes still won't do a thing if you toasted all your terps when growing.  I couldn't figure out why my dope was so bland until I got rid of the 1000hps.  Now shit hummms.  Hows your temps in flower?

Edited by FatBoy77
3 people like this

Vince this isn't the first time I've heard about the paper bag method but never before at the very beginning will this not flatten the buds prior to hanging? 

Al plants definitely smell good when growing.

Fat boy this could definitely be a factor as my room was constantly in the high 20s low 30s which I believe could be slightly higher than optimum but didn't know it would "toast my terps"

Thanks again everyone for taking the time and reading and replying to my post all advise is taken on board and greatly appreciated.

Tastedabudz420 :bong:

Posted (edited)

If it smells like hay that means it has dried too fast trapping in the chlorophyll I believe. 

I do a very lite trim and remove bigger fan leaves and then give a week to 10 days hanging, then a proper trim and into paper bags for another week, then into jars, the smell usually isnt strong at this point (but does smell like weed not hay), after 2 or 3 weeks plus in the jars (with a little burp each day) the smell gets a fair bit stronger and nice flavours come through. Might have to try this paper bag beforehand method Vince suggests though.

Alas I have never grown my own proper stinky weed like some I have bought, though I dont really want bud that stinks the whole house/road out anyway tbh lol 

Edited by iBMe
4 people like this

30 minutes ago, iBMe said:

If it smells like hay that means it has dried too fast trapping in the chlorophyll I believe. 

I do a very lite trim and remove bigger fan leaves and then give a week to 10 days hanging, then a proper trim and into paper bags for another week, then into jars, the smell usually isnt strong at this point (but does smell like weed not hay), after 2 or 3 weeks plus in the jars (with a little burp each day) the smell gets a fair bit stronger and nice flavours come through. Might have to try this paper bag beforehand method Vince suggests though.

Alas I have never grown my own proper stinky weed like some I have bought, though I dont really want bud that stinks the whole house/road out anyway tbh lol 

it was recently discovered that that grass hay smell is actually a terpenoid itself ..so ..does that exclude the chlorophyll trapped idea ..no ..it could well be that .

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, iBMe said:

What do you tend to grow mate if you don't mind me asking? I get para thinking I'm stinking the drive out when chopping lol. Recently just trimmed and couldn't wait to get it finished for that reason. I'm in a two story flat and the smell really can seep through the walls, It's not happened in this flat, not yet as far as I know. But in my brothers house in 2012 it got through into the neigbours house through walls while chopping. She came and knocked on the door, was fine about it and knew it was definitely a fresh crop smell and not just smoking which was always happening. Just said to try stop it getting through the walls as it's very, very strong.

Not everybody would be like that though, gotta be :ninja:

3 people like this

Always stink to fuck when chopping if you're thinking I have found a magical strain that doesn't? lol If just asking generally though, well its been a while now but I have grown all sorts really, my last 3 grows was Sensi Skunk#1 as I was trying to discover an amazingly strong pheno I have smoked before (didnt find "The #1" but had much nice smoke from them anyway :)), have grown a load of different auto and fems from Sweet seeds and Royal Queen, had a lovely Red Diesel mum for a while. Critical, had a good mum for a couple of years, was practically all I smoked. Had a few Cheeses, Scott's OG, Skywalker OG, could go on, was growing in different shapes and forms for pretty much 15 years with only short breaks here and there, though has been about 2 years since my last grow now :(

erm sorry probably a life story you didn't ask for lol

3 people like this

@iBMe I know all stinks to fuck man lol. Pesonally I've found sweet afgani delicious to be fairly low odor and still pack a punch, stinks when smoked as well real musky, not skunky or anythng, just a realy musky smell. It was a sweet seeds auto strain that got my brothers neghbours knocking, fast bud #2.  The ice cool auto should be better than that one as well. Ice cool was used in the makeup of fast bud.

1 person likes this